7 replies to this topic

#1 VaultTecIng

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Locationgermany

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

Hi there brave MechWarriors!

The following (theoratical) scenario:

I have 1 ton of ac10 ammo in my left torso and 4 tons of ac10 ammo in my legs. As I understand, the ammo in the left torso will be used first. So lets say I`ve shot often enough so that the ammo in the left torso is empty. Now I recieve a critical hit to exactly that spot in the left torso where the ac10 ammo was.

Will it still explode? Or does the game recognice it as empty and thus harmless?

Thank you for your answer in advance.

Good luck on the battlefield.

edit: another question has popped up in our group, and I don`t want to open another thread for it:
we recogniced that the uac5 shoots out 2 shots at once sometimes. Is there a known chance for that? Is this an indicator that the uac5 will jamm with the next shot?
We thank you for your answer to this question in advance too.
And Good luck on the battlefield again :)

Edited by VaultTecIng, 11 September 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#2 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

I believe the game recognizes that the ammo in that location has been depleted, and it will not cause an ammo explosion.

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

Even if it did explode (it won't), it would do zero damage.

Ammo explosion damage is calculated by the number of rounds of ammo multiplied by the damage per shot. There are some types of ammo that do slightly more/less damage per shot in an explosion than their normal damage, but that's roughly how it works.

Thus, if you've expended all your ammo in a bin, it can't hurt you.

Now, with that said, be sure you understand how and when ammo explosions happen.

There is a 10% chance for an explosion when a bin is destroyed, or when the location containing the bin is destroyed. All ammo bins have 10 health, so they need to be crit either once for 10 damage (say, crit by a PPC or AC10), or multiple times with weaker weapons. This, incidentally, is why the "crit seeking" LB-X is actually worse at crit seeking than a regular AC10. Anyways, 10 damage to destroy a bin.

This means ammo explosions are actually very unlikely, unless you've got a lot of ammo in a location.

The Gauss Rifle (not it's ammo, which doesn't explode at all) is an exception. It currently has a 90% chance to explode when destroyed, and only has 5 health rather than the normal 10. However, when it explodes, it only does 20 damage so it's insignificant compared to an ammo bin - most ammo bins work out to roughly 150 damage per ton/bin, which is a lot more hurty.

Now, if the section containing the item was destroyed before the ammo exploded (prompting the test for an explosion), the damage it does will be applied inwards (arm > side torso, side torso > center torso, etc) at 50%, in the same manner any other damage applied to a destroyed mech component is transfered. So, say you have a Gauss Rifle in your arm, and your arm is destroyed. The Gauss Rifle will likely explode as well (90% chance, assuming it wasn't destroyed earlier), and do 20 damage to the now destroyed arm. As the arm is already destroyed, 50% of that damage is applied to your side torso - 10 damage.

And that concludes our Ammo Explosion explanation for today. Any questions?

#4 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Only going to add 2 points...

1 ) AMS Ammo will do 24 points for a full ton.

2 ) Ammo usage pattern is... HD --> CT --> RT --> LT--> LA --> RA--> LL--> RL

#5 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

The game will recognize the ammo as depleted and will therefore do zero damage, however you can still get ammo explosion warning because the ammo crit slot was critted and destroyed and the RNG determined any ammo remaining WOULD have exploded.

#6 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

The UAC/5 can double-fire if you hold the trigger down, or hit the button again while it's still reloading from a previous shot. The weapon has a 15% chance to jam if fired in this manner - single shots (fire, wait for cooldown, fire) should not jam.

#7 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

To answer your UAC5 question: the UAC5 will attempt to fire a second round so long as you hold the trigger down and fire within its 1.1 sec recycle. There is a 25% chance of jam everytime a round is fired. This means that you can pull the trigger having never fired a shot and there is a 25% chance that it will jam.

#8 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

^ Indeed - it's what sets the UAC apart from the standard AC. You can choose to double-shot it, but the risk is that the gun could jam and be useless for a few seconds.

View PostMnDragon, on 11 September 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

To answer your UAC5 question: the UAC5 will attempt to fire a second round so long as you hold the trigger down and fire within its 1.1 sec recycle. There is a 25% chance of jam everytime a round is fired. This means that you can pull the trigger having never fired a shot and there is a 25% chance that it will jam.

As of the September 3rd patch the chance to jam was lowered to 15%.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users