Lumping "Scandinavia" in to one single folder?

58 replies to this topic

#21 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

its just a specific place to call our own i guess..

#22 DrHat

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationDenmark, capital area

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

Essentially the reason was because the main scandinavian countries (Denmark, Sweden and Norway) all speak languages that, with a bit of minor effort, everyone in that group can understand. Secondly it was because people requested it and thirdly because I agreed with the request and put the argument forward as "us scandinavians are like..cool with each other etc."

Also, Scandinavia and the world FTW! :rolleyes:

#23 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

*does a miniwave* yay summer is commin and so are MWO!!!!

#24 maximi

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:16 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 22 June 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

We Norwegians don't really have any problem with Swedes. Not really. Well, except for the fact that they created IKEA which has been scientifically proven to be a blue and yellow furniture-selling hell on earth. For this they can never be forgiven. Other than that we like 'em well enough. After all, if there were no Swedes then who would work as waiters in every Norwegian restaurant? :)

Posted Image

#25 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

i understand norwegians got probs with reading IKEA blueprints(holdin them up side down)..nothing wrong in that.. :D

#26 Johannicus

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

Its intresting how so many forget Iceland aswell when they mention the Nordic countries. ;D

#27 Mattrixx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 108 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

Well, you fellows have it easy (Scandinavian countries). At least your language is at least a little similar and can get by.
And thus us Finns get stuck in the middle again. :)
We are lucky the Russians haven't been force fed onto us too. :)

#28 Myssi

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Well, I'll be providing this lot the necessary amounts of '*******' then since we didn't get our own Finnish forum. I don't think I can disguise myself properly as a scandinavian though since my Swedish is bit flimsy even at it's best.

Edit; I like how the forum still knows finnish swear words and censors them.

Edited by Myssi, 15 July 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#29 DrHat

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

I'd be more than happy to welcome the FInnish in our midst..just keep that knife away from me o_o (Scandinavia and the world comic-knowers, know what im talking about :P)

#30 jsa

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

Oh well, same problem in here as in some other games where there is so-called national forums. It just boils to language barrier where as most of finns have some sort of Swedish education in schools, I doubt that rest of Nordic countries have Finnish language as option even education path selections during grammar schools. In playschool (ww2ol) were bit different, but then again forum traffic in national forums was pretty low, and finns tended to discuss things elsewhere. (Or in IRC...)

Boiling point might be that if there starts to be finnish language threads here, it might be bit problematic to moderate them? Unless there is moderator who reads finnish language OR there is clever use of Google's translator service ?

But hopefully things stay civil and there will be little need for moderation :D

#31 DrHat

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

So far it has been the easiest ride as a moderator I've ever had, if you don't count all the normal forum moderation outside the scandinavian forum.
I know its potentially invoking bad luck by saying this, but I'm rather proud of all my scandinavian bretheren, you all seem mostly pleasant enough to rub along with :)

#32 Apocalypse4987

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

***** please :)
Half of the world thinks that Croats, Serbs, Slovenians, Bosnians, Czechs, Slovaks, Poles, Russians, Ukrainians and all other slavs are the same people

#33 ElAtaque

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationThe Ruhr, Germany

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

View Postjsa, on 22 July 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

[...]It just boils to language barrier where as most of finns have some sort of Swedish education in schools, I doubt that rest of Nordic countries have Finnish language as option even education path selections during grammar schools.[...]

Be honest, one can learn Finnish successfully? As a foreigner? I was told that this is literally impossible due to brutal grammar conditions :D So I started to learn Swedish. Oh and btw, football matches between Swedes and Norwegians looked like war to me.. don't want to see a ice hockey match then :D

Edited by ElAtaque, 28 July 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#34 Myssi

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:36 AM

View PostElAtaque, on 28 July 2012 - 12:21 AM, said:

Be honest, one can learn Finnish successfully? As a foreigner? I was told that this is literally impossible due to brutal grammar conditions B) So I started to learn Swedish. Oh and btw, football matches between Swedes and Norwegians looked like war to me.. don't want to see a ice hockey match then :D

I doubt one can learn the noble nonsense we speak perfectly, but learning it enough to be understood shouldn't be a problem.
I've seen a lot of Finns that can't handle the grammar, can't expect foreigners to do it :D
Compared to lots of other languages our words twist in a funky way.

#35 jsa

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:09 AM

It is possible, but pronunciation can be tad difficult. Also change vowel and consonants can be bit difficult, for example:
Tapaan sinut illalla vs Tapan sinut illalla. Change of one vowel and well meaning is totally different ;) (i'll meet you tonight vs I'll kill you tonight) or Hän tapaa minut illalla vs Hän tappaa minut illalla, same issue here now with consonant. (He'll meet me tonight vs He'll kill me tonight).
Of course there are couple of other nice things in Finnish language, which more or less are driving foreing people nuts while learning.

Also spoken Finnish can be somewhat hard to learn as we finns are notoriously talkative people, and we do engage in lengthy discussions about various issues like what is happening, what kind weather it is or whether bus is coming to bus stop or not. (Tä? Sataako? Nysse tuli? Oos ny?)...

:o

#36 Myssi

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

View Postjsa, on 31 July 2012 - 04:09 AM, said:

Nysse tuli?

Soo.. Tampere?

#37 PanzerSwe

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

Well at least we ha our own place on the forum and that always something

#38 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:23 AM

im english, living in norway and i have to say reading the comments its kinda pointless having a scandinavian forum because your all typing english lol ;), and in regard to the ikea comments i totally agree that ikea is like a curse that Sweden has inflicted n the world! when we were younger, if anybody had something ******, like a chair with a wobbly leg for example, the first thing you woud say is "you get that from ikea or what?"
but in all seriousness, as long they the polish have their own forums im happy! :) jeg kan javlar Norsk! :P

#39 Robottiimu2000

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

suomi finland *******! Yet another finn checking in.

oh come one! You conquer our lands and now you turn your backs on us! Make up your minds already :)

#40 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostKardos, on 14 June 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

I bet alot of people here in the states can't name all 50 states mate!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users