- - - - -

Completly Messed Up Matchmaking

7 replies to this topic

#1 Metalprophet

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:01 AM

Ist this normal that u only win 1-2 out of 20 matches? I think the matchmaking and teambalance of this game is completly wasted. All good players/Mechs seems to be on one team, thats ridiculous.

#2 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:10 AM

It's normal - in any game requiring skill and knowledge - that you don't start winning from the moment you first start playing.

But beyond that, there are some MWO-specific reasons why a new player won't start winning immediately:

1. You likely need to develop both in-game skill (eg. piloting, firing weapons systems, situational awereness, managing heat) as well as pre-game knowledge (eg. optimising Mech optimal loadouts, understanding how to avoid ghost heat, why you need Seismic Module) in order to be able to make a contribution to a team win.

2. You are probably playing in a trial Mech. To put it politely, trial Mechs are highly sub-optimal in terms of their combat abilities. You won't score anywhere near as well in one as you will in your own optimised Mech. Please, for the sake of your team, don't take a Trial Mech anywhere other than the Training Grounds.

3. MWO's MatchMaker uses player Elo scores to try to create even matches. However, when you first start playing MWO, it doesn't know how un/skilled you are, so you are ''ranked'' vs other players in a kind of middle ground. It takes the system a while to adjust your Elo down over time to - to put it impolitely - your actual level of non-competitiveness relative to experienced players.

4. The MatchMaker averages a team's Elos and tries to create a competing team with the same average Elo. All the while it is over-estimating your Elo, your team is in effect being penalised by being put up against teams with an effectively higher skill level.

5. Because there are only 12 highly weaponised players on each team, the loss of players on one team can have a significant snowball effect on that team's ability to win. So if, for example, you and another new player get killed early having done little damage, then there's a whole lot less firepower on your team, fighting an enemy which is much less weakened, and making it much less likely for your team to win.

I encourage you to keep at it. MWO is a fun game. Yes, it's more complicated than your usual FPSer, but that's part of what makes being good at it so rewarding.

When you're at your actual correct Elo rating, you will likely win as many games as you lose. That's the practical consequence of the MatchMaking system. When you start winning most of your games, it assumes you're a better player than it's giving you credit for, and starts putting up your Elo accordingly.

Edited by Appogee, 11 September 2013 - 04:35 AM.

#3 Metalprophet

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

Thats clear that u suck on a game first, but it's not normal, the game has such a bad matchmaking, that all 'bad' players are in one team and u loose over 80%. No fun at all I think... :D

#4 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

Dude... you were just in the same match I was moments before making this post. We won.

You killed yourself overheating in a Quickdraw 4G on Terra Therma where you were engaging (facehugging) a Jagermech down near the Central Lava Pool. I would have helped more but you cut off my line of sight. I am not a super excellent but your implication that I'm not a good player because I was on your team is a bit much.

#5 SGM Rock

Rookie

• The Unstoppable
  • The Unstoppable
  • 8 posts
  • LocationEnroute

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:43 AM

I'll feel your pain Metalprophet but as Appogee said the wins start coming as you gain experience. My win loss record is still abysmal (but improving :D) and sometimes it's a matter of working through the basics of a mech chassis before it really starts to work to it's full potential for you.

Watch carefully to see what other people in the match do after you are killed and what the other team is doing to win and start emulating those tactics. This game rewards team play and if your team runs off and dies alone, it can be very frustrating especially for newer players. The key is to figure out why it's happening and try to do your part to help make it better. Cover that assaults back or cap points if that's what the team needs, build a LRM boat and try support roles for a bit to see if that works for you.

There are going to be matches where you get put in against teams utilizing voice comms and yes their better communications will often lead to team wins so it might be useful to try and hook up with somebody to run a few matches with so you can see how they operate. Bottom line, hang in there, as you get better , you'll find you start carrying more of the load and your win/loss record starts to look a lot better, and most important it becomes more enjoyable :)

P.S. I'm not defending the matchmaker, I've been though what you're talking about many many times but I can't change that so I work on changing what I can.

#6 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

It is normal in MWO, because the matchmaking system can not cope with the relatively low number of players. You will often see one team of mostly veteran players, and the other with multiple novice pilots, including some in trial mechs. As you gain skill, you will also end up on the other side -- the "noob" to very good players where you don't really get to contribute while your team wins by a mile. It gets slightly better on weekends, and at night US time, and that is the end of good news.

#7 Metalprophet

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

I bought a mech and its much better now. :D
Altough it's a bit frustrating to play in a noob group against veterans in lots of matches.

#8 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostMetalprophet, on 11 September 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

I bought a mech and its much better now. :D
Altough it's a bit frustrating to play in a noob group against veterans in lots of matches.

Glad to hear it! Which mech did you get? We are pretty good at helping people set them up!

The Veterans also get frustrated. They are after all forced to be in teams with Newbs :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users