Help For A Returning Player?

8 replies to this topic

#1 CloaknDagger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

So I'm back after a hiatus caused by overplaying and being bored by the super-low income rates that were implemented.

Long story short, I have an XL Engined Cataphract, a ECM Commando, and a Hunchie 4sp with nothing special save a 175 engine and a tag in the head.

Plus about a million C-Bills.

My question is, what should I save up for/buy next? Should I go straight to the Atlas RS I love, but wait a very long time, or should I sell my Hunchie and get a laser Cicada, I've not really used the Cicada and am hoping it proves to be great, especially since it's a giant, better armored and armed Jenner.

Thoughts?

Edited by CloaknDagger, 06 September 2013 - 06:23 AM.

#2 fierymountain

• Pip
  • The Ironclad
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

Your question is a bit vague. What is your play style? Are you front and center and in your face style? Do you like to hide and snipe? Do you like to run circles around people and shoot them in the back?

#3 CloaknDagger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

View PostShenshan, on 05 September 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

Your question is a bit vague. What is your play style? Are you front and center and in your face style? Do you like to hide and snipe? Do you like to run circles around people and shoot them in the back?

I want to have one mech in each category. Right now I usually use an Ilya and do fire support.

#4 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

Are you familiar with the Pilot Lab? In order to level up your mechs and make them better you need three variants (specific types) of a chassis (Commandos, Cataphracts, etc).

You need to unlock Basic skils on three variants so you can start buying Elite skills. Once you unlock all four Elite skills on a variant, the Basic skill bouses will DOUBLE. You will need to unlock all Elite sklls on three mechs in the same weight class to be able to unlock your Master skill. So if you focus on one chassis and get three variants all the Elite skills you can then Master your favorite.

#5 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

Personal opinion here but if you are thinking about a laser cicada, just get a Jenner, you can put 6mlas on the "F" go faster and be harder to hit. The smaller profile and more speed makes a Jenner very survivable, with the rare random placed great shot from an enemy.

#6 CloaknDagger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostJohnny Marek Summers, on 06 September 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

You need to unlock Basic skils on three variants so you can start buying Elite skills. Once you unlock all four Elite skills on a variant, the Basic skill bouses will DOUBLE. You will need to unlock all Elite sklls on three mechs in the same weight class to be able to unlock your Master skill. So if you focus on one chassis and get three variants all the Elite skills you can then Master your favorite.

Woah woah woah woah.

If I buy two more Cicadas, and I get all the basic and elites on all of them, then the basic skills double, so I would get +15% to heat dissipation?!

View PostEaerie, on 06 September 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

Personal opinion here but if you are thinking about a laser cicada, just get a Jenner, you can put 6mlas on the "F" go faster and be harder to hit. The smaller profile and more speed makes a Jenner very survivable, with the rare random placed great shot from an enemy.

Well I looked at it and decided to get a laser Cicada. What you're saying would be true, but I'm running a 340 XL (which saves money because I already had it) and 2xLL + 3xSL. I don't think the Jenner can fit that well, and I wouldn't have wanted to buy a new XL engine.

Plus the Laser Cicada has multiple lasers per hole, and I just love that, makes up for the double armor in MWO almost.

#7 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

Yes, every Basic skill doubles. So Heat Dissapation becomes +15% and Heat Threshhold becomes +20%. So you really want to get your favorite mechs all those Elite skills unlocked.

Just with those two skills it becomes fairly obvious that getting all the Elite skills on a mech is a game changer for that mech.

#8 CPT Orangetayo

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

I grinded through the Cicadas: 2A, 3C, and 3M. I ended up keeping the 3M (ECM), and I'm considering buying the 3C again. Something about a large laser and quad machine guns was just a hell of a lot of fun, albeit not super effective. Cicadas are great because they go soo quickly, you forget that you're in a medium mech sometimes.

However, the Jenners can pack more lasers and go faster.

#9 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostCloaknDagger, on 06 September 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Woah woah woah woah.

If I buy two more Cicadas, and I get all the basic and elites on all of them, then the basic skills double, so I would get +15% to heat dissipation?!

You will need to Basic 3 variants, then you can spend XP on the Elite skills. Once you get all the Elites on a given mech, then that mech's Basic skills double. So you don't have to Elite all three unless you want to.

What I did was Elite all 3 Ravens, then I did Basic on 3 Jenners, sold two, and now working on the Elites for Sarah's mech. Since I elited the Ravens, I will have the Master unlocked once I get Sarah's elited.

Just remember if you upgrade to FF or Endo, then you don't get any of that back if you sell the mechs. I highly recommend stripping the mech clean, including the engine before selling.

One advantage to cheaper mechs is you might be able to buy a 2nd one and thus take advantage of the 2x XP while working the Basics etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users