How To Bring Down A Stalker

81 replies to this topic

#21 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

it is kinda funky to CT a stalker. aim for it's *****. but these days I just like to take them apart bit by bit if I can, right torso, left torso, then look for other threats, then get back to it's right torso, look for other threats, then polish him off. yep, stalkers are pretty nasty to encounter. but as others have stated, getting behind them is good but that's with ANY mech soooooo

#22 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

First...with your build? RUN. RUN THE HELL OUT. Your build is not for anti-assault purpose. Your build is to run around mid-field and create chaos, as well as finishing off. Not mentioning your pathetic CQB loadout.

You know what is the natural enemy of a Stalker? Jagermech with quad-AC2.

#23 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

View PostScav3ng3r, on 06 September 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

Nope, CASE works with XL engine, but why you would put ammo anywhere else by legs, CT, and Head are beyond me.

Like I said, do you have a source? Because everyone else seems to disagree with you.

#24 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Stalker = Easiest and Funiest Assault mech to kill.

I love killing them

#25 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostBoPop, on 06 September 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

it is kinda funky to CT a stalker. aim for it's *****. but these days I just like to take them apart bit by bit if I can, right torso, left torso, then look for other threats, then get back to it's right torso, look for other threats, then polish him off. yep, stalkers are pretty nasty to encounter. but as others have stated, getting behind them is good but that's with ANY mech soooooo

Is so funny to see them trying to turn to find my little jenner hahaha

#26 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

...the hip area is part of their CT.

#27 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

I once got right under the armpit of a Stalker with my Commando and kept zapping it with lasers until it died. Took a hell of a lot of shots lol.

#28 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

CASE might help a chassis mounting an XL on tabletop, where crits are much more limited and determined via die rolls, but not in this game, where torso section removal is basically arbitrary.

#29 Targaryen X

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

Definitely swap FF for endo, frees up an extra 2.47 tons. And move a heatsink to the empty engine slot. And ditch the CASE.

#30 DreadDjinn

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostScav3ng3r, on 06 September 2013 - 02:37 AM, said:

You want to CT core a stalker ASAP, if you can't get the angle to do that, beat on the side torso's, all but 2 variants have no weapon hardpoints in the CT, so once a stalker loses it's side torso's,it's useless.

The best way to kill a stalker is from the back, they have limited speed and turning, so if you are in a faster mech it's fairly easy to get behind one and stay there.

I think anything light harassing a stalker makes a stalker pilot go "Oh sh*t!" That, or being surrounded, but hey, I think that goes for most mechs :)

I actually think the opposite. With bad turn/twist rates and a gigantic side profile (can you even miss it?), it's vulnerable to mobile mechs. I find I hardly have to aim at a stalker at all to get a hit while I'm flanking. I just twist and fire.

#31 MrZakalwe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 640 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

The reason the Stalker is so strong is because it has massive side torsos and a small center torso so aiming for the side torso is the worst possible advice.

Most Stalkers run hot and run double heatsinks so taking off a side torso (and the guns that go with it) will not cut his damage by 50% as he will now fire the remaining guns more often.

Aim at the very top of the stalker to get more CT hits or aim at the pelvis (as mentioned by a previous posted who clearly knows what they are talking about).

In most cases firing at the pelvis (although ideal) will be impossible due to the Stalker's afinity for ridge humping.

#32 Scav3ng3r

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostDreadDjinn, on 08 September 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

I actually think the opposite. With bad turn/twist rates and a gigantic side profile (can you even miss it?), it's vulnerable to mobile mechs. I find I hardly have to aim at a stalker at all to get a hit while I'm flanking. I just twist and fire.

You think the opposite of what I said, but you agree with me.... so how does that work? XD

#33 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

If you want the CT, shoot the crotch. It's visible from pretty much every angle, and very easy to hit.

Otherwise keep shooting one side torso until it pops. They become pretty harmless after they lose one torso(=half their weapons).

#34 Sarevos

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostRoyalewithcheese, on 07 September 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

...the hip area is part of their CT.

View PostTahribator, on 08 September 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

If you want the CT, shoot the crotch. It's visible from pretty much every angle, and very easy to hit.

Otherwise keep shooting one side torso until it pops. They become pretty harmless after they lose one torso(=half their weapons).

qft

#35 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

I dunno if anyone said this in the thread...

Shoot STKs in the balls.

The nuts count as CT.

Hitting side torsos that are already destroyed will transfer damage to the CT, but only 50% of it. So to be clean on the CT, kick them in the balls if you can.

Edited by Ghogiel, 08 September 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#36 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

As as been alluded to already... CASE is useless in MWO with XL engines. Either go CASE/Standard or ditch the case. Personally, I think XL engines on assaults are stupid configs. It makes the big mech soo much easier to kill.

to kill a stalkingbird: (assuming 1 on 1 w/o outside help from either side)

Lock the stalker with the "R" key, then...

I test the legs for the i****t pilot who strips them... they are a lot of these types and when I find one, it is easier to take out both legs than anything else...

After the leg test, assuming the pilot is not an M*r*n and armored the Stalker's legs, then I check for already damaged armor or armor gaps. Go for those, front, back, R/L back/front torso's that are already weak or empty.

I like going for a side torso first as dropping the structure of a side torso does a couple of nice things.
1) if the pilot is a sub-i*i*t and put an XL engine on it then I just killed the mech w/o having to go through the CT (the biggest armor on the mech.
2) If the pilot was smart and used a STD engine then it did not die, but it just lost +/- 50% of its weaponry. Thus making you live 2x longer and giving you more time to finish off the stalker.
on most mechs the side torsos have between 50% and 75% of the CT armor, so it is much easier to go through it when they show it to you. I do not want a stalker hitting me with a full alpha strike.

This method has been refined with over 3600 matches and... well... it works.

Edited by 7ynx, 08 September 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#37 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:05 AM

First, fix your build, got some ideas here already.

Best way is still from the rear but i doubt a victor is agile enough to stay there. I cored a Stalker yesterday with my cicada 3c, ERPPC and 4x MGs in the butt (literally) for some seconds and he went down. If if you're behind him, watch his feet, not the torso. He can't torso twist arround like a Cat so there's the weak spot. If you can stay there.

On the other side, from every other angle i'd always shoot the side torsos. It is amazing how often you find an XL in there, i personally play with some guys since closed beta who do this (and wonder why they die so fast, but don't listen).

And even if not, you take out half the weapons. Stay on that side and you're safe.

Biggest problem with all this, those stalkers are so damn slow that they often come with there bigger brothers to the fight. And that is the problem with them.

#38 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

View PostScav3ng3r, on 06 September 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

Nope, CASE works with XL engine, but why you would put ammo anywhere else by legs, CT, and Head are beyond me.

Not sure if your trolling, but just in case. CASE prevents damage from transferring from your side torso to your CT from explosions. It doesn't prevent explosions from damaging your side torso. So, technically yes case does work with an XL engine. when your side torso is destroyed, none of that explosive damage will transfer to your CT. But it doesn't matter because your dead anyway.

#39 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

View PostDukeDublin, on 06 September 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

Taking out a stalker always works better with an optimised mech. Without changing your mech too much I made this VTR-9K.

Case removed (only stops damage from spreading, so an ammo explosion w/case would still kill your XL engine).

Ammo to the legs because the armour is higher there.

Ferro swapped to Endosteel for extra tonnage.

AMS added for utility.

More heatsinks.

Artemis added to the SRM6.

Not a bad attempt at optimizing his build, but DO NOT put that much armor on your rear CT and rear side torsos! also lose the AMS add more UAC ammo you will need it I assure you. Also with your speed finding cover from LRMS shouldnt be a problem.

#40 Valdae Levien

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

OK quick update, so my actual in-game build does have Endo-Steel, not Fibrous-Ferrous. That's still with 2 PPC, 1 SRM 6, and 1 U-AC5. I've had a busy weekend but managed to squeeze in a few games and made a record of K/D's. I got 12 kills 1 death with the CASE in, and then 7 kills 5 deaths with the CASE out. One of those included getting cored immediately by a sneaky AC40 Jaeger, which hasn't happened since I first put an XL on a Victor.
Probably just coincidence, but I will continue trying both and let you know. Incidentally, my play-style is to stick on the radius of my team, not completely lone wolf but basically to pick off stragglers, weak mechs, LRM boats, and generally cause a little chaos.

Here's some response from your feedback:

The Artemis was a fantastic shout, I tend to stay out of brawler territory but 6 SRM's seriously hurt people. When mechs come face-to-face, it really helps push them back into dual PPC territory.

I only came head-to-head with one Stalker during my testing, and that was as we rounded a corner. I was quick enough to get around him and if I remember we were the last mechs alive.

The legs thing didn't work so well. Maybe I've been unlucky but it really takes a long time to grind them down, and had no ammo explosions. All that time you're taking fire, it's pretty tough.

Same thing with the sides. I saw one overheat, and I must have smashed its side with everything I had. Damn thing just woke back up again until a big daddy Atlas came and stuck an AC20 down its throat. Straight down the middle. I'll try the balls next time!

Strafing seems to be the way, as their torso twist speed seems very slow. So long as you can hit them from the side or get behind them you're more or less safe. Running at 70kmph definitely helps.

The Stalker is a great mech, tough as nails and delivers a lot of punishment. Only thing I hate seeing more at close range is a quad U-AC5 Jaeger. Can't see a bloody thing!

I definitely need more U-AC5 ammo, whoever suggested it. Seem to be going through it like crazy at the moment.

I feel my armour balance is pretty much OK. When facing other Victors I tend to blow their arms off first, something which rarely happens to me.

Edited by Valdae, 09 September 2013 - 09:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users