- - - - -

How To Combat Light Mechs?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Great Cracker

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

I don't know how to combat them, When they get close and start running around me, I just can't hit them.

How do laser weapons work? Do I need for the beams to sit on the enemy mech for the length of the beam or do they only need to skim?

Any recommendation on hitting light mechs with ballistics? I'd be spamming AC 5s and they just keep whizzing by the light mech. I'm pretty good at hitting moving mechs, but when a light mech is dancing around me I just can't seem to do it.

When a light mech gets close to me, I feel utterly helpless, especially in a Jager which despite being a heavy mech and very slow, it has weak armor.

#2 NecessaryWeevil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

Lasers do damage over the duration of the beam, so yes, you need to hold the beam on the target to do max damage. That's why pulse lasers (shorter beam duration) are better if you are driving or facing a mech which makes this problematic.

I don't drive big mechs, but some advice I've heard is 1) put your back to a wall; 2) stay near a partner so the one who isn't being circled can pick them off; 3) don't chase them; it's what they want.

Also, while cluttered terrain can allow the light mech to disappear behind cover and reappear, it also increases the chance they're going to run into terrain and stop momentarily, allowing you to nail them.

If you search the forums you'll probably find good advice on how best to use turns, reverse, etc.

#3 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

Fire at them (with preferably) direct fire weapons. AC5's, UAC5's and AC10's are excellent at this.   ERPPC's and AC20's also make lights cry, but are harder to use due to extreme heat(ERPPC) and aim(AC20).

Bare in mind PPC's (regulars) have been changed to now do 0 (zero) damage at 89meters and closer.

For lasers, AIM FOR THEIR LEGS!

Also, try to torso twist as much as possible. Always defensively twist when you find yourself surrounded.

Alternatively, use BAP in tangent with 4+ streak 2s.  They also make lights rather unhappy.  Be sure to upgrade with Artemis.  PGI has yet to give streaks and LRMs different lock-on mechanics, so streaks actually do benefit from Artemis without any extra tonnage or crits. (Its a bug, and it probably won't go away any time soon)

A streak Cat-A1, Kintaro-18 (I think that one has 5missile slots)  or any other mech really with 4+ missile hardpoints would do.

Edited by mwhighlander, 12 September 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#4 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

Easiest way to fight a light mech is to be piloting a light mech yourself. That way you'll be fast enough to keep up with them. Perhaps the best way is to have really good steady aim and a really low ping. Then you can do concentrated damage on them if they pass your crosshairs for a split second.

Try reversing and turning in the opposite direction they're circling you. That'll at worst force them to change direction, and at best it'll put 'em into your crosshairs pronto.

Staying near your teammates can be helpful, as they can help you shoot at them. Being stuck off alone with a pack of lights on you is not going to end well for you.

Lasers do their damage over the time of the beam duration, so if you drag it across a mech, you're spreading the damage over the path the laser takes.The only way to put all the damage in one location is to keep it on that initial point of contact more or less.

Can't tell you about ballistics, as I don't use them much.

Aim for their legs. Light mech pilots value that part of their mech's anatomy more than anything, as it's what keeps them going at ludicrous speed. If you're consistently scoring hits on their legs, they might leave you alone and go looking for easier prey.

Edited by Kaijin, 12 September 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#5 John Buford

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

Honestly the best thing is do not go out alone. As a Jenner Pilot its what we look for and I am starting to regularly kill Heavys and Mediums when they are singles. Lots of other good stuff here like for Jenners shoot for the CT is pretty big and Ravens go for those legs they are not hard to hit. If you are good at hitting a moving target try and hit them with an AC or somehting since it HURTS with all the damage applied to that one spot.

#6 NecessaryWeevil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

Of course, the flip side of laser beam duration is that, although you won't do max damage, you'll probably do some damage as you drag the laser over the highly-mobile target. Compare that to an AC-20 round which is an all-or-nothing proposition (and consider that you have to wait an eternity for the gun to load again).

#7 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 566 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

The best way to fight light mechs is to shun them. Do this by standing perfectly still with your back to them to demonstrate your utter rejection of their vile, disgusting existence. The shame of being despised social outcasts will cause them to commit suicide out of the extremity of their self-loathing and despair, thus removing them as a threat.
Your teammates will thank you.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
A Jenner Pilot.

#8 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

View PostGreat *******, on 12 September 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

I don't know how to combat them, When they get close and start running around me, I just can't hit them.

How do laser weapons work? Do I need for the beams to sit on the enemy mech for the length of the beam or do they only need to skim?

Any recommendation on hitting light mechs with ballistics? I'd be spamming AC 5s and they just keep whizzing by the light mech. I'm pretty good at hitting moving mechs, but when a light mech is dancing around me I just can't seem to do it.

When a light mech gets close to me, I feel utterly helpless, especially in a Jager which despite being a heavy mech and very slow, it has weak armor.

This also depend on your latency. HSR is sort of broken when it comes high speed light mechs when they are very close.
Basically the mechs are running further ahead where you are shooting at so, you have to lead even with lasers.

If you do not have enough armour to deal with them, you are screwed.

Else seek help and been near your other team mates.

Also like someone mention.. Aim for the legs.

Edited by ShinVector, 12 September 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#9 Tangelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:57 AM

Light mechs love to circle, but they really don't like getting hit. When I'm in an assault or heavy and a light mech engages me in the circle strafe I walk backwards. Yes I am slower but you can deny them your back while circling you with torso twists and turning while moving backwards. Ultimately it forces them to face your front (and your weapon fire) rather than your more vulnerable backside.

Hitting them is another matter no matter what weapons you are using, but most of the time the object isn't to kill them. If they take enough damage they will choose to run rather than stay and try to kill you.

Also, Aim for the legs. A cippled light is a dead light.

This is the only time I actually engage lights, otherwise I usually ignore them unless I have no choice.

#10 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

When you're firing on them, look at your crosshairs. If the center goes from yellow to red, it means you've hit. That will help you judge how far to lead them. Everthing else that has been mentioned I agree with. If you do back into a wall, make sure it's a really high one. Otherwise, I will jump on top of the wall and fire down at your back. Also, let your team know that you need help and where you are, and press R to target the light that's annoying you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users