• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

Ok,

So engine affects:

Top speed
Torso twist speed?
Turn speed?

Does it affect anything else such as acceleration or deceleration?

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:35 AM

I think that Top speed, torso twist speed, turn speed, and acceleration and deceleration are all effected by a combination of engine rating and type of chassis.

Edited by mailin, 07 September 2013 - 04:39 AM.

#3 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de
Click on the 100-245 on engine row (or 100-300 whatever the mech you choose as example), different mech different effect, heavier slower obviouslyt.

Edited by gamemania666, 07 September 2013 - 04:47 AM.

#4 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:50 AM

Mechromancer is the only tool that effectively shows the values you are referring to. You can find the information under the Mobility Tab of a Mech Build.

http://mechromancer.wordoflowtax.com/

EDIT: Having Goons around makes the game better and gives me more people to shoot ;)

I :) Goons!

Edited by scJazz, 07 September 2013 - 04:51 AM.

#5 Marvyn Dodgers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostscJazz, on 07 September 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

Mechromancer is the only tool that effectively shows the values you are referring to. You can find the information under the Mobility Tab of a Mech Build.

http://mechromancer.wordoflowtax.com/

EDIT: Having Goons around makes the game better and gives me more people to shoot ;)

I :) Goons!

Are you a non-Goon Capellan Jazz?

#6 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

View PostMarvyn Dodgers, on 07 September 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

Are you a non-Goon Capellan Jazz?

I'll never be a Goon, Marvyn! I hate playing Forum Wars, tyeping bdaly, spamming Good Fight, etc.

I have spent absurd amounts of time shooting at stuff with Goons and shooting at Goons in EvE though ;)

#7 Marvyn Dodgers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

View PostscJazz, on 07 September 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

I'll never be a Goon, Marvyn! I hate playing Forum Wars, tyeping bdaly, spamming Good Fight, etc.

I have spent absurd amounts of time shooting at stuff with Goons and shooting at Goons in EvE though ;)

Good to hear, just wasn't sure if you were being ironic/facetious or not. I gave up on EVE a while ago, too many moving parts for this lowly hisec care bear. May have to look back into STO though . . . (curse you Van Hemlock . . .)

#8 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

I used mechromancer but the turn speed got worse as the engine got bigger.

Perhaps this is due to the fact that if you go faster you turn slower and a larger engine goes faster? Perhaps if turn speed was calculated at the same velocity instead of at max velocity the larger engine would indeed turn faster?

#9 Lictor

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostJabilo, on 07 September 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

I used mechromancer but the turn speed got worse as the engine got bigger.

Perhaps this is due to the fact that if you go faster you turn slower and a larger engine goes faster? Perhaps if turn speed was calculated at the same velocity instead of at max velocity the larger engine would indeed turn faster?

operating as intended, its harder to take tight corners at high speed

#10 Mavek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

word to the wise...movement speed is good for survivability. it is true, the faster you are going, the wider your turn will be.

HOWEVER, speed is very important in this game. If you watch the really really good players, you will see that they are almost never shooting from a stationary position. This is because the slower you are moving, the easier you are to hit.

You may also see some players doing the 'circle of death'. The harder you make it for your opponent to target you, the more likely you are to survive and win.

Also, having the speed in your mech to get you out of trouble as quickly as you got into it, is useful. One of the biggest mistakes players make with assault mechs, is thinking they can waltz up and stand in front of the other team and take them all out. Wrong. Big mechs have two weaknesses...they are big and slow, a double whammy to their vulnerability to being hit.

So while you can ask about specifics of an engine, they are largely unimportant. The bigger the engine, the faster you go. From there, you simply need to balance the weight of the engine against the benifits of movement your piloting ability allows you to squeeze out of it.

Then XL vs standard engine comes into play. I think the easiest way to anser that question is: If you plan on standing still, use a small standard engine for survivability until you learn to shoot. If you plan on getting good at the game, learn to shoot while moving, and the better you get, the less the XL engine will become a liability to you, and therefor you should use the biggest XL possible that allows you to move the fastest at all times and still leaves room for you to load the guns you need.

More important to the performance of the mech is its 'archtype': Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault. The smaller you are, the faster everything is: accel, decel, torso twist. This is how the lighter mechs begin to balance out against the bigger mechs. Then Hitboxes come into play, and they play a bigger role the smaller they get.

#11 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

Very well written Mavek!!

#12 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts