4 replies to this topic

#1 Evan Flynn

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

I know a little bit about BattleTech lore, but there's something that I just can't find an answer to: the inclusion of the JagerMech and the Victor in the Lyran arsenal of Battlemechs. I know that the Steiners and Davions had an alliance for quite some time, so would it be plausible for the JagerMech and Victor - both Davion designs - to be found in the hands of a Lyran pilot? I'm just curious because I like for my 'Mechs to have some canonical consistency to them, and I'd prefer for my 'Mech Bay to make sense lore-wise.

Thanks for any answers you can give me!

Edited by Evan Sakowicz, 07 September 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#2 Eleck

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

Both of those models were produced during the Star League era, so you can guarantee a fair share of them would have found their way into Steiner hands even well before the marriage of Melissa Steiner and Hans Davion.

The Victor is a popular commander's mech, (Hans Davion's friend Arden Sortek piloted one almost exclusively, despite having at least one shot out from under him) so you can be sure that after the establishment of the FedCom, a fair few deals were made by Steiner's Ducal Generals to get their hands on some from the Davions, who were producing them at the time. Though, a regular complaint by Steiner forces during the reign of Hans and Victor were that they did not receive the war material that they wanted/needed/deserved from the Davions. In terms of lore, you might have to point out how much the thing cost you to wrench it from the grip of one of the FedRats. :)

As for the Jagermech, it's a pretty popular ballistics platform (even in canon) and you know the Steiners love their autocannons, almost as much as the Davions.

So, in short, sure, a Victor and a Jagermech within the Steiner lines wouldn't raise any eyebrows, except maybe by other Steiner commanders wondering why you aren't in your Steiner-issue Atlas. :D

Edited by Eleck, 08 September 2013 - 06:42 AM.

#3 Evan Flynn

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

Thanks a ton for the info! This has been bugging me to no end, and now I can sleep soundly knowing that I'm not all over the board with 'Mechs. I'm generally a light/medium 'Mech pilot, so picking a heavy and assault was pretty tough. I think that my next assault's gonna be the Stalker, because I'm pretty sure House Steiner had at least a few facilities rolling those out

#4 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

In addition to that, many mechs are hundreds of years old and have passed thru many hands. So it's entirely possible that you captured/salvaged a Victor during a battle with a Mark unit, that had "acquired" from a Liao unit that snagged it from it's original Davion owner. Who, by the way, got it from a Kuritan noble whose family had owned it since the time of the Star League (just mind the throttle, it sticks a bit. Oh and the 3rd jump jet wiring is a bit flaky at times. Oh and the.....you get the idea). :P

#5 Eleck

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 09 September 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

In addition to that, many mechs are hundreds of years old and have passed thru many hands. So it's entirely possible that you captured/salvaged a Victor during a battle with a Mark unit, that had "acquired" from a Liao unit that snagged it from it's original Davion owner. Who, by the way, got it from a Kuritan noble whose family had owned it since the time of the Star League (just mind the throttle, it sticks a bit. Oh and the 3rd jump jet wiring is a bit flaky at times. Oh and the.....you get the idea). :)

This is another good point. In fact, in the years after the clan invasion, it was common practice for high ranking officers, particularly in merc corporations, to pilot salvaged clan mechs as a sign of the skill of their company on the battlefield.

Nothing says badass like an IS pilot driving a scarred clan heavy/assault mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users