Trying To Find Mwo Dictionary

29 replies to this topic

#1 Guizan Dixie

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSigtuna, Sweden

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

I have been playing lots of online games in my life starting 30 years ago with various muds. All of the games have had their distinct jargon that is used in game chats and on the forum. I have been searching for a comprehensive list on the forums but have not found one yet. Some I have been able to decode because of me reading lots of Battletech novels like the GLHF one but others exact meaning still elude me, like for instance "poptarting" that I think I understand but not 100%.

So is there such a dictionary? Now with the release of the game close I think new players would benefit from one.

#2 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

ummmm GLHF means Good Luck Have Fun

it isn't MWO jargon

It is internet slang

#3 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

A "poptart" is a mech that has jump jets, stands behind cover, and uses the JJs to peek over the cover to fire off shots at the enemy before falling back behind cover. Generally they are snipers.

If you have other questions about terms we use this is the place to ask, man.

#4 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

Let's see....there is the "Splat Cat" which refers to the Catapult A1 loaded with SRMs, Then there is the "Jaegerboom", which refers to any Jagermech able to equip 2xAC20s. The term "Boat" is used to denote someone who has a lot of a particular weapons system i.e. PPC Boat, LRM Boat....I can't really think of any more that may be specific to MWO. If there is a particular word you don't know post em.

#5 Guizan Dixie

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSigtuna, Sweden

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Thanks, it might me good to make a more complete list including generic online game terms. But for me I now have filled in my blanks.

#6 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:18 AM

View PostGuizan Dixie, on 06 September 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Thanks, it might me good to make a more complete list including generic online game terms. But for me I now have filled in my blanks.

Internet Slang Dictionary
http://www.internetslang.com/

Found by typing "internet slang dictionary" in Google ;)

#7 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

There is no MWO dictionary but it would be nice to have one evenutally. Maybe after launch a community member could put one together for all the new players. Most of it you just have to pick up over time or just ask here or in game.

#8 Imani_

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

Here is more jargon I'd love help with along with two cool links that might help MWO newbs like me.

spamapults = ???
LB10X = ???
LRM5 Suppressopults = ???
pugging = ???
TAG/narc = ??? (targets that are lit up by TAG and/or narc)
vision module = ???
D-DC = ??? (I only run a D-DC just for that very reason. It's really comical to watch golden blobs of flame streaking in the other direction away from me. Some will take advantage of the protection ecm offers against LRMs but most don't.)

http://mwo.gamepedia.com/Main_Page
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

#9 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostBeardedMallard, on 05 December 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

Here is more jargon I'd love help with along with two cool links that might help MWO newbs like me.

spamapults/LRM5 Suppressopults=both are the same. A catapult A1 chasis equiped with 6 LRM (long range missiles)5s that fire a steady stream of missiles for the soul purpose of trolling via cockpit shake.

LB10X =A balistic weapon system that fires 10 slugs at once like a shotgun

pugging = The act of playing in a solo drop (you and 12 other people you don't know) (PUG=Pick Up Group) The oposite is playing in a premade (you and up to 3 others you know) then everyone else is a PUG

TAG/narc = TAG-Target Acquisition Gear/ Narc=Narc Missile Beacon TAG is denoted by a crosshair symbol above the target and Narc by a "wifi" symbol above the target. Both aid in missile lock acquistion

vision module = Zoom module which lets you zoom in to 4x zoom

D-DC = A specific variant of Atlas that carries ECM (the only variant that can) ECM=Electronic CounterMeasures and prevents target acquisition outside of 180m as well as target lock.

#10 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostMnDragon, on 05 December 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

a steady stream of missiles for the soul purpose of trolling via cockpit shake.

Not just for trolling, as, if they have no AMS, the stream of LRM5 will almost purely hit the CT, meaning that it is also one of the fastest ways to core ANY mech you can hit with it.
(esp those that move under 130kph)

#11 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

What people call pop tarting: Jumping and sniping from behind cover.

What is actual pop tarting: Jumping and sniping from the same spot behind cover.

i.e. you just have to watch the rig and eventually they'll pop up in the same exact spot you have your guns, reliably ... like a literal poptart.

The terminology got very blurred over time so now they're generally interchangeable, but poptart was originally a snide way to of addressing someone doing it poorly.

Edited by Victor Morson, 05 December 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#12 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostBeardedMallard, on 05 December 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

spamapults = ???
A name given by poor players to missile-spamming Catapults, which aren't very good anyway.

LB10X = ???
A weapon, the LBX/10, that scattershots like a shotgun. Currently underpowered.

LRM5 Suppressopults = ???
A Catapult A1 spamming 6 LRM5s. Terrible 'mech and a poor LRM choice, but scares newbies through lots of shake/missiles.

pugging = ???
Playing against random groups by yourself or with up to 4 allies; not having organized limits ahead of time and a set opponent.

TAG/narc = ??? (targets that are lit up by TAG and/or narc)
Two equipment pieces that help LRMs. NARC is God Awful, avoid at all costs. TAG Is incredibly useful and should always be on LRM mechs.

vision module = ???
Check the Modules and Piloting Tree sections; it's a category of upgrades you can equip.

D-DC = ??? (I only run a D-DC just for that very reason. It's really comical to watch golden blobs of flame streaking in the other direction away from me. Some will take advantage of the protection ecm offers against LRMs but most don't.)
The ECM carrying model of the Atlas; often just called the DDC because the other Atlas are kind of bad.

http://mwo.gamepedia.com/Main_Page
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

Hope that helps!

Edited by Victor Morson, 05 December 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#13 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 05 December 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

Hope that helps!

I really think, right now, the biggest thing that makes me want to correct your posts, is the "THIS WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!" way you phrase everything.....

Especially when you have been repeatedly shown that, that is not so.

#14 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:27 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 05 December 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

Especially when you have been repeatedly shown that, that is not so.

Because you don't like what I say does not make it any less true.

#15 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:16 AM

View PostscJazz, on 06 September 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

ummmm GLHF means Good Luck Have Fun

Nah, it means ''Got lasers, heat fast''

#16 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 06 December 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

And its true because you say so... Just add IMHO and voila good advice. LBX10 underpowered, lol.

#17 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:31 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 06 December 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

Nice, succinct way to both prove his point and provide a demonstration! :)

Note to OP: While I generally disagree with Mr Morson on most points, he has still been around long enough that you should pay attention to what he says.

Just make sure you find your own playstyle, not his.

#18 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:54 AM

Just to throw this one in as it confused the heck out of me for a while:

0-7 ..This apparently is an honourable salute, and not as I thought for a long time an arrogant way to predict the scoreline!

#19 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:24 AM

Here is an "official" Battletech lexicon. http://mwomercs.com/...tletech-lexicon

This won't tell you what a boomjager or a boomcat is, or how to be a good poptart (or a poptart), etc but it will fill in some MWO technical terms

#20 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:13 AM

--PPC = ParticleProjektorCannon

--LRM = Long Range Missle ( Missles with soft lock on target )

--SRM = Short Range Missle ( fires rockets )

--SSRM = Streak short range missle ( Fires Missles with hard lock on target )

--AC = Autocannon that shoots high explosive armor destroying charges

--Ultra AC = Autocannon with doubbled firing rate but prone to ammo jams

--LB-X AC = Large Bore eXtended Auto Cannon ( A Cannon that shoots a single granade that will fracture upon leaving the barrel creating a cloud of explosive submunitions)

--Laser = continous dmg over time beam weapon

--Pulse laser = much like above but heavier, shorter burn duration and range but more dmg and weight

--MG = classic slug weapon with high refire rate but low single dmg to armor

--Flamer = A fusion driven plasma thrower that can heat up the air around a mech, reducing its heat dissipation and roasting the pilot alive

--ECM = Electronic counter meassure

--BAP = Beagel Active Probe that increases own sensor range, decreases enemys ECM range
( for the BAP user), lowers the users time to get target data, lowers lock on time for missles

--Command Console = This device does not function at the moment but should be something like a second cockpit position if regarded canon wise

-- A4, FCS, Art4 and other = Artemis IV Fire control system for better LRM grouping and lower lock on time

--Cat = a Catapult; there are a lot of curse words or shortwords to describe different Cat configs
- splatterpult, splattcat: Catapult A1 with SRMS
- GaussCat, snipercat = A Catapult K2 with 2 Gauss or sometimes with 2 ER PPC and one Gauss
- KillerCat, trollCat, lolCat, boomCat and so on = A Cat K2 with 2 AC20
- spamcat, L5Cat, (sometimes also described as troll or lol Cat) = A Cat A1 with 6 LRM5 in chainfire

--Phract = short for Cataphract

--Dakkaphract = mostly the Ilya Muromets Cataphract with 3 Ultra AC 5, but I've seen people use it also for other phracts with multi ACs

--D-DC = short for Atlas D - DC, an ECM carrying Atlas variant

-- TT = Tabletop, belive it or not MWO comes from a SF-Universe that developed itself based on a Tabletop game with large robots :)

-- Cravens = a Raven with ECM

-- poptarts = vertical coverjumping powered by jumpjets, sometimes wrongfully also used for horizontal cover runners in citys or similar situations

-- Hunch = Hunchabacks; a medium mech type

-- Cents, Yens, Lo's ... = The medium Centurion Battlemech

--Flyswatter = A mech with a loadout designed to take down scouts rather than larger mechs

.... and so on

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users