Newbie Loadouts

30 replies to this topic

#1 ShcElwolfman

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

I'm a newish player (about a month) who has so far loved every minute of this game (except when being destroyed :D), but so far the most intimidating, yet fun, thing for me is making a loudout for a mech. I looked around the new player forums a little and found that a Loadout sharing and criticism/reveiw thread didnt exist, so i made this so new players like myself can share loudouts that they made so that other can use/improve them (dont think this means that you veterans can't share to :))

So lets get this show on the road, ive just picked up the Cn9-Al and for the most part its fun, but im wondering if this build is any good.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fcacc736851f18a

To add detail i'm a typical brawler, playing with short range weapons.

Edited by ShcElwolfman, 08 September 2013 - 06:22 AM.

#2 IR_Quinn

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

It says your loadout cannot be found =[.

#3 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

This what you are looking for?

On these forums...
http://mwomercs.com/...tlemech-guides/

MechSpecs (linked to Smurfy)
http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/

#4 Sasha Volkova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 449 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostRyanUNDEAD, on 08 September 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

It says your loadout cannot be found =[.

its cuz he forgot to press save before he shared ;b

#5 ShcElwolfman

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

sorry im a bit of a newb at smurfy's mechlab

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9c792adbf0bf34a

View PostscJazz, on 08 September 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

This what you are looking for?

On these forums...
http://mwomercs.com/...tlemech-guides/

MechSpecs (linked to Smurfy)
http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/

i was hoping on making something specifically for newbs, rather then a general share thread, but alas being a newb myself ive botched the entire thing :)

#6 Gizmoh

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

This is my mech for comparison.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8ddf473eb664200

#7 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

We used to have such a thread but it appears that someone (NIKO SNOW) has archived it or moved it out of new players. I just went through all 13 pages looking for it.

Found it! Niko did archive it! BAD NIKO!

http://mwomercs.com/...for-first-mech/

The problem with threads like this one is invariably one of the Super Elite Master Competitive Players will show up call everything garbage and direct people to a FOTM Cataphract 3D or Stalker build costing about 15m CBills. While it might be true that such builds are in fact wonderful it is hardly helpful to the New Players who can't even keep themselves from firing LRMs at targets under 180m or over 1000m.

I'll be back with build advise for those Centurion ALs in a minute.

Edited by scJazz, 08 September 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#8 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

ShcElWolfman Build
OK so this build is trying to be a Brawler/Anti-Light build
It should look more like this...
CN9-AL Brawler/Anti-Light
Changes: No AMS (yeah I know), Artemis added, -1 ton ammo, BAP added, stuff moved around, armor moved around.
NOTES: Centurions doing 80 to 90kph don't really need AMS. They move fast enough and are agile enough to just plain dodge LRMs or find cover. Artemis added because of a bug/feature in Locking Missiles, the bonus to lock time effects Streaks even though it shouldn't. -1 ton ammo because you had enough for 75 salvos or 4 minutes 23 seconds of continuous fire. 50 salvos is plenty :) BAP added to deal with ECM and other stuff.

Gizmoh,
We have a name for Centurions with Standard 200 engines. We call them burning wreckage. :D Not really a huge fan of this design archetype at all. SRM2s should NEVER be used and SRM6s should almost always have Artemis. SRM4s can get away with not having Artemis so instead of SRM6 + SRM2 at a minimum it should be 2xSRM4. Added bonus now both of them have the same cool down. Without an AMS this Centurion is Lurmer bait because it is far too slow and clumsy to find cover or dodge LRMs. This design uses CASE but still has an empty Head slot. It also runs very hot. Finally, everyone knows to shoot the Right Arm off of Centurions so putting so much of your firepower there is maybe not so great. I don't really have a good setup for this Centurion Archetype.

CN9-AL 2LL
That is as close as I can get to better but I'm still not happy with it ^_^
NOTE: Pay special attention to the Left Arm Armor. Stupid Centurion trick... you can use the Left Arm as a shield but more importantly if it gets shot off you can start wracking up Defensive Kills and stuff. I also shaved off some armor from the head and Legs. It does work better if you didn't have the missiles in the Left Torso of course. I'm not actually recommending this build. Just giving you food for thought.

Edited by scJazz, 08 September 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#9 IR_Quinn

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

I'm currently focused on getting my elite skills for my Jenners but here are the builds I run on the 2 Jenners I own:

JR7-F
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0ed64c520b4abdc

JR7-D
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f54bde8a8511772

#10 Scav3ng3r

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

So my opinion on your build. I think you had way too many heatsinks, and not a big enough engine for your loadout. A lot of heatsinks are nice, but with a little self control, you can improve your mech loadout while sacking heatsinks.

Here is what I did with your build. I took out all your heatsinks, and I removed your engine, I put in a standard 275 with 1 heatsink, added ferro-fibrous, added BAP, removed 1 MLas and replaced it with a LL. BAP will allow you to target ECM mechs with your Streaks, and the 275 will give you some impressive speed.

That being said, my personal opinion on the AL, is it should look something more like this.

If you are going for fast anti-light Cent goodness, you might wanna try this. If you don't want something nearly so fast, you can always downgrade to a smaller engine, to add in something like an AC/2, but I wouldn't take this build below a top speed of 120 KPH w/ speed tweak.

#11 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostRyanUNDEAD, on 08 September 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

I'm currently focused on getting my elite skills for my Jenners but here are the builds I run on the 2 Jenners I own:

JR7-F
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0ed64c520b4abdc

JR7-D
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f54bde8a8511772

The D should use Streaks and put the Ammo in the Head. Never put ammo in the legs of a light mech. That is where we are aiming in order to slow you down so we can more deliberately shoot you. Move some armor from back to front. The rear torso hit locations are unimaginably small on a light mech. Increase Arm armor by shaving it from Head, again stunningly small! If you are happy with just the 2 JJ fine. You might try -1 HS for 2 more JJ. The JJ thing will come down to personal preference though. Although the number 1 rule of Light Mech piloting is never stand still. With that in mind if you are ever overheating and shutting down things are about to go very badly. Any design that uses Streaks should use Artemis as well. Honestly, I prefer Koniving's Small Pulse Laser design for the F.

#12 Scav3ng3r

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostscJazz, on 08 September 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

The D should use Streaks and put the Ammo in the Head.

Whats wrong with 2 SRM 4's? What if he doesn't want to chase after light mechs with his D?

#13 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostShcElwolfman, on 08 September 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

sorry im a bit of a newb at smurfy's mechlab

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9c792adbf0bf34a

i was hoping on making something specifically for newbs, rather then a general share thread, but alas being a newb myself ive botched the entire thing :D

The AL is an "okay" Mech for starters (being one of those "ultra competitive master pilots" myself - at least I used to be) and your original setup ain't really bad for someone who's newish as well.

For a bit more of a short range punch you could try this one: CN9-AL - Nr. 1
I personally would remove the AMS + ammunition and just add another DHS and some more armour, but thats personal preference and I tried to leave you your AMS. :)

If you're somewhat decent at maintaining your range and watching your heat you can also easily turn it into a decent sniper: CN9-AL - Nr. 2

Just find out what suits your needs!

#14 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostScav3ng3r, on 08 September 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

Whats wrong with 2 SRM 4's? What if he doesn't want to chase after light mechs with his D?

Ummm... 2 Missile Hardpoints... CT, available Crit Locations 2. 2 SRM4s would require an extra ton of weight for the launchers and change the ammo load from 25 salvos for 2xSSRM2s to 12 salvos for 2xSRM4, unless you add another ton of ammo to get it back to 25. Only place to get that tonnage is from the Engine, Armor, or Medium Lasers.

Since this is a Jenner... after scouting and capping... his job is to kill other lights including Garth in his Cicada :)

Seriously, he could just stick an ERPPC on his Jenner for the same weight. Call it a day and snipe but that really isn't his job.

#15 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostWaddeHaddeDudeda, on 08 September 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

The AL is an "okay" Mech for starters (being one of those "ultra competitive master pilots" myself - at least I used to be) and your original setup ain't really bad for someone who's newish as well.

For a bit more of a short range punch you could try this one: CN9-AL - Nr. 1

SET SARCASM = TRUE

Sorry Grandpa,
SRM6s suck if they are not Artemis. Welcome to the year 3050. SRM4s can get away with that. SRM2s should never be used really.

SET SARCASM = FALSE

And now a word from our Sponsors!

Read Grandpa's Guide!!!
http://mwomercs.com/...s-guide-to-mwo/

#16 Scav3ng3r

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostscJazz, on 08 September 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

Ummm... 2 Missile Hardpoints... CT, available Crit Locations 2. 2 SRM4s would require an extra ton of weight for the launchers and change the ammo load from 25 salvos for 2xSSRM2s to 12 salvos for 2xSRM4, unless you add another ton of ammo to get it back to 25. Only place to get that tonnage is from the Engine, Armor, or Medium Lasers.

Since this is a Jenner... after scouting and capping... his job is to kill other lights including Garth in his Cicada :)

Seriously, he could just stick an ERPPC on his Jenner for the same weight. Call it a day and snipe but that really isn't his job.

Hmm.... 2 Streaks + 1 Ton of ammo + BAP = 5.5 tons. 2 SRM 4's + 1 ton of ammo = 5 tons.

Srsly though, Jenners are great at other things besides scouting and capping, and 2 SRM 4's are great for harassing LRM boats and assault mechs like Atlai and Stalkers.

Edited by Scav3ng3r, 08 September 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#17 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostScav3ng3r, on 08 September 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

Hmm.... 2 Streaks + 1 Ton of ammo + BAP = 5.5 tons. 2 SRM 4's + 1 ton of ammo = 5 tons.
Srsly though, Jenners are great at other things besides scouting and capping, and 2 SRM 4's are great for harassing LRM boats and assault mechs like Atlai and Stalkers.

I never added BAP to the Jenners that Ryan Linked and while we are at it this post...

View PostScav3ng3r, on 08 September 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

So my opinion on your build.

Either refers to... my post, Wolfman's, or Gizmoh's... totally unclear as to whom you are directing the Centurion builds.

Then you add this piece of wonderful...

View PostScav3ng3r, on 08 September 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

If you are going for fast anti-light Cent goodness, you might wanna try this. If you don't want something nearly so fast, you can always downgrade to a smaller engine, to add in something like an AC/2, but I wouldn't take this build below a top speed of 120 KPH w/ speed tweak.

2 Medium Lasers, 2 Streaks, BAP, no Artemis although it has Streaks (OK so this right here is astonishingly not smart), Armor not full but using FF, XL390 engine costing 6.37m CB, and 50 salvos of SSRM2 ammo. Total cost... more than a fully blinged out Atlas, using an XL Engine which is mostly useless since it can only be used in a Dragon Slayer or Pretty Baby and perhaps a BattleMaster.

There are a lot of mechs under 50 tons that can fit 2 ML and 2 SSRM2s with Artemis, plus a BAP and still move faster than 120 kph without speed tweak using an engine that costs under 75% as much... we call them Jenners... they even get jump jets! Bonus!!! The XL300 is without doubt the most commonly used XL Engine period!

JR7-D Not a Centurion

View PostscJazz, on 08 September 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

The problem with threads like this one is invariably one of the Super Elite Master Competitive Players will show up

MMMM... Nuff said :)

#18 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostscJazz, on 08 September 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

SET SARCASM = TRUE

Sorry Grandpa,
SRM6s suck if they are not Artemis. Welcome to the year 3050. SRM4s can get away with that. SRM2s should never be used really.

Hehe. I totally agree that SRM 4s are still great, even without artemis.

But if you're running 80+ kph (AND sitting in a light or medium) SRM 6s without artemis shouldn't be much of an issue since you have the speed to easily get close to ~ 100 m and 90 % of those fights take place at this range or even shorter.

It's just not advised to make use of many SRM 6s without artemis in bigger, slower mechs.
Don't make me post a pic of my current stats. :)

#19 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostWaddeHaddeDudeda, on 08 September 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Hehe. I totally agree that SRM 4s are still great, even without artemis.

But if you're running 80+ kph (AND sitting in a light or medium) SRM 6s without artemis shouldn't be much of an issue since you have the speed to easily get close to ~ 100 m and 90 % of those fights take place at this range or even shorter.

It's just not advised to make use of many SRM 6s without artemis in bigger, slower mechs.
Don't make me post a pic of my current stats. :)

Dear Grandpa,
Please for the love of whatevah do not use SRM6 without Artemis! I know that you are most High Lord WTFPWN! But... obviously you didn't get the message. If I am face hugging you at <50m around about 30 milliseconds... it doesn't matter what button I push. This is in fact HSR in action. More pointedly, this is why PPCs just got smacked by the SteelBat. But tested cleanly, SRM6 without Artemis fails... and fails horribly... against Heavy targets. Nevermind anything smaller than a frickin Awesome!

I know... it would be so much better if it was a year ago. But still... l2p :) :)

Your Loving Son,
Jazz

#20 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

View PostscJazz, on 08 September 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

CN9-AL 2LL
That is as close as I can get to better but I'm still not happy with it :P
NOTE: Pay special attention to the Left Arm Armor. Stupid Centurion trick... you can use the Left Arm as a shield but more importantly if it gets shot off you can start wracking up Defensive Kills and stuff. I also shaved off some armor from the head and Legs. It does work better if you didn't have the missiles in the Left Torso of course. I'm not actually recommending this build. Just giving you food for thought.

My version drops the SRMs in favor of another LLas, for a total of 3xLLas. Harass enemy mechs in the first half of the match, don't overcommit. Then in the second half find all the weaker mechs and kill them off or at least take off parts. It runs hot so you have to cool off every once in a while.

It's a good "intermediate" mech, not so great for new players, since you have to already be disciplined about heat, positioning (or more accurately having an escape route in mind when you have to cool off), and about reading the target info so that you can find the weak points. LLas has fairly long beam duration, so it's a bit forgiving in terms of aiming, so I think it's a good intermediate training mech.

If you have a heavy buddy such as a DPS-oriented CTF or JM, this 3xLLas Centurion really comes alive. While your buddy is pounding away and stripping off armor, you help finish off critical parts with your 3xLLas. Fire them in chain, stay cooler, don't forget about the heat penalty.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users