- - - - -

Critical Hits?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Wascot

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:50 AM

I understand the concept behind it, but what happens when you don't score one? Where does the damage end up going? My understanding of a 1x crit hit is that it does 1:1 damage to one of your internal components with the exception of some weapons. What makes a 1x crit hit different from a regular hit to exposed internals? Is there even a difference?

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

All damage dealt goes to the internals. An ac10 does 10 damage to the structure.
IF a crit is rolled, the original damage applies normally and then extra damage is applied directly to a weapon/item. A small portion of the damage generated by the crit roll also then applies to the structure again.

#3 Wascot

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

Alright so where does the buffering mechanic come in if base damage applies to the structure on top of possible crit hits to internal components? How much flat damage can the structure itself take before it fails regardless of any component present (such as a side torso with an XL engine).

#4 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

Internal structure health (hit points, or whatever you want to call it) is dependent on the tabletop values, just like the armor values are. From what I understand, internal structure health was doubled when the armor values were.

Both armor and internal structure are dependent on the tonnage of the 'Mech. An Atlas has stronger structure and more armor than a Spider.

#5 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

View PostWascot, on 07 September 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Alright so where does the buffering mechanic come in if base damage applies to the structure on top of possible crit hits to internal components? How much flat damage can the structure itself take before it fails regardless of any component present (such as a side torso with an XL engine).

The internal structure itself has half the total possible armor of the component. Take the Atlas for example. It has 124 possible armor in the CT. It will always have 62 internal HP. The only component that doesn't conform to this is the head, which has 15 internal HP, and a max of 18 armor. The internal HP can't be reduced if you don't apply enough armor. It's just always there when you drop.

A crit roll that fails does no critical damage. It's largely unrelated to damage to the internals (which are just what your mech's component health is called once its external armor is stripped).

Crits primarily deal damage to the items stored within components (like a weapon stored in the right torso). Only 15% of the damage dealt in a successful crit transfers back into real damage to the internals. If you 1x crit a component with an AC/10, you deal 11.5 real damage and 10 damage to an item stored in the component. If there's no item to hit? You still get the extra 1.5 damage from the 10 damage crit.

Buffering comes into play once you score that initial critical hit. Okay, you have a 1x crit that needs to hit something in a component. You have a DHS and a ton of Ammo in that component though, and each have their own health pools of 10 each. How does the crit decide where to land? The system actually rolls AGAIN, except this time it uses the critical sizes of each item stored in the component comapred proportionally together as its chances. The DHS has 3 crit slots, and a ton of ammo occupies 1 crit slot. You have a 75% (3/4) chance of the crit landing on the DHS, and a 25% (1/4) chance of the Ammo.

Edited by Selfish, 07 September 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#6 Wascot

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:53 AM

So in essence any hit to exposed internals does base damage to the structure itself regardless of crits and the total hp of that compartment is half the max possible armor for that specific body part?

Using the Atlas as an example, I would need to deal 62 base damage to an exposed CT to bring it down. Any critical hits adds a % multiplier to my base damage against the exposed internals when landing a successful crit hit. If I land a crit on the engine with 15+ damage then the Atlas dies even without dealing the 62 damage needed to bring down the CT itself.

Did I get that right? Does it apply to all other structural components? Also do heatsinks applied to the extra engine slots count as buffers?

#7 Kekkone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:02 AM

View PostSelfish, on 07 September 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

The internal structure itself has half the total possible armor of the component. Take the Atlas for example. It has 124 possible armor in the CT. It will always have 62 internal HP. The only component that doesn't conform to this is the head, which has 15 internal HP, and a max of 18 armor. The internal HP can't be reduced if you don't apply enough armor. It's just always there when you drop.

I was under the impression it's 50% of allocated armor. Seems i'll have to test it to get some solid evidence!

EDIT: I was wrong! Tested it with an HGN arm, 30 points of armor and 0 points of armor. 30 points took 12 med laser hits, 0 points took 6.

Edited by Kekkone, 08 September 2013 - 01:25 AM.

#8 Intruder

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

Aye Internal Structure is literally your skeleton and is a fixed value based purely on the weight of the Mech.
In MWO they doubled these values when they doubled the armour-per-ton.

There's no way to increase it or change it other than Endo Steel which just means the same skeleton has less mass.

#9 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:46 AM

View PostWascot, on 08 September 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

So in essence any hit to exposed internals does base damage to the structure itself regardless of crits and the total hp of that compartment is half the max possible armor for that specific body part?

Using the Atlas as an example, I would need to deal 62 base damage to an exposed CT to bring it down. Any critical hits adds a % multiplier to my base damage against the exposed internals when landing a successful crit hit. If I land a crit on the engine with 15+ damage then the Atlas dies even without dealing the 62 damage needed to bring down the CT itself.

Did I get that right? Does it apply to all other structural components? Also do heatsinks applied to the extra engine slots count as buffers?

1) Yes. All damage deal to Internal will be full weapon damage + critical if any.
You have a chance to cause critical as long as that component have at least 1 equipment. This include the engine or part of the XL engine.
Destroying ammo via a critical can kill the mech instantly by causing ammo explosion.

Note on weapon damage
Each weapon have an optimal range, this number is shown next to your weapon in the HUD.
Taking the AC/10 as an example; the listed optimal range is 450m. Hitting a target within 450m will deal full 10 point damage, and the damage decrease as further you gets away from the optimal range until reaching max range for 0 damage.
*Rule of the thumb*
Ballistics's max range is 3x of optimal.
Energy's max range is 2x of optimal.
Missile's max range is 1x of optimal.

2) Yes, Internal HP is always 50% of max Amour on that component.
Except the head, which always have 15 HP.

3) Currently Engine HP is not yet implemented in the game.
So critting the engine will not kill a mech faster, but the 15% critical damage is still apply to the Internals.
Destroying a component holding the engine or part of the engine will still list it as engine destruction kill.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users