#21 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

Having energies up in the main mounts alleviates them main challenge to Jager builds.

Get it naw

#22 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:07 AM

Yeah, this thing is nice. And, it only cost 4,000 cbills to get it upgraded the way I want. Everything else was just sitting around.

#23 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

I've been playing the FB for a while now. I've used a bunch of these different loadouts to great effect. Right now, I'm running with Gauss, AC-20, 3ML's, and AMS. It makes for a good sniper and has plenty of Boom when in close quarters battle. ;) This is my go-to mech when I need to grind some c-bills.

#24 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

This is what I came up with the Firebrand.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fd034823b3787e2

#25 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

It's the only one with energy hard points in the arms.
I run a 2PPC 2AC5: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...593b0a97b79bc97
and a 2ERLL 2UAC5: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9e44f098cdbb81e

#26 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Just had a game with 3 kills, 4 assists, and 666 damage. I completely forgot to take a screenshot, but I still had to share that.

#27 Saiyajin12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostPastor Priest, on 16 September 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

Just had a game with 3 kills, 4 assists, and 666 damage. I completely forgot to take a screenshot, but I still had to share that.

Nice! 666 dmg, devilish haha. Love the dmg numbers people pull sometimes, had a game where a 733 highlander landed 733 dmg, not sure he noticed :D

Btw, how does one take screenshot?

#28 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:11 AM

View PostSaiyajin12, on 16 September 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

Nice! 666 dmg, devilish haha. Love the dmg numbers people pull sometimes, had a game where a 733 highlander landed 733 dmg, not sure he noticed -_-

Btw, how does one take screenshot?

Made even better getting it with the name "Pastor Priest".

For screen shots, simply hit the Prin Screen button. After the game, go to your User file, and it should be stored there.

#29 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:23 AM

Yes, the firebrand is indeed worth it. Best hero mech, IMHO. I got to second with it in some tournament or other recently. Or was that my DD? Eh, either way, I enjoy the firebrand the most.

IMHO, It's best used as a support mech (though can easily brawl), mostly by virtue of the svelte awesomeness of its spectacular arms. They have tiny hit boxes, can carry a metric craptonne of weaponry, and allow you to unfailingly shoot what you see thanks to them being positioned lovingly snuggling your cockpit. Like high explosive mech ear warmers.

#30 Here5y

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:29 AM

I can just agree best Fire Support Mech in the game currentlly with a lot of possible combinations for effecient direct fire support.

I have it and I can recommend it. Im running it with a quite large engine 2 PPCs and 4 Medium Lasers.

Regards,

Plizzken

#31 sunmacet

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

Firebrand is great Hero mech. You can have lot of different good builds with it. Even silly ones if you like (e.g. 6 flamers). In my opinion Firebrand is one of the best Hero mechs if not the very best. Buy it if you want Hero mech.

#32 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

I've not been having so much success with it.

It seems to run out of slots before it runs out of tons, or before I can get enough heat sinks on it.

In battle it dies too quickly to anything that gets in close range.

My most effective build has two UAC5s and some MLs. But then, my Cataphracts are a better platform for that kind of loadout.

Firebrand just doesn't seem to do anything better than what I can already do with one of my other chassis.

Edited by Appogee, 18 September 2013 - 03:59 AM.

#33 capt hungry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 335 posts
  • LocationGallifrey

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

As new Firebrand owner - so far, I like it. This is my first hero mech and also my first mech to have PPCs. I don't get to play much, so the extra Cbill bonus is nice. I look forward to being able to try some the builds mentioned here once I've a few Cbills to play with. Nice to see most really dig piloting it.

#34 JRR1285

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

I have been doing well with 2 uAC 5, 2 LL, and 2 ML with an XL280

Most recent match that I feel is my best one yet. Posted Image

#35 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:50 PM

The Firebrand mixes both ballistics and energy hard points into his arms, hence you can use both to shoot from cover. If you want to use these two in conjunction (e.g. 2xU/AC + 2x LL builds) and not just use your lasers as back up then yes, the Firebrand is worth it.

#36 Jaded Mantis

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

View PostPastor Priest, on 16 September 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

I had a similar game last weekend as well. Went all gung-ho crazy towards the end to get 4 kills and ended with 666 damage. Funny thing is that 3 games later my Atlas scored 777.

I really like the Firebrand. It is my only hero mech. The key thing about it is the combination of Energy and Ballistic in the arms so look at any builds that use a combination of those as main weaponry. I also like to run with an XL300 engine for some decent speed. The JM is supposed to be a vulnerable mech with serious firepower. It is a kill or be killed mech. I build it like that and play it accordingly.
Mostly like engaging at medium range.

Edited by Jaded Mantis, 27 September 2013 - 01:50 AM.

#37 Shaftronics

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 65 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:30 AM

Just remember that when compared to other Jagermechs, the Firebrand can go up to as high as the XL 340 engine, allowing you to run at 91 km/h after speed tweak.

You can still carry 2 PPCs and 4 MLs while having nearly maxed armor as well.

#38 Cuddlytron

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRichland, WA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostShaftronics, on 27 September 2013 - 02:30 AM, said:

Just remember that when compared to other Jagermechs, the Firebrand can go up to as high as the XL 340 engine, allowing you to run at 91 km/h after speed tweak.

You can still carry 2 PPCs and 4 MLs while having nearly maxed armor as well.

^^^ This.

As a rule, I like to take advantage of the unique traits of each mech as much as possible, while still running a balanced build. This helps maintain variety in the mechbay, and gives a unique challenge to optimizing mechs. Sure, you COULD build all of your Jagers with dual AC20s. But that's just boring as all get-out.

In the case of Firebrand - compared to the other Jagers - you have 1) a much higher engine cap at 340, and 2) energy mounts in the arms. Because of this, I have found my favorite Firebrand builds are based on XL 340 engines with either 2 PPC or 2 LPL in the arms, 2 MG, and 4 ML in the torso.

Another great - although slower - Firebrand build is the "Rifleman" with 2 LL and 2 AC5 in the arms, and 2 ML in the torso.

I absolutely LOVE hustling my 2 PPC Firebrand around the map at 92 kph like a big bad Medium mech.

#39 DonBennos

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGermany Bayern

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

Believe it or not after watching some friends and in spectator mode... over all this seems to be the most badass configuration:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0de9e4f2bcdc3a7

no XL... deadly on ALL range combats... a focused stream of pure dmg, inc. a psychological "wtf pew pew laserlights" effect.

Its hard to kill, very quick (75,4kph) and you never run out of ammo. Still it has a firepower of 36 from 1-675 meters but it can hit up to 1350 meters and cause confusion. That deathray laserlight will make your foes think twice if they should charge you, knowing they will be hit several times until they are in weapon range... and even if they reach you... you are still solid like a rock.

You can operate behind hills by just sticking your head out and fire without losing protection for your legs... Like an oldschool awesome you hit what you can spot... but with 4 lasers instead of one (head laser from the AWS)

btw I NEVER saw a Firebrand lose its legs... no one aims for them normally, even if they are once not protected by any hill.

Depending on playstile there is a open end result for you caused dmg... 500, 700, 900 everything is possible.

Compared with a AC40 Setup... you have multiple that range, never run out of ammo, more spead, no danger of ammo explotion, no fragile side torso - but nearly the same alpha with less heat if used correctly.

To me its the ultimate fun-machine... while even looking good... you will get that "I´m a defense turret" feeling in that FB and feel like a BRO... before you come back to reality because you child is crying and your wife asks for money to go shopping... while you realize your pizza was done before an hour and it smells horrible from the kitchen...

PS: I also found joy in using this fun build with 6 MPLAS + maxed engine, stuffed with heatsinks, if you can manage to go around behind the enemy you can pick single mechs quick by melting their back... but lights will tear you to shreds when you get noticed, even that AMS helps some time against ssrms... http://<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=81&l=35a2e09b0249f3a59c8eea8241f0ace0d231ce53">FIREBRAND</a>

PPS: Overall, the Firebrand is a cool thing... its flexible, fun and it has its unique favours. Question is if you like the playstile it brings with, like with the x-5... its a question everybody has to deal with himself. If Heros would be about 30-40% cheaper I would get them all, but buying an 5000 MC Mech means for me... only bread and butter for a week... so... hmm... wait for the "sales" then...

Edited by DonBennos, 23 October 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#40 Mr Andersson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostCygnusX7, on 16 September 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

It's the only one with energy hard points in the arms.
I run a 2PPC 2AC5: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...593b0a97b79bc97

Fixed it for you.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f5bb35724027783

Edited by Mr Andersson, 23 October 2013 - 05:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users