Shooting Down Missiles...

147 replies to this topic

Poll: Shooting down Missiles... (440 member(s) have cast votes)

Should weapons other than AMS be able to shoot down missiles?

1. Yes, All Energy Weapons. (24 votes [5.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

2. Yes, Certain Energy Weapons. (14 votes [3.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.18%

3. Voted Yes, Any weapon (Ballistic or Energy). (209 votes [47.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.50%

4. No, AMS Only. (193 votes [43.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Ball Pit

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 13 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

Yes, because that's easy to do when your mech goes like 5mph.

#122 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:38 AM

I find it funny that players would rather shoot at missiles and waste ammo/needed cooling time on saving them from 1 missile salvo. If you see a Highlander IIC with 60Lrms, you hide, you don't try and reduce the impact of that to about 2 thirds of the volley. And as you move to cover you remind yourself to pivot your strong side torso towards that volley, while not pointing your backside to them and any likely cored area to them too.

And because PGI cares about the lore, they'll ignore this gundam-crap and then wait for LAMS in the timeline.

Edited by Zephonarch II, 14 March 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#123 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:09 AM

The Robotech/Macross equivalent would be Machine Guns vs LRMS.
Add a Machine Gun and AMS option and you got my vote.

Edited by NoiseCrypt, 14 March 2016 - 08:10 AM.

#124 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

iirc there was a lvl 3 rule in the pretw set that allows you to use MGs as anti-Missile system but it had a higher rate of missing as well.

So as long as it is MGs then sure go right ahead but should have a higher chance of missing missiles as it is aimed by the player and not the machine.

#125 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:39 PM

There is a small problem with that adding the hitboxes to missles would cause massive graphic lag on some slower computers especially Now that we have Thousands of missles flying around from the new archer. eventaully all comptures would slow down as the number of missles in the air increase making it Impossible to shoot them down with guns other than the AMS or LAMS

on another note LASER ANTI- MISSLE SYSTEMS!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.sarna.net...-Missile_System

View PostZephonarch II, on 14 March 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

I find it funny that players would rather shoot at missiles and waste ammo/needed cooling time on saving them from 1 missile salvo. If you see a Highlander IIC with 60Lrms, you hide, you don't try and reduce the impact of that to about 2 thirds of the volley. And as you move to cover you remind yourself to pivot your strong side torso towards that volley, while not pointing your backside to them and any likely cored area to them too.

And because PGI cares about the lore, they'll ignore this gundam-crap and then wait for LAMS in the timeline.

actually Clan wolf has LAMS already

http://www.sarna.net...-Missile_System

still you essentially trade ammo for heat.

Edited by KursedVixen, 22 March 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#126 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:24 PM

@KV
but remember we will most likely see players crying how the LAMS uses too much heat & blah, blah, blah.
or
the LAMS is too powerful as it shoots down more missiles & blah, blah, blah.

I just don't see how pgi can do this with out messing everything up by making the system ether too weak or too powerful, seeing as their track record isn't that good when it comes to balance.

#127 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:32 PM

I'd vote for Machine Guns and LBX. You know, LBX, those massive spread-shot flak-like cannons that are SUPPOSED to be anti-air weapons??

Realistically, I think this would be too much for PGI to code in, and it probably won't happen.

#128 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:10 AM

Not to mention all you would be doing is wasting ammo, after all someone only need to do is have their teammate loaded with fast Fire LRM 5s which would cause the player to waste ammo and then their teammates come in and finish off the enemy as they have no ammo left.

or while they are busy shooting down missiles the enemy would rush them and lay waste to the player.

Edited by VinJade, 23 April 2016 - 02:11 AM.

#129 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:38 AM

While this is a good idea and I'm sure this has been said adding hit boxes to missiles would severely increase graphic lag to an already un-optimized game.

#130 TwoTigers

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

If you can shoot down missiles, then I can use a laser mirror to reflect and or redirect your lasers.Posted Image

#131 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:06 PM

View PostxXButcherBlackXx, on 09 September 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

I think it's about time Missiles become vulnerable to at least some weapons other than the AMS. It would add more realism to the game and some much needed balance; given that the side with the most LRMs win the match 90% of the time as things stand. Now before you LRM boats complain...shooting down a stream of 50+ missiles with your normal weapons will make you more likely to overheat, may make you waste ammo, and might not even be possible given the trajectory of any incoming missiles; so in those respects this mechanic is not cheap and will not make missiles obsolete.

Please share your thoughts, likes/dislikes, and don't forget to vote :)

As interesting as that is, how about some counters to other weapons now? LRM's already have a bunch of counters, so branch out and try something else now.

#132 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:22 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 13 November 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

What do you suppose the diameter of a laser beam is? 1 micron, 2 microns? ...

Hmm, a LASER POINTER is about 1000 microns across.
Give me an ML with a 5 micron cross section and I'll show you how to slice and dice a light mech in 2 shots.

The energy density would reduce everything in its path to plasma pretty much instantly.
In reality that would include the beam collimator in your weapon too.

#133 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 401 posts
  • LocationComStar Cafeteria

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:35 AM

I think that there should be a very select few weapons that could do it. Maybe not destroying all missiles but some.
Otherwise Everyone would look up and just blast away making Lrms And or ATMs obsolete. Maybe a new weapon made
just for that. I dont know. Lrms get a bad wrap as it is already. But Too much change can damage the game and the playerbase.
Risky Move

#134 turdburglir

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBest Coast, USA

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:25 PM

necrooooooooooo Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#135 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:11 PM

I think it's about time Missiles become vulnerable to at least some weapons other than the AMS. It would add more realism to the game and some much needed balance; given that the side with the most LRMs win the match 90% of the time as things stand. Now before you LRM boats complain...shooting down a stream of 50+ missiles with your normal weapons will make you more likely to overheat, may make you waste ammo, and might not even be possible given the trajectory of any incoming missiles; so in those respects this mechanic is not cheap and will not make missiles obsolete.

Here's a thought.
Posted Image

#136 BAD BOB

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:54 PM

Thinking any lazer, covering a solid super hot line, aught to pop those missiles causing a chain of explosions.

#137 KGADigger

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:51 PM

Shooting down missiles with weapons other than AMS' sounds like a neat idea, however it doesn't seem like it'd be very practical. I think it could be implemented as kind of detail kind of thing, not something that's too practical, but you can do it.

View PostKoniving, on 23 December 2018 - 08:11 PM, said:

Here's a thought.
[snip]

I don't get it, this is all table top stuff. Are you saying that the code for AMS' should shoot down "1d6 of missiles per rack?" Or are you saying that players should be able to shoot at missiles (non AMS) for a randomly determined number of missiles destroyed?
I think the latter could work. It'd work around the whole "a whole ton of missile hitboxes" problem that other people pointed out, and actually, this is probably the most practical way to implement this mechanic. It (seems) easy to balance and probably wouldn't a huge investment of dev time. It does remove any element of skill (besides hitting moving clouds), but I think it'd be fine. I mean, I don't think it's very practical for most players to stop fighting and shoot missiles out of the sky one by one, that's what AMS' are for.

#138 Magnum Blazer

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:08 PM

I've been playing the mech with the 3X Clan AMS this week - 3 matches tonight I had the highest or second highest "score" due to the AMS and maybe it was the quality of the play, but was on 3 winning teams in row. Exhausted all my AMS, mostly in a missile protection role - 80% of the time the missiles were not "incoming" on me. I watch for missiles targeting my mates and move within range. Works expecially well if the team stays bunched together.

On my other mechs, I try to employ AMS if I can equip it. Won't be as effective the triple arrangement but if any of my teammates have it and we happen to be close enough to support each other, it does make a difference.

It would be cool if there was a "luck" or random factor to nail some missiles in flight with non-AMS weapons but aiming to hit missiles, I'm not in favor of that.

#139 BAD BOB

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:08 AM

Luck would not be so much of an aspect to a solid large laser beam.
Even if only large lasers could take down missiles and only within 400 meters, only taking down say up to seven missiles per LL, that ought to please everyone.
Gives us something we can do when better options to counter missiles are unavailable.
Gives the opposing team an advantage for our laser heat and cycle time cost not from damaging their mechs.

Concerning coding, the solid line from a large laser at medium range may be the less complicated option.
The longer the laser or lasers are in the "missile bubble" the more missiles pop.

#140 HardDrive

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:45 AM

As a missile boat pilot myself I feel this should be implemented into the game as stated it would give more realism to the game.
There is a laser AMS and a Projectile AMS so why cant the normal laser and projectile weapons be used.
I do see this being far less effective than either of the AMS systems, but it could still be valuable asset.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users