6 replies to this topic

#1 Red5angel

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn Colorado

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

Seriously, I can't find any instructions at all on how to use them. I figured out insert deploys them but then what? do they just sit there? Can I guide them? Please tell me they don't just pop out and sit there?

#2 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:54 AM

A deployed UAV hovers up in the air providing radar targets within a radius of 240m for you and your team. It lasts for 45 seconds, but you can level this up so that it lasts a minute using GXP. It cuts through ECM so is useful in some specific situations, such as getting targets for LRM boats.

#3 Red5angel

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn Colorado

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

ugh, I like the concept but its limited range and scope means it's just not worth it as a consumable.

#4 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

Don't deploy it right away. Wait until the enemy is engaged. Ideally, have it on a light and once your lrm boats are in range, run in among the enemy, deploy the UAV in their midst and get the heck out of there. A UAV will allow your lrm boats to target any enemy in range, so, it's ideal for taking out DDCs. Also, note that a UAV can be destroyed.

View PostRed5angel, on 10 September 2013 - 03:16 AM, said:

ugh, I like the concept but its limited range and scope means it's just not worth it as a consumable.

They work really well when you drop with a group, preferably on comms. In a 12 man, they can be very effective, for pugs, much less so because you never know if anyone has lrms.

#5 The Prince of Insufficient Light

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:25 AM

The UAV is pretty useful on a light mech. See that Atlas DDC nobody else does? Pop one on top of that. See that enemy group not visible to your LRM friends? Put one on in the middle of their hiding place. Got swarmed by a light pack with ECM? UAV up! If none of that happens, just keep it for the next match.

#6 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

With a little luck the spotting bonuses can even pat for the module (though that's rare).

#7 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:18 AM

The problem with a UAV is that it's stationary, unlike that pack of lights Prince mentions. That's why, ideally, you want to pop it off in the middle of the enemy brawlers when they're brawling. Once they've engaged, brawlers don't tend to move too much. It can also be useful to get lrms on those jump-sniping poptarts that are causing trouble.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users