Trial Mech Overhaul, Champion Mechs Only.

5 replies to this topic

#1 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

Trial mechs are awful. Everyone knows this. Being forced to use one is a serious handicap to yourself and your team.

The champion mechs are a great step up. Customized machines that are infinitely better than trial mechs but built for ease of use and reliability over min/maxing.

My suggestion would be to make a Champion to represent each Mech and have them all available to use. Ditch the current system of having a select few every couple of weeks.

This allows new players to actually try different mechs without having to wait weeks for it to show up in the queue, as well as giving them loadouts that work instead of overheating mech coffins.

I know the incentive is supposed to be "keep playing so you can buy your first mech!" but new players getting stomped into the ground match after match because they are in inferior machines and never stood a chance in the first place is not a good way to keep new players.

Giving them a wide range of mechs to pick from and a fighting chance is not going to lessen the importance of purchasing and customizing your own mech.

This could also help with the overall grind for the skill trees. If each mech has a champion to use players could grind the basic's out on that and then purchase 2 other variants, instead of being forced to buy 3.

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

Not a bad idea to start, but I would much rather a mech rental system be implemented with UI2.0 (if it isn't already). This way people could customize the parts all they want (except no upgrades possibly) and just pay a daily fee which can be upkept by playing a few-several matches a day.

When they decide to stop paying the rental, they get back all of their purchased items they put on the rental. Though I'm not sure how this will work for things like EndoSteel and other upgrades, I guess maybe rentals just don't allow upgrades, parts changeouts only?

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 16 September 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#3 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 16 September 2013 - 06:03 AM, said:

Not a bad idea to start, but I would much rather a mech rental system be implemented with UI2.0 (if it isn't already). This way people could customize the parts all they want (except no upgrades possibly) and just pay a daily fee which can be upkept by playing a few-several matches a day.

When they decide to stop paying the rental, they get back all of their purchased items they put on the rental. Though I'm not sure how this will work for things like EndoSteel and other upgrades, I guess maybe rentals just don't allow upgrades, parts changeouts only?

While that sounds wonderful for the players, I don't know if PGI would like that much.

My general thought process was that owning the mech needs to be the important part, the goal you want to get to as quickly as possible. The champion mechs just make it so you don't have to pull your hair out in the process.

The few champion mechs they have come out with so far have been great, I just think that they should always be available for use.

Edited by Roughneck45, 16 September 2013 - 06:13 AM.

#4 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 16 September 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:

While that sounds wonderful for the players, I don't know if PGI would like that much.

My general thought process was that owning the mech needs to be the important part, the goal you want to get to as quickly as possible. The champion mechs just make it so you don't have to pull your hair out in the process.

The few champion mechs they have come out with so far have been great, I just think that they should always be available for use.

Owning the mech would still be important versus renting, as that would be the only way to get the upgrades (Endo Steel, Ferro, Double Heat sinks, and Artemis). Of course Double Heat sinks being the most important one.

#5 Robertthedread

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

I have to admit I have been running around with trial mechs for the hell of it, but trial mechs are not going to get people to want to stay. They are so horrible to use that people who don't know any better will walk away.

#6 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

In order to retain New Players they need to have something remotely resembling a fighting chance. The Champion only concept would go a long way toward that goal.

In a related thought... notice how this Trial Mech set isn't actually godawful? 2 of the Chassis actually include DSHS!

I'm deeply curious to see what tomorrow bring in terms of Trials :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users