#22 Enigmos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostxColossusSx, on 16 September 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

Hi guys, i am a new to the game. After play a few matches (i lost them all D: ), i raised some questions:
Welcome!

1. What is the difference between GREEN laser and BLUE laser?
green lasers are 'medium' lasers that each does up to 5 damage and fires once every four seconds out to a range of 270 meters. Medium lasers are probably the most common weapon system in the game. Medium pulse lasers do up to six damage every 3.75 seconds but have a range of only 180meters. Blue lasers are large lasers with good range (540m I think?)and they do 9 points of damage, there are also heavier large pulse lasers with shorter range (300m), generate more heat, and do 10+ damage. There are also extended range large lasers that are effective at long range and generate more heat than simple large lasers.

3. What is a decent choice for a new player's first purchase? I want my own mech !
I recommend either the Cataphract or the Jaegermech. Hunchback (model P or SP) is a good solid choice as well. Centurions do well. Right now I recommend trying the trial mechs and see whether you like any of them (they should each be pretty good this week: the company changes which ones there are fairly often). Also be sure and go through the tutorials and get in some practice on the practice ranges to improve your abilities: it might help you win the next match!

#23 xColossusSx

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostscJazz, on 17 September 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

Today is Launch Day :)

Try more Trials first

Already played each of them! love DRG the most ! A57 looks cool, but its too slow.
JR7 is super fast, and i just keep running and shooting until i die ;)

#24 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

View PostxColossusSx, on 17 September 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

Already played each of them! love DRG the most ! A57 looks cool, but its too slow.
JR7 is super fast, and i just keep running and shooting until i die :)

Just to make some more clear to you, which should help you when buying a mech:

A "DRG" is a Dragon-model mech. A "AS7" is an Atlas. A "JR7" is a Jenner.

All the mechs have designations like that. However, after each of them, there's a dash followed by a combination of at least one letter or number.

Example. Take the Hunchback. The HBK-4G has a hunch made for ballistic weapons, the HBK-4J's hunch is made for missiles, the HBK-4P has a hunch made for laser weaponry, and the HBK-4SP doesn't even actually have the "hunch" its named after.

The differences between other models can be more subtle. Example: The trial Jenner, the JR7-F, doesn't have some missile slots, while other variants do. The Atlas-D-DC and the Atlas-D may look fairly similar, but they have a very important difference which makes the D-DC variant much more common than probably every other Atlas variant combined. The D-DC can mount an ECM (Electronic Counter-Measures Suite), which has proven very useful for it, and it has an additional missile-weapon mount. However, it lacks the two beam weapon mounts in the center torso. This means that the Atlas-D-DC is much more reliant on its ballistic and missile weapons than the Atlas-D, and some people may not find that that works out for them.

These seem like subtle differences, but they're important to look at when deciding what mech is best for you. Worth noting, if there is a "(C)" designation, it means that it earns 10% more EXP in a match - its a Champion mech. Mechs with a specific name, such as "Flame", "Pretty Baby", and "X-5" are Hero mechs - they earn 30% more C-Bills from each battle that they're piloted in. If you spot any JR7-D(S), its from a charity event. An (F) means they were a "founder", one of the initial supporters of the game.

My advice: Don't sweat too much over it, at least not for now. You'll get the hang of it after just one or two mechs - I figured it out half of everything you need to know to customize your mech after an hour of fiddling in the MechLab in Mechwarrior 4 when I was seven years old - you'll figure it out, and when you do, you'll be a more competitive player for it. Also, use Smurfy! Its a lifesaver. I'd post a link, but the forum and my browser don't get along very well. You see links all over the place for it though, and its probably the best off-site resource for the game.

#25 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

Out of all the new champion trials (YES!), Centurion is probably my favorite. Easy to do heavy damage, zombie till about 15% health, push / for missile door open and get a good number of kills each time! I'm still working on the Jenner and Dragon, need help on those and how to play properly with those. Atlas is awesome as a sniper, but you might not like the slowness.

Smurfy if not posted yet: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab (create account for the mechbay usage)

Edited by luxebo, 17 September 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#26 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostShockATC, on 16 September 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

that wont work very well in this game.
you can not be "only sniper" - that will kill you faster then you can look on the scoreboard.

You need a well balanced Loadout on your Mech: Weapons for longrange like LRMs, PPCs, Gauss, smaller ACs and you need weapons for the brawl (the close range fight [ < 300 m] ) like SRMs, bigger ACs, LBXs, Lasers etc.

Please do NOT listen to this guy. If you want a decent sniper load out a LOT are available. Highlander is an alright choice, as is the Victor and a Catapult K2. Gauss Rifle and PPC are the sniper weaons. Check out http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab and build yourself a sniper before buying it!

#27 jghs48

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostxColossusSx, on 16 September 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

Thanks guys for helping me out.
i prefer some long range support mech (i play snipers a lot in traditional fps), what are some decent and cost-efficient mech of this type?

:)

Catapult-K2

It's capable of holding dual Gauss Rfiles or double PPCs, depending on what you prefer.

#28 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostxColossusSx, on 17 September 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

JR7 is super fast, and i just keep running and shooting until i die ;)

You really like the great big Gauss Rifle on the Dragon and Atlas don't you? :)
One thing that is skewed in the Trials right now is that 2 of them have Gauss, 1 has LRMs and all are faster than normal.

You like the LRMs on the Atlas? If you do then the Catapult might be the right choice. The K2 is a Gun Platform. The C1 and C4 can pretend they are for long enough that you finish Basics.

Whatever you do while you might like the way the Dragon "feels" right now it is a terrible choice for a First Mech.

#29 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostxColossusSx, on 16 September 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

I thought the more expensive variants of the same type are better. Thanks for pointing out that i need to buy them all D:

I prefer long range support mech and be a nuisance by shooting those annoying missiles :<
what are some better choice for new players of this type?

The more expensive variants just have more expensive equipment defaultly loaded. Usually XL engines. You DON'T want to buy mechs simply because they cost more, you DO want to buy them because of their unique hardpoints and engine caps and jumpjet capabilities.

For long range support, The catapult is good. You can rain down LRMs with 3 of the variants and with the K2, you can use direct energy and ballistic fire weapons. The jagermech is also a good mech, with a good variety of hardpoints.

#30 xColossusSx

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for giving valuable suggestions :rolleyes:

I just bought my first mech, a cataphract with a large laser, two AC and a missile
it has everything i want, although it move so slowly! i am currently trying to figure out how does the customization and pilot lab work. there are just so many choices and i love it.
I started to enjoy the game with the new mech i bought, did over 300 dmg in several games! felt a lot better than being killed after dealing like 30 dmg.

#31 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostxColossusSx, on 18 September 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

Thanks for giving valuable suggestions :rolleyes:

I just bought my first mech, a cataphract with a large laser, two AC and a missile
it has everything i want, although it move so slowly! i am currently trying to figure out how does the customization and pilot lab work. there are just so many choices and i love it.
I started to enjoy the game with the new mech i bought, did over 300 dmg in several games! felt a lot better than being killed after dealing like 30 dmg.

Glad you're having an easier time of it!

You said that you traditionally play a sniper...depending on which Cataphract you got, you can also experiment with 1 or 2 gauss rifles.

They're a bit slow and cumbersome to use in a brawl, but for a direc-fire support mech/sniper, they can be fun! They're HEAVY though...so you'll be slow and fragile...but damaging. Glass cannon, so to speak :rolleyes:

#32 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

A quick overview of them.

Pilot Lab - This has two tabs Mech and Pilot.

Mech skills work as follows; as you do matches in a mech you gain xp (experience). This may be spent in the basic skills until you have mastered 8/8 basic skills. To start spending experience in the elite catagory you must have three seperate variants of the same mech type. So, as an example The Catapult-K2, A1 and C4. Once you have mastered 8/8 in all three basic you may spend experience in the elite skills. On completing three elite skills you may learn the master skills.

Mastering the elite skills doubles the effectiveness of your basic skills.

GXP is spent on learning to use modules. Modules may be purchased in the Mechlab. Most mechs can carry 1 or 2 of them. You will notice if you master a mech you get +1 module slot.

At anytime, can spend MC to convert XP to GXP. I think you can also convert the opposite way.

#33 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

Oh dear lord... he just bought the Cataphract 4x!

*DOUBLE FACEPALM*
*HEADDESK*

#34 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostscJazz, on 18 September 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Oh dear lord... he just bought the Cataphract 4x!

*DOUBLE FACEPALM*
*HEADDESK*

Could be worse - Now he has the others to look forward to... :rolleyes:

Not to mention that if he learns to pilot that one well..... well he is going to be a terrifying pilot to face :rolleyes:

#35 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 18 September 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

Could be worse - Now he has the others to look forward to... :lol:

Not to mention that if he learns to pilot that one well..... well he is going to be a terrifying pilot to face :rolleyes:

OK so what your saying is... if he learns how to play total slow bullet magnet suckage well when he gets something minus suckage he will be great? :rolleyes:

Lets just hope he is a sucker for punishment. :lol:

#36 Enigmos

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

Cataphract 4x is fine. I run one, most recently with an XL255. For my loadout since the last patch I carry an ac2 under an ac5 on one arm and an ac10 on the other. I carry 4 tons of ac2 ammo, four tons of ac5, and five tons of ac10 (with case). That gives me 300 rounds of ac2, 120 rounds of ac5, and 75 rounds of AC10 ammo, enough to last an entire match.

#37 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

Tibs... he is a New Player... First Mech... while I had lots of fun going full Dakka in a 4x it isn't as if it is the most newb friendly mech.

#38 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostscJazz, on 18 September 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

OK so what your saying is... if he learns how to play total slow bullet magnet suckage well when he gets something minus suckage he will be great? :)

I am saying that if he learns to do the thinking ahead that a mech like that requires....
Develops the patients that a mech like that requires....
The aim that a ballistic mech like that requires...

Are those not a fair part of what makes scary pilots scary?

View PostscJazz, on 18 September 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

Lets just hope he is a sucker for punishment. ^_^

#39 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

I'm aware your questions are answered. But I wanted to add my two cents here.

2. How do you deal with incoming missile attacks? i saw someone shot down missiles, but what kinds of weapon can do that? and what are general strategies against missiles strikes? (I just got killed without seeing the enemy:<

So here we go.

There are two weapons that can attack LRMs in the game's design. AMS and laser AMS. We do not yet have laser AMS available.

AMS stands for Anti-Missile System. Most mechs can carry one. Some mechs can carry two. AMS stacks with allies, too, to improve how rapidly you can shoot down missiles.

Some anti-missile tactics. Before AMS, it was very important to 'dodge' missiles, which at the time missiles were just as fast as they are now (then they got slowed down, then AMS came out, then recently they got sped up again).

Ways to dodge missiles.

• Make use of nearby structures or environmental obstacles such as buildings, bridges, rock formations, hills, overhangs, caverns, etc.
  • Make use of nearby larger teammates and enemies. As a medium class mech it is acceptable to use a larger teammate to soak up the damage for you if there is no other choice. Although it is even better to use an enemy mech as a shield against enemy LRMs.
  • Go under water. If you are small enough to sink beneath the ocean waves, LRMs deal significantly reduced damage (assuming they fixed the bug, otherwise they explode on the surface and deal NO damage).
  • Incoming LRMs? If you can see where it is coming from, STOP STARING!!!! Rapidly twist your body left or right, and CTRL-look up (with Armlock off, important,) to throw your arms up into the air to protect yourself by soaking the damage into your arms and protecting torso. Alternatively, if you have a turtle armor configuration (lots of back armor) you can turn away and look down to soak the damage into your back instead.
  • Out in the open and are a 45 to 60 ton mech with LRMs coming from HIGH in the air? Turn 45 degrees left or right. Power down immediately with P. Count to 1 Missipi and Power back up ASAP and TAKE OFF! Having powered down will break the lock from ~most~ LRM users. This turns the missiles dumb. Be warned within 07 to 1.3 seconds you will be relocked if the player has ANY idea what he's doing. Get behind the missiles before then. Remember to laugh at your enemy when successful!
  • In a fast mech (130 to 150 kph), turn perpendicular from missiles while they climb into the air, then turn sharply toward them. If it looks like you won't make it, spam the space bar (if you have jumpjets) as Jazz seems to think that'll make you impossible to hit.

<.<

#40 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

The typical way to deal with LRMs is to simply take cover from where they're coming from.

Specific to light mechs, you can actually mostly dodge LRMs out in the open with a combination of very fast speed, turning, and jump jets, but I wouldn't recommend new players to try it.

View PostKoniving, on 18 September 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

In a fast mech (130 to 150 kph), turn perpendicular from missiles while they climb into the air, then turn sharply toward them. If it looks like you won't make it, spam the space bar (if you have jumpjets) as Jazz seems to think that'll make you impossible to hit.

It used to work absolutely perfectly, but I find now you may still be hit by a couple.

Edited by Krivvan, 18 September 2013 - 03:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users