- - - - -

Seeking A Good First Buy Mech

15 replies to this topic

#1 Bullet_Sponge

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hey guys, I'm brand spanking new to this game as of today. Actually managed to get two kills with the trial medium AND survived to the end of my first match! Anyway, I was looking in the store trying to get an idea of what I'm going to buy when I can afford it and I'm lost. I'd like something that operates long range, more of a sniper or arty role. I saw another post about it on the forums but honestly it was all greek to me. I have no idea what all these weapon names mean, and I'm kinda lost. I saw the most common suggestion was the hunchback 4sp, but I don't understand why, and the build made no sense as I don't know what all the parts mean or do. So, can you guys give me a little hand here? I'd like my first mech to be something with good mobility, enough armor to not be made of paper, and long range based weapons. I envision the gameplay as hanging a little behind the heavy and assault mechs helping tear down their targets, but not necessarily being right on the front line. So more of a support role. Thanks!

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hunchy 4SP is a good one (best IMO is standard engine, 4 medium lasers, 2 SRM6 with Artemis)

And since you'll probably want to Elite them you'll need to buy two other Hunchies, in which case you'll want the 4H (AC20 plus muliple medium lasers), and the 4P (8-9 medium lasers!)... just make sure you don't put XL engines on any of these.

BUT, all of these mechs are close range mechs only. If you want ranged fighting, you're going to want to go for a Cataphract or Catapult most likely, JagerMech also a possibility.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 16 September 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#3 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Welcome to the game and we hope you enjoy your stay.

As far as mechs go, I would suggest that you try the different trial mechs and get an idea of what you are comfortable with.

Mechs come in various classes and weights.

Lights - 20 to 35 tons, usually small and faster, but in some cases carrying less weapons than other classes.

Mediums - 40 to 55 tons - these mechs are relatively fast, and carry a good assortment of weapons, from short to long range.

Heavies - 60 to 75 tons - altho bigger, many of these are as fast as mediums and even some lights depending on your engine.
These typically carry a larger weapons load out and have more armour than the previous listed classes.

Assaults - 80 to 100 tons. These are the big boys of the battlefield. They carry large weapons loads but often at a cost of speed.

Weapons - AC2, AC5, UAC5, Gauss Rifles are all ballistics weapons having weight for the weapon and requiring unique ammo for each type of weapon. These are the 'longer range' weapons.
Ac10 and 20 and LBXAC10 are the other ballistics usually running a shorter range.
ALL Ballistics will do damage at twice their listed range and will do SOME damage out to 3x their listed range.

Energy weapons - ERLarge Lasers (er = extended range) Large Lasers, ERPPCs (er = extended range) and PPCs are the longest range of the Energy weapons. the require NO ammo, but do generate more heat than ballistics.
Small, Medium and ALL Pulse lasers are either medium or short range weapons (Large Pulse firing at 300m standard range).
ALL energy weapons generate heat
ALL Energy Weapons do damage up to 2x their listed range.
Standard PPCs do NO damage from 0 to 90m. ERPPCs do full damage in this range.

Missiles come in Short Range (SRMs) or Long Range (LRMs). SSRMs are called Streaks and are another type of short range missile.
LRMs DO NOT do any damage from 0 to 180m, but have only a 1000m range.
SRMs and SSRMs do damage from 0 to 270m,
SSRMs do require a lock to shoot. No others do at this time.

Once you have played 25 matches, you will have earned close to 8mil CBills (in game money) that you can use to purchase a mech. Once you purchase your OWN mech, you can then modify it by doing upgrades or changing weapons loads to suit your play style.

Have fun and Good luck!

#4 Tyzh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 495 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

A 4SP would run very similarly to the trial CN9-A© that you mentioned you have been using. It's not really great for the role you described wanting to have. You may want to consider Catapults. It's a pretty versatile chassis. The CPLT-C1 can be configured to function as long range fire support with LRMs and some smaller lasers as back-up weapons to fight off lights, or it can be configured with some SRMs and larger lasers to act as a brawling 'mech. The CPLT-K2 is very versatile as well and can do builds ranging from long range direct fire support (PPCs/Gauss) to midrange DPS builds (UAC5s/Large Lasers) to high alpha close range burst damage (AC20s.)

If you buy a Catapult and don't like how it plays, it's pretty easy to change it to play a different way with a build that is still quite effective. The only catch with the Catapult is that they generally use XL engines, which are expensive.

Edited by Tyzh, 16 September 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#5 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

I would recommend Cataphracts. The 3D variant is one of the best mechs in the game and the other variants give you a lot of weapon loadout options. The 3D comes with a pretty good engine so you would not have to invest a lot of extra money there. It also has jump jets which will give you a lot more mobility and help you get into firing position quickly.

#6 muskrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Salute Free Bullets
Use this to "build before you buy"
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

My first mech in MWO was the cat C1
but I also like Cataphrat 3D

to get them fully tricked out costs big. both good "versital" mechs

Bow
Muskrat

#7 Bullet_Sponge

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the great input so far. I read through the beginners guide pinned at the top of the forums. Definite kudos to that guy, it was extremely informative and helpful. The one thing I'm still having trouble with is heat. I noticed in the lab there is a bar, half red, and half yellow. How do I read that and what balance am I looking for?

#8 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

If you're doing well with the trial Medium, I'd recommend sticking with it. The Centurions are solid & survivable. They lack the firepower of the larger mechs and the speed of the Lights, but they can take quite a bit of killing and still keep moving. The stock version won't be as effective as that trial mech which is a Champion version, but you can build it up to that (or similar spec) learn what you like and then move on from there.

Also, familiarize yourself with http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/. It'll help you build mechs without spending a lot of money. Also, are you familiar with the cadet bonus? Basically you get a large bonus to your first 25 matches. This will help you buy your first mech. Once it's done though you'll be making a lot less per match (40-50,000 c-bills for a loss and 80-100,000 c-bills for a win, on average), so it's good to be cautious with your money. It's not as plentiful as it first appears.

#9 Rusty Shackleferd

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

Most people recommend a mech from the heavy class because it offers a lot more options in builds and survivability because of more armor. However, if you intend to stick with your heavier mechs for now and support their efforts, the medium line of mechs are a good option. The medium you have been piloting, CN9-A(c), and the recommended HBK-4SP have a similar playstyle with the SRMS dealing most of its damage. However, I would recommend trying something like the HBK-4H. With this mech, you can mount a AC20 into your right torso and pack some lasers for extra support. However, be aware that the HBK line of mechs have a hunch that people like to aim for. With the 1 ballistic hardpoint in the HBK-4H, you can also experiment with other long-range ballistic builds, such as the gauss, ac10, or UAC5.

#10 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostFree Bullets, on 16 September 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

Hey guys, thanks for the great input so far. I read through the beginners guide pinned at the top of the forums. Definite kudos to that guy, it was extremely informative and helpful. The one thing I'm still having trouble with is heat. I noticed in the lab there is a bar, half red, and half yellow. How do I read that and what balance am I looking for?

That is your heat efficiency. In the mechlab it is not very accurate. You already found smurfy's mechlab, so I would advise you to go for at least 40% efficiency there. The higher your efficiency the more often you can fire your weapons.

#11 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostFree Bullets, on 16 September 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Hey guys, I'm brand spanking new to this game as of today. Actually managed to get two kills with the trial medium AND survived to the end of my first match! Anyway, I was looking in the store trying to get an idea of what I'm going to buy when I can afford it and I'm lost. I'd like something that operates long range, more of a sniper or arty role.

I would recommend buying a Hunchback first. They are a good all-around mech, and can be adapted to a variety of roles. You can specialize them in Energy, Ballistics, or Missiles. And they are relatively cheap to buy.

I'd recommend buying one of those first then refining your playstyle before moving up to something more specialized. Few people stay with hunchbacks, but lots of people start with them. If the game had a single Trainer mech, this would be it.

I saw another post about it on the forums but honestly it was all greek to me. I have no idea what all these weapon names mean

There are three basic types:

Energy - All lasers and PPCs. Energy weapons tend to be high heat, but have unlimited ammo. I recommend these for beginners because they have the fewest variables to keep track of. All energy weapons are direct-fire, meaning you hit what you point at. Since there is no ammo, there is no chance of ammo explosions either.

Ballistics - These are conventional guns that fire projectiles of some kind. They consume ammo, and once you ammo is out, they do not work for the rest of that game. Ballistic weapons tend to have far less heat generation, and the highest damage weapons in the game are ballistic. They are all direct-fire, like energy.

Missiles - Long range missiles and streaks require a target lock, but once locked, they will always hit as long as the lock is maintained. Missiles are more art than science, and I do not recommend them for beginners. Missiles consume ammo like ballistics, but they are not direct fire and do not require line of sight...so long as you have a lock, they will always hit (though ground geometry or buildings can stop them before they reach your target), and your teammates can provide you with a lock. So missiles can be fired over obstructions...energy and ballistic weapons can't do that. EDIT - Short range missiles work basically like really sloppy ballistic weapons. They require no lock. Streak versions require a lock, and will always hit once locked, no matter what.

The weapons are standardized, and each weapon type has a name associated with it. They all have characteristics that make them different from other weapons. Some have longer range, some can fire more shots/ton of ammo, some do more damage, ect...

I'd like my first mech to be something with good mobility, enough armor to not be made of paper, and long range based weapons.

All of that can be done with a Hunchback.

What generally happens is that you pick a chasis that is suited to your playstyle, then customize it with options like double heat sinks or endo-steel or whatever. Every mech has several variants with different hardpoint configurations; since you cannot alter hardpoint types, it is therefore important to figure out your playstyle before you pick a chasis so you can get one with a hardpoint config that you like.

I envision the gameplay as hanging a little behind the heavy and assault mechs helping tear down their targets

That is a support role. Hunchbacks can do that just fine, either as long range missile boats, or (more often) short range brawling support with lasers or ballistics. You can also snipe with them just fine.

If you do not want to draw aggro though, you would probably be better with a long range solution. Maybe a Gauss or LRMs. I will warn you that LRMs have a steeper learning curve because of their limitations. If you want long range support with non-missiles, I would suggest looking into PPCs and Gauss or maybe some of the smaller caliber autocannons.

You might not be able to avoid being a target though. Lighter mechs get targeted because it is easier to take them out. Heavier mechs get targeted because they have larger silhouettes that are easier to hit (and are usually slower).

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 16 September 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#12 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostFree Bullets, on 16 September 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

This is something you just have to experience in-game, as it is complicated.

Every weapon generates heat. You have heat sinks that dissipate it. Over time you heat builds up if you generate more heat than your sinks can dissipate. If you go beyond a certain point, your mech will shut down until your heat dissipates to acceptable levels again. You can override this shutdown but take the risk of heat damage or even destroying your mech if you do.

Heat is a key part of Battletech gameplay...it governs how many weapons you can use and how often you can fire them.

The balance will depend on what weapons you choose. If you choose mostly ballistics, you will not generate a lot of heat. If you choose energy, you will generate more heat, and will have to mount more heat sinks to compensate for this. Heat generation is one of the ways various weapons are balanced against each other in the game.

All mechs come with at least 10 heat sinks at a bare minimum. You can augment your mech's heat dissipation by adding more, or buying upgrades to make existing ones more effective. At this point in the game, it is basically a given that you purchase double heat sinks as soon as possible. This upgrade will affect all your heat sinks, including the "free" ones embedded in your mech, so it is well worth the expensive cost to buy it.

#13 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

Actually managed to get two kills with the trial medium AND survived to the end of my first match!
Well done! In a trial Mech, you have either talent or luck :D

Anyway, I was looking in the store trying to get an idea of what I'm going to buy when I can afford it and I'm lost.

I once asked the same question. The answer I was given was ''Ilya Murmets if you're spending cash, or Cataphract 3-D if you're grinding CBills''.

And I believe the same is true today - except that the Ilya is current 30% until tomorrow, which makes it even better value.

As Heavies, Cataphracts have enough armour to stay alive, enough weapon tonnage to do serious damage, and - unlike Assaults - can also move fast enough to get you out of trouble on the battlefield. The 3-D has the added advantage of Jump Jets, which can be very useful on maps with hills.

Both these Cataphracts can mount sniper weapons better than most - two Gauss or two PPC or two AC10.

My advice is to spend the $18 and buy the ILya. You will get 30% more CBills every time you use it, and that will significantly accelerate your purchase of other variants, modules and other enhancements.

Even though I now have more than 20 Mechs, almost all of them Mastered, the Ilya and 3-D are still the Mechs I turn to in team play and when I want to improve my kill rate or CBills.

Edited by Appogee, 16 September 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#14 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

*New Guy Stuff*

Welcome to MWO Free Bullets.

Congrats on doing so well in your first matches. You have 25 cadet matches to play during which your ELO (rank) will be artificially lowered, during these games you will earn 8m CB in addition to normal earnings. You should spend time in the various Trial Mechs to get a feel for how they handle.

The Centurion you were using is a brawling mech with weapons among the shortest of ranges.

You will want to check out the Stalker with a much wider weapon selection.

Hunchbacks and Centurions are recommended for new players. The Hunchback slightly more so. They are cheap, provide some experience with all major weapon systems, and cheap.

Take some more time playing and please SPECTATE other players. See what they are using and doing. It will help you pick a good starter mech.

#15 Wascot

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

If I were you I'd buy cheap or go for an XL engine mech first. Buying cheap allows you to get the "necessary" upgrades without grief (dblhs, endo, other weapons) while buying XL gives you the engine for future use and it just so happens to come with a mech.

It seems you want to play a sniper role and as a pub player I recommend the CDA-3C (first mech I bought). Should cost you roughly 6m to fully upgrade and give it 1xERPPC and 4xMG. You have great ability to do damage at range while at the same time decent CQC as 4xMG absolutely shreds light mechs. The fast engine also allows some leeway to make mistakes in positioning as you can easily get out of dodge if necessary. You basically play the CDA as a light mech with none of the benefits of being a light mech.

The CDA-3C is generally considered to be one of the worst mechs out there. But if you want to get better and learn the intricacies of the game, do it with a subpar mech with the option to play the better variants (CDA-3M and CDA-2A).

#16 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...tion-guide-f8l/
check out this link, we have a short summery of the current mechs with pictures. hopfully there is just enough info so you can make your own informed decision.
but if your asking for my personal opinion, on a sniper. try a cataphract or a jager, they are not extremely hard to handle and with enough weight for you to experiment with different weapons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users