We Urgently Need A More Intelligent Matchmaking System

27 replies to this topic

#21 xenoglyph

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

Another alternative MM: Everyone has individual rank, ideally we have enough players to roughly do rank vs rank matches.

Rank increased/decreased based on calculation of "team contribution". So if your team wins, and you get 1+ kills or above a certain damage threshold, you get credit for the win and rank is increased. If your team wins and you get 0 kills and low damage, your rank is unaffected.

If you lose, but you get 1+ kills or above a damage threshold, your rank is unaffected. If you lose but get 0 kills and below a certain damage threshold you get credit for the loss and rank is decreased.

Each weight class could have certain required benchmarks, and lights could get spotting bonuses or something, not necessarily basing it solely on damage.

Edited by xenoglyph, 13 September 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#22 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

View PostMechsniper, on 13 September 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Sc your lighter lance won largerly due to hit detection errors and the skew of balance leaving light mechs as assault killers.

If you think this is the reason why lighter teams win, you're wrong. Not long time ago we had a match running with two Cataphract 4Xs. We were down one player and our team was 220 tons lighter. Two kills shooting couple of guys rear armor without them noticing. Yeah the stats look nice, but c'mon, I don't wanna slaughter new players who want to play MW:O.

#23 WarZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

I think tonnage matching will go a LONG way in bringing some of these whacked matches back to a more fair state. More armor and weapons, even though slower, will in the end easily overwhelm a lighter team (minus complete idiocy).

I'm good. I have no problems matching a 40 ton mech against any mech in the game. But even being good can only carry you so far, and the extra armor and firepower of the bigger mechs can wear through even high level skill. One well placed alpha can bring you nearly to your knees in some mechs, if not drop you outright.

Bringing parity to the mechs being brought by each side to the battle would be a huge factor, and its one I am astonished has been left out this long.

Also of note, Ive been in way way too many games where the match maker would me (solo pugging) on a team with NO premades, and then match me against not 1, but 2 !!! top tier premades. Then find out there are NO premades on our side. I have played against DV8 and TSR combo's a number of times now. And I'm the only top ranker on our side. Thats is a very difficult challenge. Putting 8 top tier elo players, against 1 or 2 from the other team, then filling it in with newbies and lone wolf puggers = mind boggling. Load on top of that, no in game comms to level the playing field, and its just a royal F up.

It appears that there is NOT some kind of check in place that says... "hey this 4 man pre made has a super high elo...lets not put them on the same team as this other super high elo 4 man group". Instead the game just says "screw it, at least the match will go quick...".

I can even count the number of times MM has put me and another notable 4 man against a team that has no premades on it as well.

It goes both ways, but its something that simply should NOT happen. But it does all day long. Its frustrating as heck when you realize you were completely boned before the match even started, and even though you fought heroically (1000+ damage, 4-6 kills), the match was so heavily stacked in the other teams favor, you could have doubled your damage and still not been able to win it.

FIX THIS MESS.

#24 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

In the long run the present matchmaker is self correcting as, except for the masochists, new and "bad" players will just leave rather than loose continually. Thus only the better players will be left giving much closed matches.

#25 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostThe Boz, on 13 September 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

There's a problem.
Elo wasn't meant to work in multiplayer games. ESPECIALLY in 12v12 format. A player has a one twentyfourth the impact on the outcome of a game, but faces the full Elo shift, regardless of personal success in the match.
So... what do you base your matchmaker on?

You get a like both for knowing what Elo is for and what it is not for, and also because you know that it's Elo, not ELO.

#26 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

There are three major components to this issue.
1. Population. there isn't enough people to make even matches (many matches don't even have balanced weight classes).
2. groups vs pug. A premade group can break all Elo rules and the Matchmaker will force the other team to match Elo, so you have a bunch of high and low Elo players in the same match (on both sides).
3. 12 v 12. the more players in a match, the greater the Elo diversity. Which is part of the reason this issue has become more noticable since 12v12

#27 SuomiWarder

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

The Community Warefare we keep being promised will gum up the works. Is a matchmaker going to tell Unit X that it cannot fight Unit Y for possesson of something because their Elos are too different?

#28 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

I agree, as more new ppl (thank you) come in, currently is {Scrap} puging and 4 mans, It is the wild west of drops!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users