Make Mechbays Purchasable Via C-Bills.

13 replies to this topic

#1 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:14 PM

There was a semi-reasonable suggestion on this very thing recently, about having a limited number of Mech Bays that could be purchased with C-Bills. After that, MC would be required for purchase.

We already get four free Bays. I could see them enabling us to purchase another two Mech Bays for C-Bills -- say, around 3-4 million each. After all, these are permanent additions to your account, and certainly at least as valuable as modules.

But no, they shouldn't just enable us to buy unlimited Bays with C-Bills -- and certainly not for a paltry 450,000 C-Bills.

#2 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:41 PM

If you've been playing the challenges this year, you would have earned 7 free mechbays, some even complete with mechs.

#3 DLFReporter

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationAlpenfestung

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:46 PM

Mechbays are imho their main source of 'revenue' and should not be buyable for CB.
Anyone who enjoys this game should be able to afford the 1$ that they cost.

Edited by DLFReporter, 14 October 2014 - 09:47 PM.

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:46 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 14 October 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

If you've been playing the challenges this year, you would have earned 7 free mechbays, some even complete with mechs.

Which can come across harsh - but that also means that there are likely more similar challenges coming that you can earn more with.

#5 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:56 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 14 October 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

...but that also means that there are likely more similar challenges coming that you can earn more with.

True. They might even be rewards for hitting Loyalty Point goals in CW, in addition to being contest/challenge rewards.

#6 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

View PostZelthar the mecha wizard, on 15 October 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

If PGI puts a limit on how many you can buy with C-bills, then it's perfect.

As opposed to a hardcap, after a certain limit, perhaps exponential growth in price?

#7 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostZelthar the mecha wizard, on 15 October 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

...can't use any of the existing payment options.

Can't or won't?

They have a whole new list of payment options:
  • Stripe
  • PayPal
  • Moneybookers
  • Western Union
  • Interac Online
  • InstaDebit
  • UKash
  • GlobalCollect
  • ElectronicCash
  • Maestro
  • Visa Electron
  • Przelewy24
  • SoFort Überweisung
  • SafetyPay
  • GiroPay
  • CashU
  • OneCard
  • Japan Credit Bureau
  • Yandex
  • QIWI Wallet
  • POLiPayments
  • EPS Electronic Payment Systems
  • Bancontent / Mister Cash
  • Carte Bleue
  • Laser
  • CartaSi
  • Malaysian Electronic Payment System - FPX
  • iDeal
  • Nordea
  • Mazooma
  • And more to come!
Should be something in there to cover the vast majority of people.

View PostZelthar the mecha wizard, on 15 October 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

If PGI puts a limit on how many you can buy with C-bills, then it's perfect.

450,000 C-Bills is way too low. It shouldn't be like buying another weapon for a 'Mech - it should take some major saving.

#8 RighteousDude

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

Yes. It would help the player base. Having newbies able to get more than 1 type of mastered mech would greatly encourage new player comebacks. Also removing the "Matchmaker System (ELO)" would do this. Elite players getting stuck with (Lone Wolf Dropping) colossal noobs on their team just to force them to a 1:1 W/L....[redacted]

Edited by Egomane, 16 October 2014 - 01:01 PM.
language

#9 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:20 PM

Which is why I would support C-Bill purchase of up to two (2) more Mech Bays. That would give a total of six (6) Bays that players don't have to pay real money for (or wait for a contest/challenge to win). Six Bays equals two mastered 'Mechs without selling any variants.

But after that, it's time to open the wallet and support the game. I've put over $1,300 into this game ... even the worst cheapskates should be able to fork over $7 for the smallest MC package to purchase more Mech Bays.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 15 October 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#10 Leo Kraeas

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:53 PM

Honestly this is one of those things I talk with a lot of new blood about. People I introduce the game to like it except that they are limited to four mechs in the F2P model. A lot of them quit because of the high cost of mechs and the tax on mechbays. Many cite LoL as an example and they do have a point that it seems unfair to force a transaction every time they want a new "character".
In my opinion the mechbays only being purchasable for MC is actually harming their customer base by driving away new players. Mechbays could easily be sold for 750,000 - 1,000,000 C-Bills which is roughly the MC equivalent and not have to drop the MC cost at all. Players who don't, can't, or won't pay with MC still have an option that allows them to build up a stable to play with while those who don't want to use C-Bills, Which are the only way to buy weapons, engines, equipment, modules, etc... , can still buy them with MC.

I understand that part of what seems like an inflated cost for colors and mechs is because of the fact that the community isn't the massive crowd that LoL has, but we really shouldn't drive those players away that might eventually spend money and allow them to charge less for their product.

#11 monk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

I have always supported the idea of having mech bays purchasable for cbills, but I agree that it shouldn't be cheap. 450k is simply not enough. That's like 3-4 matches for a lot of people. Here are some ideas that could make it viable while not ruining the ability for PGI to stay afloat (assuming charging for mechbays is actually helping, which I'd dispute, but that's neither here nor there).

- what if you could only buy one mechbay for cbills a week (or some similar time frame), This would allow the average player to probably buy 1 a week. Which is more than enough if you're just enjoying slowly playing the game. PGI knows that not all of their players will be paying, and having a larger player base is good for the game. Making players feel stuck is a terrible design flaw that the current mechbay system places on players.
- charge 3-4 million cbills for a bay. It's expensive, but cheaper than most mechs besides lights. This value is high, but not unrealistic. If the average player is making around 80k per match (I think that is the last number I saw that was given by the devs) then that's about 35-50 matches to buy a mechbay. It's a lot, but it also gives them reasons to want to buy premium time (now I can get my mechbays faster! woo! - still making PGI money, but doesn't feel like you have to be nickel and dimed for everything) and get her mechs for the cbill boosts.
- allow bays to be purchased for cbills as you accomplish various goals/achievements in MWO. This will give players reasons to become more invested in the game and progression.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users