Flood Lights On 'mechs

51 replies to this topic

Poll: Flood lights on 'Mechs (140 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support this suggestion? (Please read post before voting)

1. Yes (120 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. No (11 votes [7.86%])

Percentage of vote: 7.86%

3. Undecided (9 votes [6.43%])

Percentage of vote: 6.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

View Postwanderer, on 31 January 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Some 'Mechs canonically have lights along these lines, like the old Unseen Warhammer.

There's definitely times I'd cheerfully flip one on.

I seem to recall Hellbringers coming with these stock as well. I could swear that someone (Joanna?) gets it shot out in one of the books.

#42 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Voted NO for several reasons:

1. imho every mechanic which can be used to blind players would be really bad for the game - it would quickly become a new meta - also it would mean that a enemie becomes temporarly defenseless - with no real way to counter.

2. this mechanic could be abused by trolls - you know the same idiots who just shoot teammates at the start or bump into teammates multiple times on purpose, etc.

#43 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

View PostMilesTeg1982, on 06 July 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Voted NO for several reasons:

1. imho every mechanic which can be used to blind players would be really bad for the game - it would quickly become a new meta - also it would mean that a enemie becomes temporarly defenseless - with no real way to counter.

2. this mechanic could be abused by trolls - you know the same idiots who just shoot teammates at the start or bump into teammates multiple times on purpose, etc.

So don't make it bright enough to blind (unless you're in night vision mode)?

#44 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

View Poststjobe, on 06 July 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

So don't make it bright enough to blind (unless you're in night vision mode)?

you do know that on some maps like river city night people do use night vision as standard? Anyway it still could be absued by trolls - just like the lightshows now - even worse because they would have the stupid excuse that they did not damage you.

apart from that there is another good reason against this: game performance - how would this impact the fps? let me guess - badly - why? because such lighting effects would mean that a lot more calculations would have to be done by the GPU.

#45 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

I wouldn't be opposed... tactical high beams to blind those using the green screen.

#46 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

View PostMilesTeg1982, on 06 July 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

you do know that on some maps like river city night people do use night vision as standard?

Get hit by a flood light, hit 'n' to disengage night vision mode and hey presto - there's your target, nicely lit up and easy to see.

Anyway it still could be absued by trolls - just like the lightshows now - even worse because they would have the stupid excuse that they did not damage you.

So you report them, same as you do with any other abusers.

apart from that there is another good reason against this: game performance - how would this impact the fps? let me guess - badly - why? because such lighting effects would mean that a lot more calculations would have to be done by the GPU.

There's enough dynamic lighting already that a few flood lights wouldn't do much difference - it's just another light source.

Edited by stjobe, 06 July 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#47 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

They dont need to build up heat thats silly, they already give your position away. Just have it available to all mech, maybe bigger mechs have bigger lights or something. That's good enough.

#48 Armament

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 199 posts
  • LocationPiloting a Dire Wolf.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

Wouldn't people use it to blind others? I think Battlefield had something like that.

#49 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

This is one item which I have been trying to get PGI to implement, and have posted on this subject before. Although our variations of this item differ, the concept is the same, the desire to be able to see better on Night maps without using Night Vision.

In my proposal I suggested that a navigation light/flood light would be placed in the slot of a ballistic or energy based weapon, has a range of 50 meters, upgradable to 150 meter range, occupies 1 crit, and has no weight factor as far as a Mech's build in concerned. Feel free to look it up on this post, it has been buried by other posts.,

#50 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

View Poststjobe, on 06 July 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

Get hit by a flood light, hit 'n' to disengage night vision mode and hey presto - there's your target, nicely lit up and easy to see.

thats just nonsense:
- and in that half a second it takes to switch you take damage from the enemie - in the best case this just extends reaction time and in the worst case you get blown up (and yes you can get shot down in less then half a second)
- in normal view you would not see the other 3 mechs shooting at you
- the only alternative would be heatvision as standard view - great and only usuable on maps which are not hot - in the moment we get a hot night map players would be screwed

So you report them, same as you do with any other abusers.

please tell me you are not that naiv

There's enough dynamic lighting already that a few flood lights wouldn't do much difference - it's just another light source.

well people do complain about poor performance allready, please tell me how you want to to explain another drop of fps to them - even if its only 5 or 10% (my personal guess is it could be much more, depending on the way the floodlights where implemented)

#51 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

View PostMilesTeg1982, on 07 July 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

thats just nonsense:
- and in that half a second it takes to switch you take damage from the enemie - in the best case this just extends reaction time and in the worst case you get blown up (and yes you can get shot down in less then half a second)
- in normal view you would not see the other 3 mechs shooting at you
- the only alternative would be heatvision as standard view - great and only usuable on maps which are not hot - in the moment we get a hot night map players would be screwed

You know, it's quite possible to run on River City Night with standard vision; I do it sometimes just because the map is friggin beautifully lit. You should try it.

Either way, you're grasping. It would add a new dimension to fighting on night maps, and there's no reason to make it blindingly bright - even to night vision; that was just a suggestion.

Remember, you're the one that postulated it could be used to blind people, I'm the one that suggested to not make it that bright.

#52 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

How about flood assaults?

Hmm... undecided. Might look cool, but i wouldn't use it, thats for sure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users