#1 MetalBacon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPlanet Dirt

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

I have an... older pc.

dual core,, 4 gigs of ram and a GeFroce gtx 760 OCII

I average about 30 fps, overclocking doesn't seem to do much aside from heating up my gpu to the point where I'm pretty sure I can cook breakfast on it.

So is this normal performance for my setup or am I missing something?

Any other game plays fine on max.

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

With a dual core, yes that is pretty much normal.

Your GPU is more then enough for MWO, but the game is very much dependend on CPU power.

#3 MetalBacon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPlanet Dirt

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

Well poo :c

#4 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

I have an oldish Intel dual core, 4 gigs of DDR2 and GTX 670. None of the graphical settings have any reasonable impact to game play and I also have AA and AF forced on in drivers. It's not about GFX card, this game is very CPU limited, I believe.

EDIT: I also average around 30fps, so looks normal.

Edited by arghmace, 02 January 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#5 MetalBacon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPlanet Dirt

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

View Postarghmace, on 02 January 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

I have an oldish Intel dual core, 4 gigs of DDR2 and GTX 670. None of the graphical settings have any reasonable impact to game play and I also have AA and AF forced on in drivers. It's not about GFX card, this game is very CPU limited, I believe.

EDIT: I also average around 30fps, so looks normal.

Yeah come to think of it, changing from maxed to minimum graphical settings yields about a 5 fps difference ~_~

#6 MetalBacon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPlanet Dirt

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

So If I stick a quadcore in there, there will be improvements?

#7 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

Yes, and if you manage to get it to 4.0 GHz or more you will be able to use the full potential of your GPU in MWO. Besides the quadcores, the game also loves high clock speeds on the CPUs. But even if you can't do that, with a quadcore you will see significant improvements in performance.

Do you have a specific one in mind? We have many competent hardware gurus on the boards who might be able to help you in your decision or in finding a better deal if you need to buy new hardware. The more information about your system (and possibly budget) you provide, the better the help you will recieve.

Edited by Egomane, 02 January 2014 - 09:06 AM.

#8 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

i play mwo on an I5 with integrated intel 400 graphics and i have the same fps as you...25-30 depending of map. so its the cpu not gpu that is the bottleneck.

#9 MetalBacon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPlanet Dirt

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostEgomane, on 02 January 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

Yes, and if you manage to get it to 4.0 GHz or more you will be able to use the full potential of your GPU in MWO. Besides the quadcores, the game also loves high clock speeds on the CPUs. But even if you can't do that, with a quadcore you will see significant improvements in performance.

Do you have a specific one in mind? We have many competent hardware gurus on the boards who might be able to help you in your decision or in finding a better deal if you need to buy new hardware. The more information about your system (and possibly budget) you provide, the better the help you will recieve.

I know my way around newegg and the like, thanks. Gotta figure out what my mobo can sit first. But that's a tale for another paycheck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users