Why We Shouldn't Change Autocannons.

5 replies to this topic

#1 PenitentTangent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

Look, I'm not going to dip in whether or not autocannons are supposed to behave like cannons or chainguns. I'm just going to share my thoughts.

if we change autocannons to be fast firing quick action repeating cannons, I personally would no longer have any use for them.

Think about it.

a minimum of six tonnes devoted to an enlarged machinegun. with extra damage, but not crit-seeking ability (as of yet). I'd much rather go for something that is more pinpoint and reliable such as a PPC or LL. granted, you have to load up on heatsinks, but with less tonnage per weapon and no ammunition, I'd go with a LL over an AC/2 in most cases.

plus, not to mention autocannons will lose some of their fear factor. autocannons can be very terrifying to a player under pressure, and it will get worse when they add cockpit effects.

also, what would happen to UACs and RACs? we could go about how MW:LL does it and just greatly increase the ROF for these harder hitting weapons, but I don't know if that will appease everyone, plus it will make them greatly overpowered when they come out.

I know that some of you guys want to stick to canon, but for a live action First person simulator that's adapted off of a tabletop board game, It makes more sense to have them stay as they are, just for simplicity if nothing else.

that's just my two cents. Thanks for reading. feel free to argue your point, but stay calm about it.

Edited by PenitentTangent, 14 September 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#2 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

I like ACs where they are now. They work and they have utility. Any changes would unnecessarily unbalance them and require additional resources to re-balance.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#3 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

The problem right now is not with ACs themselves, but with the UAC/5, which can refire within the reload cycle without any additional heat penalty and barely any jam possibility (11%?)

Any ballistic weapon consists of a canon with a projectile pushed by an explosion. This causes a lot of heat, and the cannon becomes so hot that it usually glows red hot. The hotter it gets the more it has chances to jam.

The UAC/5 is not supposed to be just another AC/5 with double the firing rate. It's supposed to be an AC/5 that you can refire once in a while to get a quick burst in damage, but it should be at high cost if you keep doing it. In my opinion, I think the UAC/5 should have more and more chances to jam the longer you fire it until the barrel cools down. So in order to lower the jam risk, you'd have to fire only a few shots at double the rate of fire, and then pace yourself with normal reloads whil ethe barrel cools down a little, and then start again. Also, each shot should produce the same amount of heat (1) and the probably should be a heat penalty for shooting more than 1 at once (linked).

Edited by Tweaks, 14 September 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#4 audi man

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostTweaks, on 14 September 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

The problem right now is not with ACs themselves, but with the UAC/5, which can refire within the reload cycle without any additional heat penalty and barely any jam possibility (11%?)

Any ballistic weapon consists of a canon with a projectile pushed by an explosion. This causes a lot of heat, and the cannon becomes so hot that it usually glows red hot. The hotter it gets the more it has chances to jam.

The UAC/5 is not supposed to be just another AC/5 with double the firing rate. It's supposed to be an AC/5 that you can refire once in a while to get a quick burst in damage, but it should be at high cost if you keep doing it. In my opinion, I think the UAC/5 should have more and more chances to jam the longer you fire it until the barrel cools down. So in order to lower the jam risk, you'd have to fire only a few shots at double the rate of fire, and then pace yourself with normal reloads whil ethe barrel cools down a little, and then start again. Also, each shot should produce the same amount of heat (1) and the probably should be a heat penalty for shooting more than 1 at once (linked).

How about even more realism? I like where you are going here, but perhaps a simpler way to achieve the same kind of thing might be to make the chance of jamming a bit lower still, but basically say that once a weapon jams a certain number of times - thats it - weapon out of action for the rest of the match.

Reality is that if you keep overheating a weapon, the barrel suffers until its no longer usable.

Those players who are able to manage their weapon well, will see the rewards. Those who abuse it will end up with no weapon to use.

#5 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

i really like what everyone is saying here about fixing the Ultra AC5. :) I hope we get these changes implemented.

#6 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

View Postgldgti, on 16 September 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

How about even more realism? I like where you are going here, but perhaps a simpler way to achieve the same kind of thing might be to make the chance of jamming a bit lower still, but basically say that once a weapon jams a certain number of times - thats it - weapon out of action for the rest of the match.

Reality is that if you keep overheating a weapon, the barrel suffers until its no longer usable.

Those players who are able to manage their weapon well, will see the rewards. Those who abuse it will end up with no weapon to use.

Yes, that would work too. The point is, the UAC/5 is supposed to be fired in bursts and not a continuous stream like a machine-gun. The RAC/5 will take care of that (Rotary AC/5) but will only come in later if PGI ever implements it. This means there must be a mechanic in place to prevent abuse and force users to burst fire or else risk heavy penalty, or even permanent breakdown or jam. There's a reason the reload phase is called "cooldown"... in MWO anyway, it can be associated with the time it takes to reload and the time to for the weapon's barrel to cool down in order to prevent warps and jams, purposely. The UAC/5 is supposed to be a high risk/high reward weapon, but right now is all reward and barely any risk (11% jam probability regardless of barrel temperature, no extra heat for double-shots, etc...).

As for the whole AC class, I think one of the devs did mention that they have tested mouse and keyboard macros and found out it was way too easy to create one that allowed for the weapons to be cycled much faster than you could normally using chainfire mode, which they did not intend. So if anything is changed for the whole AC class (other than changes to UAC/5), it's probably going to be in that regard. I'm just speculating of course, but that would be a fair guess...

Edited by Tweaks, 16 September 2013 - 09:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users