- - - - -

New Gamer ..first Impressions

43 replies to this topic

#1 AkiZeta

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

Hello fellow MechWarriors ..!

I was a big fun of mechs in the past and i used to play mechwarrior 4 series .. Some days ago i discovered a free compatible with modern pc's version of Mechwarrior 4 mercenaries ( i think the team that made it happen is Mektek ) and i was stunned .. I loved these series and the lore so much , i could play it again !!
After a while i wondered why we have n't a modern mechwarrior game and after a small research i found this one .. Ok my excitment grow bigger and without hesitation i downloaded .

After a lot game rounds ( above twenty i think , i have collected 9.200 something c - bills ) i found that this game is veeeery unforgiving in newcomers , in the classic games i have n't any problem to score kills e.t.c , here after so many playthroughs i made one single kill so far ( the only i can manage is some assists ) , i don't know if the trial mechs can't stand against the user's ones or i am lacking so much skill.. I always stuck behind other players and never go alone ..

I have a lot of money but i don't feel ready to invest right now as i am afraid i couldn't repair my mech if i am going to scrap it's round .
Also i wanted to ask why my button for join a faction is grayed ? How can i join a team ? ..and finally why the store button is grey out in my menu's up next to the faction button..?

I feel that i ll stick to this game cause hey it's a mechwarrior modern game .. I wanted though to be a dynamic campaign somehow , not to fight random matches but to be able to catch territories and to participate in a full scale war , that ll be awesome ..
That's my thoughts and thank you..

#2 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Welcome to the game! MWO is very unforgiving, the trial mechs you start out with other than the one designated as a Champion are typically much less powerful than the highly customized mechs you might be fighting. Your first 25 matches you earn extra income to help you buy your first mech quickly, but those matches can be very painful. It takes some time to get used to the game and how things work.

There are a lot of guides on the forums and video guides on youtube and such. I would highly recommend you check those out to find out more about how the game works and see how the best players approach building mechs and playing matches.

The buttons you are talking about in the game client are not functional at this time. You can change your faction on the website by clicking the Profile link then selecting Factions. The devs are about to release a new user interface that may have updates for those non-working buttons, we'll see when it comes out.

If you want to join a team you need to find someone to add to your friends list then you can go to the group tab to create a group and invite friends. There is a pinned thread in this subform with free voice chats you can join to find people to group with.

#3 Hellboy561

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, United Kingdom

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hey, First of all welcome, its good to see new players joining!

It sounds as you share the thoughts of the community upon joining, we are all waiting on the release of the fabled "Community Warfare" where we can all battle each other for planets for our respective factions,

If you are looking for a bit of help before making a Mech purchase then have a bit of a trawl through the forums and you will find hoards of useful informations.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

This website allows you to look at all the weapons and Mechs and even build custom loadouts and have a closer look at the stock loadouts before you buy them! I would reccomend making an account so you can save your customs loadouts so you can save for that perfect mech!

If you want to link up with other players you can use some unofficial teamspeak servers that are run by some lovely people, i don't have the link but i'm sure someone will put it up for you,

I hope you stick around!

#4 AkiZeta

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hey guys thank you very much .. yeah the game is a bit pain but i enjoyed all my playthroughs , the link with the builds got bookmarked already :D .. That will be very handy .. I think i ll go for a heavy or assault ( hope the armor will save my day ..) , i found the trial mediums very nice though ..
I use mic so voice chat should be awesome in this game as i can't write and piloting the same time :D .. This game needs a lot player coordination...

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

Trial mechs honestly are poorly outitted to survive MWO combat- Look for a Trial mech labelled "C" as they are custom mechs instead of merely stock mechs. The current champion trial mech is the Champion Centurion- Give it a whirl, it should offer you much more of an edge compared to the other three choices!

For your first 25 matches you earn a Cadet bonus- once you complete some/all of these, you'll have enough C-bills to buy a real mech of your own, and maybe even some upgrades. A mech with double heatsinks added makes a big difference to essentially every mech, and upgrading your mech's skill tree also provides benefits.

you can choose a faction using the website- note that faction has no actual game effect yet. The game client buttons for faction and store are only placeholders.

You can choose a faction with my link above, but all it does it give you a forum/in-game icon. If you really want to play with other players, I recommend downloading Teamspeak 3 and visiting one of the community-run TS3 servers where you will find plenty of people willing to join you for a 4 man team-up :D

#6 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostAkiZeta, on 16 September 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

After a lot game rounds ( above twenty i think , i have collected 9.200 something c - bills ) i found that this game is veeeery unforgiving in newcomers , in the classic games i have n't any problem to score kills e.t.c , here after so many playthroughs i made one single kill so far ( the only i can manage is some assists ) , i don't know if the trial mechs can't stand against the user's ones or i am lacking so much skill.. I always stuck behind other players and never go alone ..

This is as the original table top game was intended to be.

The mechwarrior games you have played before were watered-down arcadish versions. This game is closer to the original board game, which itself was complex. So there is a steep learning curve just as there was with the board game.

battletech has always been about teamwork. Just as you do not have lone wolves in the real life military, they do not do well in the battletech universe either.

Do not get too hung up on kills...on some maps, assists will actually yeild greater rewards than kills. because they are trying to encourage teamwork.

I have a lot of money but i don't feel ready to invest right now as i am afraid i couldn't repair my mech if i am going to scrap it's round .

Save your money if you are not sure what you want yet.

I feel that i ll stick to this game cause hey it's a mechwarrior modern game

Actually, it is the old version. MW4 was a watered down version of the real thing. MWO is more like the real thing. MWO is going back to Battletech roots.

.. I wanted though to be a dynamic campaign somehow , not to fight random matches but to be able to catch territories and to participate in a full scale war , that ll be awesome ..

That is call Community Warfare, and is coming in the near future.

Right now what we are playing is basically just Team Deathmatch. Community Warfare is what will turn this Team Deathmatch into an actual MMO.

#7 AkiZeta

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 16 September 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

That is call Community Warfare, and is coming in the near future.

Right now what we are playing is basically just Team Deathmatch. Community Warfare is what will turn this Team Deathmatch into an actual MMO.

I live to see that .. It will be the best game ever ! Already in this state is very good , i wanted to see some interaction with the enviroment , in the old series you could explode everything , trees , buildings why not here ?! It's a modern game ... :D

#8 AkiZeta

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 16 September 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

you can choose a faction using the website- note that faction has no actual game effect yet. The game client buttons for faction and store are only placeholders.

You can choose a faction with my link above, but all it does it give you a forum/in-game icon. If you really want to play with other players, I recommend downloading Teamspeak 3 and visiting one of the community-run TS3 servers where you will find plenty of people willing to join you for a 4 man team-up :D

Very handy thank you !! I already picked a faction :D hmm and that Lone Wolf wasn't bad ...

#9 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

Welcome to MechWarrior Online! Here's hoping we all get a nice long time to enjoy the game!

#10 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

yeah this game is not easy for newcomers. stick with it, you will get better, and upgrading your mech will help too :D

#11 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Welcome to MWO.

The biggest difference between Mw4 and MWO is the multiplayer aspect.

MW4 I am assuming you dropped in the campaign which was designed (iirc) to slowly ramp up the diffuclty of the AI as you progressed through the game. Their tactics wouldn't change much, just their accuracy.

In MwO you are dropping against real pilots right from the start. Whether in a trial mech or a custom mech, if you're only a few drops into playing MWO, your fighting against others who know the maps, understand the heat system, and (hopefully) have grasped the team based nature of the game.

Two bits of advice I can give....
1. Don't focus on getting kills, focus on supporting your team. Stay near your allies, don't chase squirrels (light mechs) or near dead mechs, and attack mechs your teammates are attacking. Great solo players may get a lot of kills, but if their team does not win its a hollow accomplishment.

2. Download team speak and do some drops with more experienced players. The link listed in my sign as well as other TS channels listed on the forums are great places to find other pilots to drop with. You'll learn a lot as well as meet some nice people. A great first experience for TS is the North American Comstar scramble drops on Tuesday nigh 8pm est. They're a lot of fun and less intimidating then just jump in into a TS channel looking for a group. Also, by particapating in the community it gives the game a little more dynamic nature then just dropping for battle over and over.

One last thought. Right now MWO is like soccer. Enjoyed for the experience of the match, not what could happen outside of it.

#12 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

Welcome! One other thing is that when you purchase a mech, you can then use your experience points to unlock better performance. It's from the pilot lab tab.

With the performance enhancements you'll be much more competitive in matches.

#13 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationother side of the ridge firing lrms at ya

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

Expect some critisim of your skills, lord knows I get them in any gunnery mech. but I am getting better.

I'm a fluke... I do better with missile boats than gun boats

But you will find your niche, and don't be afraid to talk! If I'm in a gunner mech, I'll make it clear I'm a sucky shot. Or if I am in a lrm boat, I'll let them know to give me target locks to rain down pain to.

If they know ya a newbie or learning, you get cut a lot of slack

#14 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

Welcome!! Looks like everyone else pretty well covered a lot of good info. Just don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. You will find that the New Players Help forum is full of people who will gladly give you advice and answer any questions you may have. Better yet you will get advice from many different play styles and perspectives, that way you can see the depth of the game and how many ways it can be played.

Till we meet on the battlefield,
Greywolf

#15 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

Well this is a great thread, welcome aboard new Mechwarrior! I'm glad to see so many people have been available to answer your questions, the MWO community really is great for that!

#16 PostalPatriot

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

Greetings Aki, I want to take a moment to extend you the offer that if you would like, feel free to add me, and we can Drop together sometime with Skype running or what ever if you feel like you need a more robust explanation of game play. Feel free to shot me a PM on forums or what ever as well. I'll extend that offer to all new blood.

On the subject of mechs...

I really REALLLY REALLLLY recommend that just about every new person i play with learns the ropes in a Centurion. I know its not the Biggest mech in the game, but its Fast, and can take a few hits. I just think it encourages people to play a little bit smarter. The popular load outs for them tend to be great as well, as they are forgiving on the heat while still requiring some managing. All so the weapon load outs on most give you a wide selection of weapon types, so your getting the feel for Missiles, ballistic and energy. You all so won't suffer from Light mech rage :huh: a trap most new players fall into by jumping into the big boys. Nothing is more frustrating then having a Jenner or spider slowly picking you apart.

I think my Cent, made me about 600 times better of a player. That being said try em all! It will take time to get the engine sizes and upgrades that really allow you to experience what a class has to offer. Unlocking speed tweak, really brings a whole lot more game to alot of mechs people normally by pass. Long story short Play what you want, but don't think those lights or Mediums are worthless or just for scouting. I've had more then 1 900 plus dmg game in a spider before :blush:

#17 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

So welcome to MWO and don't mind the miko character because I've learned over time that people that hide behind posting alts are just angry or too scared to step up and say it with their mains.

So again welcome. As others have said and you know the game is brutal. Don't take the game personal, joining a vent or TS server takes the game to the next level and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Real quick
There is no repair and rearm so all mechs are 100% each match
Don't worry about buying hero and champion mechs just yet.
Mc is best spent on mech bays.
Sell a chassis never its engine or weapon. An XL engine can cost more than some mechs. A 360 is 5.8 mill? Swap engines between mechs before buying an engine.
Tailor your mech to your style. And if something isn't working change it.
Accept that some mechs just aren't for you. I still can't pilot a Jenner but I've maxed out Spiders.

Factions mean nothing till Community Warfare is in and we fight over things that matter. For now have fun, and gt paid for making things dead.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 16 September 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#18 Karpundir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

Hey, Aki.

If you want to have a fun community-oriented experience, the ComStar NA TeamSpeak server will be doing fun community events tomorrow (Sept. 17th starting at 6:30pm Eastern) to welcome new players. We will also have some channels geared to giving tips on controlling your mech, building proper mechs and answer any questions related to the game.

The TS server address is: na1.mech-connect.net (no password required).

See you there!

#19 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

View PostAkiZeta, on 16 September 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

don't get frustrated. i played about 1400 games until today, and there are still some matches where i get r*ped very hard (because of beeing foolish or just having a bad day).
for example, i dropped into 10 games yesterday, tried 5 different mechs with different loadouts, and was realy f*cked in all of them. even with the current "cheese-build", the 3 UAC5 Ilya-Muromets, i couldn't deliver 100 damage before i died badly, because someone sneaked behind me (well, my fault) and shot me in the back.

but on the other hand, there are days where i'm performing realy good with almost all of my mechs. so when you have a bad day, and nothing works together, just quit the game for half an hour or something, and read some forums or something else. then try again, normaly it gets better at the next try :huh:

#20 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostAkiZeta, on 16 September 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

Hey guys thank you very much .. yeah the game is a bit pain but i enjoyed all my playthroughs , the link with the builds got bookmarked already :huh: .. That will be very handy .. I think i ll go for a heavy or assault ( hope the armor will save my day ..) , i found the trial mediums very nice though ..
I use mic so voice chat should be awesome in this game as i can't write and piloting the same time :blush: .. This game needs a lot player coordination...

One of my unit's members has mentioned this already but it bares repeating DL teamspeak3. There are a bunch of servers for TS one of the most popular is the NA server. The address is na1.mech-connect.net there is no password. If you do hop into the A.M.C. channel the Comstar Irregulars and QQ Rage Quit merc corps guys are a good bunch of people. We welcome new people and for the most part are patient with new players and quite willing to answer questions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users