27 replies to this topic

#21 TKG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe Sandhills of NC

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Last winter, we had a pretty signifigant snowstorm in february down here in North Carolina, so the morning of I decided to drive to work. I was driving about 35 in a 50mph area when My truck hit some black ice and decided it wanted to go into oncoming traffic. I grabbed the wheel and managed to force the truck out of the turn and had it going straight for a few seconds.Then I hit another patch 'cause the truck turned violently to the right headed into oncoming traffic on my side of the road. Out of the corner of one eye I saw a black object headed for my passenger side it was another car, and it was going far to fast to stop. I floored it and drove my own truck partway onto the curb barely avoiding being T-boned through the passenger side door and instead the other driver nailed the extreme rear of the truck. The end result I had a nasty dent he had a scraped bumper and I got stuck witht he fault by the traffic cops. The only thing that kept that from being a funeral, was that in the state I'm from NJ they offer an extensive inclement weather driving course. Apparently In NC, where I now live they dont care how much of a three car pile up you avoided or that you got rear ended, just that they write a ticket to someone.

Just a word to the wise, slow down, and remember, when it snows, especially in the south, have triple distance, and keep an eye on everyone around you.

#22 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

my favorite story of destruction is the one at the T just outside troy PA. a car full of teens decided to pass a family coming down off the hill there at a high rate of speed and apparently forgot that it was a T. they impacted the rock wall at around 80mph. the family that got passed had to stop their car full of kids in front of the wreckage and call the police. the rocks had to be removed from the wall and power washed because 2 of the teens came thru the window and spread their insides all over. there were 4 funerals. a public service. teachers had to hold therapy discussions with their classes. its not just your life you put at risk when you speed, nor is it your family that is impacted by an idiots death behind the wheel. its the entire community.

#23 dboy

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationLightning Capital USA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

View PostWraithTR1, on 14 June 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

Just saw this today.
http://forums.themus...-not-do-509733/

As far as lights being a minute or two out of my life that's not true at least around here. I once timed it going to work one day, and On a 20 minute drive to work 14 minutes of my drive was sitting at stoplights.

And who said trees don't make good passagers?! lol

Oh, and BTW, watch for cyclist.

#24 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

It's official. We know how to drive 100 tons of monster machines with ease at around 90 km/h and have bad luck driving a simple 2 ton vehicle 40 km/h. :D

#25 name51875

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 14 June 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

The rocks had to be removed from the wall and power washed because 2 of the teens came thru the window and spread their insides all over.

When you say "spread their insides all over" you mean their organs?

#26 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostCaballo, on 14 June 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

See this?

Posted Image

It was my 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. A week later i did this:

Posted Image

I was drunk, and entered a roundabout at 60 MpH. Luckily, it was 5:00 in the morning and nobody was around, because i went off the road and bashed two other cars, a lamp post and a signal. I had to pay 5000$ to the owners and the city hall, and the judge let me go with 1 year without license. Now i have an Opel Astra 1.6, i quit drinking, and i never go over any road signal. I got lucky, and had a second chance... Be smart, and don't go the way i went.

Sir, THANK YOU! So many other people in the same situation would not have shared their story. No stigma should ever be attached to anyone for growing up.

#27 Draelren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 191 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBeaverton, OR

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

I just say, drivers speed up. I'm behind you in those corners, getting pissed off.

RX-7 STATUS!

Posted Image

#28 st1x

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationChavbury, England

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostGrahad Mills, on 14 June 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

btw st1x the real ****** is u because u never thought about the option they could just over look u. You have to take responsibility for what happens in front of you!!

I was the only car on the entire road. I had right of way. They stopped for 15 seconds instead of pulling out which indicates they saw me, i saw no indicator which means they were either going straight over or turning and going the same way that i was and either way....waiting for me to go past....They had perfect field of vision, i could see the drivers head turning even at the distance i was at....Even if i had been doing the speed limit which is 50 miles per hour = 22.352 meters per second that would have given me what....1.4 seconds to react, brake and avoid ? Normal reaction times is between 0.75 to 1.5 seconds....at 50 mph that equates to 25.29m just to realise what they have done. The fist person on the scene was an off duty chief constable and the old lady driver admitted liability to him. Don't you DARE begin to tell me to take responsibility for something that is A/ out of my control and B/ not my responsibility in the first place.

You want to take responsibility for something that happens in front of you...how about not loosing control enough to leave tyre marks all over the road hmm? If you had any kind of driving sense then you would know that in a non abs equipped car it is better to pump the brake instead of slamming them on and losing control like you did.
Transit cuts you up....why leave tiremarks? why not just dip the brakes a little bit whilst keeping control or do you have that little spatial awareness that you didn't see him coming and didn't give yourself enough time to adjust your driving in-case?

Edited by st1x, 15 June 2012 - 11:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users