- - - - -

Ramming In To Other Mechs

7 replies to this topic

#1 Great Cracker

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

I'm new and my first mech was a Jagermech because I wanted something with big ballistic guns. I strapped two AC10s to it (120 ammo and then maxed out my armor), but the problem is that late in the game I run out of ammo. When I run out, I just start ramming the other mechs. Is this effective? Also, how do I explode when I die, and if I explode will it hurt enemy mechs?

#2 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

Depending on what weight class you are ramming, you may be doing more damage to yourself than the other guy. You are doing damage, just not a lot.

You may want to think about putting lasers on your Jager so you have something to shoot (and do significant damage) when you do run out of ammo.

Not sure about the explosions, unless it is AMS ammo which is exploding. And again I have no idea about doing damage to other mechs.

#3 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

agreed with johnny, if you're just mounting AC/10s, you should have more than enough weight to put on a couple medium lasers. The explosion is simply cosmetic, it does no damage to other mechs; if your screen says your death is due to "ammo explosion" it's because someone critted your AC ammo and means you might consider putting CASE into where you're storing your ammo, or changing where you're putting OR increasing the armor on that point ORRR using torso twisting to put that section out of enemy fire. ORRRRRR a combination of those things.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

View PostGreat *******, on 06 September 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

I'm new and my first mech was a Jagermech because I wanted something with big ballistic guns. I strapped two AC10s to it (120 ammo and then maxed out my armor), but the problem is that late in the game I run out of ammo. When I run out, I just start ramming the other mechs. Is this effective? Also, how do I explode when I die, and if I explode will it hurt enemy mechs?

It's not as effective as it 'used' to be in terms of knocking enemies down. But it can be effective. I've had 3 cases where it's done something noteworthy.

Catapult. Jumpjetting. I landed on an allied Raven, smashing his leg. We had no enemies with line of sight on us, in fact I had to jump to see any enemies and thus no one could hit him. I heard the limb break sound, looked around to see him limping. In chat he said: "gee tanks i didnt need that leg [expletive]."

Poor guy.

Highlander. A Commando used himself to physically lock me under the air field behind the capital building in River city. At the time the movement code didn't stop you from trying to run and so he kept 'running' into me never stopping. Occasionally he'd teleport. But Highlanders can't shoot at short targets at less than 20 meters so I ignored him and focused on the bigger threats.

All of a sudden I earned multiple component destructions and it said I killed the Commando's pilot name. I laughed pretty hard.

Then there's this which is super easy to find. The Raven ran into my Stalker, breaking his own leg.

The task of killing someone by ramming is best done if you're twice the weight of the victim you want to hurt. If you're equal weight you'll hurt yourself just as much as them. If they have the superior weight you're only jamming the knife in your own side. That said, an Atlas with a 340 engine can do noticeable damage to anything it rams.

And yes, equip other weapons. Myself I use LB-10s instead of AC/10s (2 tons less for a pair and a lot less heat) and back them up with MGs and other weapons.

This is a chase cam Lordred did following my Jager around. 4 flamers (to blind people), twin LB-10 and twin MG.

#5 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

I once ran into a zombied centurion (in my highlander) his center torso was red, poor fella must had 1/2 a hitpoint left cuz it killed him.

at any rate, if you have no weapons left and you're a sluggish mech on a large map then probably the best thing to do is get all up in that face anyways. it's called screening, and hopefully it allows your buddies to regroup or focus fire on him if you step out of their way once they're ready to fire. what else ya gonna do ya know? otherwise go for their cap. returning to your cap might be better but you'd probably get gibbed right away so it's best to draw a mech or two back to their base.

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:41 AM

Generally bumping a mech won't do enough damage to be worth your time. Getting behind an enemy to block his party is helpful though.

The real issue is, what is your jägermech build, you really should be able to fit some medium lasers in there.

#7 Great Cracker

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 07 September 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

Generally bumping a mech won't do enough damage to be worth your time. Getting behind an enemy to block his party is helpful though.

The real issue is, what is your jägermech build, you really should be able to fit some medium lasers in there.
I took Koniving's advice to equip LB-10s instead. 90 ammo (I had 60 ammo before, not 120) cased, and then I just max out everything in armor (Ferro-Fibrous) aside from the legs.

#8 Marvyn Dodgers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostGreat *******, on 06 September 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

In terms of how you explode, essentially your mech just collapses, there is no splash damage to others (just say no to stackpoling :D - look it up regarding previous mech games if you don't get the reference . . . .)

Welcome aboard and have fun!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users