11 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:23 AM

Alright, since this is in the General Discussion section of the MWO forum, you know I'm not going to bore you with stuff like "what is art?" I'm posting this because I've seen hints of answers to questions that have been on this forum. Answers coming from our very own flyingdebris' DeviantArt page. For those of you who haven't checked it yet, follow the link. For those of you STILL too lazy to follow a link, I'll put a few pics up about what I'm talking about.

Melee Weapons
I've see a lot about melee weapons. And from reading some stuff about the TT game (picking up girders/trees/severed limbs) and smashing the sense out of your enemy sounds like fun. If it is implemented, then there should be a donation-only melee weapon for the Atlas, with no special modifiers, just something special. A steel pipe.
(Note: I have nothing against furries or bronies. This is fd's work, and he even explained himself in his interview. Don't flame me.)
Posted Image

Alright, melee weapons.

Quad 'Mechs
I've seen a little back and forth about this. I've never played TT, so Quad 'Mechs aren't really familiar to me. I'm sure it would be a pain for the guys to code it, but fd has a neat bit of concept art.
Posted Image

DropShips, aerospace fighters, and other spacey stuff
So, I personally would like to see stuff other than us MechWarriors smashing each other planetside. Yes, I'm a supporter of tanks, hovercraft, VTOLs and aerospace fighters. Even more so, I'd love to see a DropShip and its aerospace contingent fighting in... well, space. Apparently, fd feels the same, at least in his art.
Posted Image

I personally find this very cool. Again, would probably be a pain in the 'Mech behind to implement, but hey, maybe later?

Bonus Round: Orbital Defense
Was about to post, then I found another cool pic. Seriously, guys, check out his DA page. Anyway, if the previous thing gets implemented, then we should have orbital defense lasers like so. I think they were in MW4: Black Knight as well. Big buggers. And yes, that's an Awesome standing next to it for scale, if you haven't seen one.
Posted Image
There could be later PvE missions where you're part of a smaller drop team that has to go in and waste these guys so the rest of your force can come in. You know, sorta sticking with how they were used before.

Anyway, that's my pic spam for the night. This in no way confirms or denies any features for the game, but I just find it interesting how some of the things we're wanting/wondering about has been put into his art. Even if the first one has it's own story. I just want an Atlas with a steel pipe to beat in opponent's cockpits. All credits to flyingdebris for his incredible work, and if you missed it early on, you should really check out his DA page. I'm serious. Go do it now. Well, comment if you want, then go do it.

Edited by Alistair Steiner, 11 November 2011 - 01:24 AM.

#2 Jacob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:51 AM

Quad mechs would be infinitely awesome but i guess balancing them would be quite hard thanks to their low profile which is perfect for urban fights, also i would like to see vehicles but only as units controlled by commander having orbital view (with fog of war of course).

#3 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:08 AM

View PostJacob, on 11 November 2011 - 02:51 AM, said:

Quad mechs would be infinitely awesome but i guess balancing them would be quite hard thanks to their low profile which is perfect for urban fights, also i would like to see vehicles but only as units controlled by commander having orbital view (with fog of war of course).

I agree with the awesome-factor of the quads. I'd like to see them in, if only for spice (i.e. variety), but it seems that some would have neat advantages, such as being able to strafe. the big drawback to these designs is that (per the table top game) they don't have as much room for weapons and equipment, since they lack arms. Still, I'd use a quad!

#4 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:21 AM

quads get deadly serious when you start adding stuff like turrets on em.

Then they can strafe, AND have 360' aim

#5 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

View Posthayden, on 11 November 2011 - 03:08 AM, said:

I agree with the awesome-factor of the quads. I'd like to see them in, if only for spice (i.e. variety), but it seems that some would have neat advantages, such as being able to strafe. the big drawback to these designs is that (per the table top game) they don't have as much room for weapons and equipment, since they lack arms. Still, I'd use a quad!

They'd also take up a larger footprint in the streets, wouldn't they?

#6 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:33 AM

View PostCake Bandit, on 11 November 2011 - 03:28 AM, said:

They'd also take up a larger footprint in the streets, wouldn't they?

I can't really speak to that, Cake. I don't think they'd necessarily be any wider than a regular 'mech... Um... maybe longer? Not sure how much of a difference that would make, though.

#7 Spinoza

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:01 AM

ZOMG, I just had a vision...

There are industrial mechs, right?
Surely they got mech sized power tools?

To make a long story short, I demand a 20 foot crowbar!!!
How else am I going to open all these standard 40' shipping containers full of goodies?!

#8 Matthew Domenico Kvinch

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Midlands, England (UK)

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:45 AM

A large amount of this has already been discussed in various other topics, which I'll be more than happy to link once I forage them from under the mass of new topics.

The overall consensus though appears to be a case of they currently have no plans for Combined Arms. I.E. Pretty much the basis of this thread. Same goes for melee systems I believe from what I've read. (But hey, atleast the Devs revealed themselves that there won't be an Arms Race, you start in whatever Weight Class you like.)

View PostAlistair Steiner, on 11 November 2011 - 01:23 AM, said:

(Note: I have nothing against furries or bronies. This is fd's work, and he even explained himself in his interview. Don't flame me.)

Don't worry, I'll get the Flamer, I love the smell of Burnt Furs in the morning. /sarcasm
Also, while I don't stereotypically brand myself a "Furry", I pertain interests in the Furry Fandom. Just in case any of you were thinking of rebuking that.

And yeah, FlyingDebris is pretty Awesome. I want to take that quick mech silhouette sketch he did and turn it into a poster or something to hang on my bedroom wall, it certainly deserves that much recognition.

View PostSpinoza, on 11 November 2011 - 04:01 AM, said:

ZOMG, I just had a vision...

There are industrial mechs, right?
Surely they got mech sized power tools?

To make a long story short, I demand a 20 foot crowbar!!!
How else am I going to open all these standard 40' shipping containers full of goodies?!

Ah, Gordon Freeman.

Edited by Matthew Domenico Kvinch, 11 November 2011 - 04:48 AM.

#9 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:48 AM

View PostAlistair Steiner, on 11 November 2011 - 01:23 AM, said:

Melee Weapons
I've see a lot about melee weapons. And from reading some stuff about the TT game (picking up girders/trees/severed limbs) and smashing the sense out of your enemy sounds like fun. If it is implemented, then there should be a donation-only melee weapon for the Atlas, with no special modifiers, just something special. A steel pipe.

***** just having the pipe, I want that Atlas design as DLC so you can have new-age sunken-head Atlas and classic Atlas!

#10 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

That developer guy again sigh.Ok he has talents, we all give him that,we love him in deviantart as an artist and we dont find him as a hater but what he drawn caused more trouble than he ever noticed.He created a side job for lifeless haters they came to your profile post his pictures and say "u su.k"

I would prefer he wouldnt poke in that topic cause there are thousands of furries love battletech.Some people born with such interest to be like animals and honestly I had no idea Im one of them those furries till I was 20 *2009*.Im a mech pilot since 1999.I played many mech games but none of them was good as BattleTech saga.I was into Gundam abit but I realised some episodes like *trippy and Big in japan*
Souls coming back from dead and talking with Pilots O_O and dead friends' souls gives boast to your fushion reactor.LOL what was their canon typers was using "weed ?"

Sidenote, I dont approve 80% of furries.Our community is like massive NERD,hippie corner with art interest they dont care about what you are or your sexual choice I wish we were more selective.Every sexually weird person in galaxy joined to the community when they heard noone would show them hatred lol they are not into even art or our culture they are just hanging around making our name bad.

Maybe I should ask him to barrow that Atlas of his and refitted with basic "Gatling Gun 20mm" s instead of gauss rifle Im quite sure 20 rounds wont be enough to clean that mess.

#11 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

(blinks)

What?!?!?

Moving this to the Fan Art section anyways.

EDIT: Yes, I know FD isn't a "Fan" but it's still art so this is where I'm stickin it!

Edited by Mason Grimm, 13 February 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#12 Stormeris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:13 AM

I want quads so bad, dont see a lot of balancing problems, cause lots of quads well they have the ability to strafe, but unable to twist their torsos, and also their low profile would make them great support/ scout roles,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users