Variants

7 replies to this topic

#1 Freelancer604

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hi, im new to the game, and I was wondering whether different variants of a mech differ only in the default loadout and set hardpoints, or if the number of slots in its limbs also differ? I do not understand why the game does not allow you to view a mech's layout before actually buying it..

In my particular case, I am wondering whether the cataphract with jumpjets is able to fit a pair of Gauss like my Ilya.. not sure if its arms have enough slots to fit them.

#2 BL00D RAVEN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

yes, and this will help in the future
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

#3 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

The different variants do indeed have different numbers/types/locations of hardpoints, and it is also correct that only certain variants can mount jumpjets. As Blood Raven says above, Smurfy's online mechlab is invaluable for trying out different setups to see what's possible before you buy something.

To answer your particular question, yes, you can fit two gauss on a CTF-3D. A build for it would look something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...95b57880f494d88 That's just a quick mockup though, you can play around with it to suit your tastes.

Good hunting, and ask around if you have any other questions!

#4 Freelancer604

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

Thanks much guys. This smurfy site is pretty handy.

Oh.. one more thing, what does the top speed in green mean? EDIT:nevermind i figured it out. Wow.. the speed tweak adds THAT much speed? I guess owning 3 variants of a mech that you play a lot is a must.

By the way, can you buy 3 variants, max them, and sell 2 of them and still use the elite perks on the last one?

Edited by Freelancer604, 14 September 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#5 BL00D RAVEN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

yes you only need to own the mechs to spend xp on them then you can sell them

Also Teamspeak info if you need other game help or want to find groups

na1.mech-connect.net

Edited by BL00D RAVEN, 14 September 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#6 Freelancer604

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

Excellent. Thanks again

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:44 AM

Speed tweak is a full 10% speed boost, can be very helpful! Also once you finish the Elite tier for a mech you double all the basic efficiencies, granting you even more heat control as well as turn speed/turn angle.

#8 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:56 AM

Another site I find useful is Mechwarrior Wiki. I find it easier to see the quirks, and read up on the mechs, though Smurfy's is nice for building, and tends to update faster.

Things to watch out for:
- Some mech variants are very similar (EX: Jenner D and K, Quickdraw 4G and 4H), with often minor hardpoint differences (In the previous cases, 1 missile hard point and max JJ mounting points for the Quickdraw). For some mechs, you have no choice, but for others, I recommend finding variants with significant differences to try out.
- Some mechs have almost the same hardpoints, but different mount points. Arm vs Torso mounts make a huge difference. CT and Head mounts are more restrictive than arm/torso mounts. What's more useful will often be dependent on your playstyle.
- Some mechs have special quirks (Cent-D has a huge max engine size, Stalker 3F has a better torso twist than the others, Victor 9B has a smaller torso twist/arm movement). Smurfy and the Wiki both list these, the game does not.
- Some variants are just inferior (Stalker 4N is worse in some way than every other variant, due to hardpoints and/or twist)
- Beware module slot issues. Some variants are short module slots for some reason. It might depend how dependent you are on modules if this is an issue or not, as it rarely makes or breaks a chasis (Example, Stalkers, the Cent-D, and the Catapult K2 all have 1 module slot vs 2, the Atlast D-DC has an extra module slot).
- Some models come with more expensive tech, so they'll cost more (The Cent-D and it's XL300 for example). Useful for understanding the price.

Honestly, I'm often disappointed by the lack of differences, particularly with lighter mechs, but it really does depend on the model.

Hope that helps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users