View PostRushin Roulette, on 03 December 2013 - 04:52 AM, said:

Its clear isnt it?
"Over paid At-laii Sc-out pai-lots"

You misspelled, it is: "pay-lots"! We are Steiner after all! :(

#22 B0LTCUTTER

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

In my opinion Ryoken is right. The native language of the Commonwealth is German or Deutsch. Steiner, for example, is obviously a german name, if you want to speak it like a lyran citizen, say it like a German native speaker y or ü. Lyranisch. Other versions depends on the speakers origin. Kurita like japanese, The Northwind Highlanders role the r like scottish people, citizens of the Donegal District with an irish colour and so on.

Feel free to say it like you want to say it. There is no right or wrong.

#23 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

Iirc, it is "lee-ran". In MW4, that's how someone pronounced it, so that's how I pronounce it.

#24 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

I pronounce it Lie-ran (though my German training wants me to spell the phonetics Lei-ran and my natural inclination would be to spell it Lye-ran).

TLDR - Long "i" sound.

#25 Eisenblume

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden, the EU

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

In english "lie-ran", because they are named after a lyre. Or perhaps more like lye-ran.

Canonically, what language is spoken is different on different worlds. Steiner speaks german as a first language though, and I think they do on Tharkad too. Skye is scottish if I remember correctly and presumably speak scots-english and scots-gaelic. Tamar are persian if I remember correctly, and Donegal is also scottish?

#26 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostEisenblume, on 23 February 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

and Donegal is also scottish?

If the name is an indication of the founding peoples' origins (as in many cases) then; Donegal would be full of Irish settlers.

#27 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

They are liars and cowards ... so clearly it's pronounced ''Lie - Ran'' ;).

#28 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

I was pretty sure in Mech Commander 2 it was pronounced Leer - ran, but I'd have to reinstall it to be sure.

#29 Madok Pryde

• PipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 39 posts
  • Locationen route to the next DZ

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

View Poststinkypuppy, on 28 October 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

No matter the correct pronunciation I'm just going to keep pronouncing it Lie-ran, I find too many I and E sounds sometimes make things sound less badass. It's like if all the sudden I had to start pronouncing America a-meer-re-ca.

Its pronounced 'Murica!

#30 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

The Lyrans are found in the area defined by the constellation "The Lyre" - which is pronounced as "liar", or:

http://youtu.be/WwRIgLt5At8

by extension, the society in that area would be described and pronounced similarly as an adjective, to whit "Lie" as in "to Lie" or "to tell a falsehood", and -rans, hence Lie-rans.

To pronounce Ly as Lee (as in Leeward side of the island) would be incorrect. Foreign pronunciations aside, the pronunciation of the word Lyre, from the greek, sounds like Liar, not leerer (or lee-rans)

Irrespective of how some of you first heard it, it is pronounced Lie-rans.

Another example, In America, IKEA is pronounced like "Idea". That is incorrect, it is actually pronounced as E-Kea elsewhere because it is a non-word created by the founder of IKEA and that;'s how he pronounced it. In the States, IDEA sounds better and they could "sell it". So, you may be wrong on several words.

Quinoa is pronounced by some as keen-wah. Some pronounce it as Quinoa - guess what, both are correct. Back 30-40 years, however, we only ever called it by the latter making me think someone needed to gentrify the pronunciation to get people to use it.

#31 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 23 February 2014 - 04:49 PM, said:

The Lyrans are found in the area defined by the constellation "The Lyre"...

Actually, not so much; in fact, the principal star of the constellation Lyra, Vega, has had its BattleTech counterpart be, more often than not, part of the Draconis Combine. -_-

The name of the Lyran Commonwealth canonically comes from the original state symbol, the three-stringed Grecian lyre.
This is indicated in the old House Steiner sourcebook.

A refined and educated man, Kevin Tamar had proposed a system of nine ‘archons’ to rule the realm in much the same way the ancient Greeks ruled their city-states. Though, his two colleagues were not much impressed, they eventually agreed to the idea because nothing better had emerged from their talks.
To reinforce the ancient Greek imagery, Robert Marsden proposed the three-stringed Grecian lyre as the new state’s symbol. This symbol eventually inspired a name for the new state: the Lyran Commonwealth.
Thomas McQuiston heartily agreed with the state seal and name. “Tis a good name,” he said, “showing to all that we three merged our realms for our commonwealth and not out of some twisted desire to dominate our neighbors”.

Also, pronunciations of lyra and pronunciations of lyre vary widely, with the German, Czech, and Swedish pronunciations of the former & the French pronunciation of the latter supporting the case for the "y-as-long-e" pronunciation (e.g. "lee-ran") while Anglo-English pronunciations seem to favor the "y-as-long-i" pronunciation (e.g. "lie-ran").

As such, both are arguably "correct".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users