#21 xRatas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 514 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

View PostSyrkres, on 17 September 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

I know - PLAY (not WIN mind you) 24 matches.... in what 14 days...

God whoever can't do that..... Might as well just give everyone the item and be done with it.

Why is this called a "challenge"? Definitely doesn't seem to fit any of the following definitions... - though maybe an explanation or calling into question "WHY DID WE LAUNCH?..."

chal·lenge
n.

a. A call to engage in a contest, fight, or competition: a challenge to a duel.

b. An act or statement of defiance; a call to confrontation: a challenge to the government's authority.

2. A demand for explanation or justification; a calling into question: a challenge to a theory.

3. A sentry's call to an unknown party for proper identification.

4. A test of one's abilities or resources in a demanding but stimulating undertaking: a career that offers a challenge.

Maybe they know the state of game, and expect it to be a challenge to actually play 24 games in 2 weeks. I'm afraid it is too much of a challenge for me to complete at least.

(And I'm sad to note I finally reached the point where I have more fun trolling around the forums than playing the game.)

#22 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:42 AM

Just a ploy to get the player numbers.
See looky here the player base has exploded.
Just another carrot.

#23 tuffy963

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

The other beta challenges were a bit better. Unfortunately, this challenge has several problems...
  • The reward is trivial - The cockpit items are only interesting if they have meaning for the recipients. This one seems particularly uninteresting compared to past items. Cockpit items are also clearly the least valuable virtual asset in the game at the moment. This further devalues the importance of the challenge.
  • The challenge lacks any compelling purpose congruent with stompy robot combat - I.E., Achieve MW related goals that enhance the meta feel or reinforce player experiences while in game.
  • Related to the last point - The challenge has no aspect of skill associated with it... so it is not actually challenging. i.e. "Just play a lot of games during the challenge/launch period"
  • Clearly a poorly thought out ploy to buoy participation numbers around the launch to move forward some undisclosed PGI business goal forward.
For my part, I will not be activitly participating in the challenge. Meaning it will not cause me to play anymore games that my usual number (4-5 an evening).

#24 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

This is the only reward that I'm ashamed to have after 3 days, so in mourning over this terribad idea and prize, I will not use it in any of my matches since it is the "Scarlet Letter" of MWO.

The really sad thing about this award is that it's literally a "participation badge", and like "perfect attendance" in school, I honestly would rather have skipped out on the last day.

Edited by Deathlike, 20 September 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#25 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

I logged on for the first time in around a month today just to try to get the medallion and the only thing this challenge accomplished for me is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. The games launched now and I swear to god it has more issues than it did when I stopped playing it a little while ago, Despite a nice steady 40 fps and 80 ping I keep seeing people teleport around, half my shots don't register, and for some reason it keeps taking like 5 minutes for me to even find a match, and when I do it's either all new players, or people who I recognize from the forum in their Ilyas.

It took me 2 hours just to play 7 matches, 1 hour total of that time was the sum of all my waiting for the matchmaker to drop me into a match. I know one would argue that for it to have taken so long the matches must have been long and fun, but they really weren't, it isn't fun when you have an average match time of 8 minutes where you somehow outdamage all the Atlases on your team in an Awesome only to realize you're the last one alive somehow vs a small army of ilyas, only to learn after the match ended that you were the only person on your team to even break 100 damage.

That fault lies in the players and not PGI themselves, but come on, really? 5-10 minutes to find a match? Did THAT many people really quit? Are the poor misguided new players all thats left?

NORMALLY I wouldn't even mind honestly, but with reduced c-bill earnings, the fun - time - earning ratio is just terrible.

Posted Image

Edited by haruko, 20 September 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#26 Tyranum

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

The whining in this forum is unbearable...If you hate it so much, please just go. And don't tell me you love it and that's why you're pissed or whatever. You are all just a bunch of self affirming trolls.
Please go and leave the forums for people who want to be constructive. What a cancer to the community this is....

*let the flames and hate begin...

Edited by Tyranum, 21 September 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#27 Rafiel mao

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

i got it, it r cools.

#28 Klaa

• PipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 70 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

I love reading conspiracy theories :)

#29 RedThirteen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 159 posts
  • LocationRockets

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

View Postharuko, on 20 September 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

somehow outdamage all the Atlases on your team

Managed that with frightening frequency on my Centurion.

View PostTyranum, on 21 September 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

The whining in this forum is unbearable...If you hate it so much, please just go.

The same would apply to those who waste a post on complaining about whiners. You've got to wonder how things have soured so spectacularly, and ignoring it in a blaze of White Knighting (you'd think the community could have come up with something better) is done so at one's own peril.

The ones who still troll will fade away into the woodwork eventually - the more vocal ones seem to have altogether vanished. The ones who remain pray for a web app with a grid of planets that in-game will all be represented by Terra Therma, which shall be controlled, captured, defended, invaded... I really can't see this ever happening, but still I remain, hoping for days of future digital glory.

Also, didn't someone tell you to never bait trolls?

#30 Cybertek

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

I didn't even know there was a "Competition" until I died and was watching another team make who had the medallion, and I looked at my inventory and also had it without even knowing I was working for it. Would be nice to know what it was for? Oh well I will still use it for my lower utilized mechs.

I don't know why people are complaining though, it's FREE!!! Besides just think it comemorates the launch of this game that all of us have waited for. At least we are playing a Mechwarrior game....

#31 harlequinz

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

lol

#32 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

This is actually a challenge, because I find my self not wanting to actually play.

#33 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:40 AM

Wasn't this answered?

Operation 24 was a one-time event where if you played 24 matches within a period of time you were awarded with a medallion for your cockpit that indicated that you did such.

The purpose of operation 24 was to test the achievement system that they were implementing.

#34 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

Yes it was answered... two months ago when this post was active. Way to Necro.

#35 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

View PostSyrkres, on 17 September 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

I know - PLAY (not WIN mind you) 24 matches.... in what 14 days...

God whoever can't do that..... Might as well just give everyone the item and be done with it.

Why is this called a "challenge"? Definitely doesn't seem to fit any of the following definitions... - though maybe an explanation or calling into question "WHY DID WE LAUNCH?..."

chal·lenge
n.

a. A call to engage in a contest, fight, or competition: a challenge to a duel.

b. An act or statement of defiance; a call to confrontation: a challenge to the government's authority.

2. A demand for explanation or justification; a calling into question: a challenge to a theory.

3. A sentry's call to an unknown party for proper identification.

4. A test of one's abilities or resources in a demanding but stimulating undertaking: a career that offers a challenge.

Lol...I only made it to 87% on this challenge. Took a break from MWO then because GTA V launched.

I DID play in the launch tourney but they didn't give out any items for that...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users