Small Fish....big Fish

2 replies to this topic

#1 Vespere Dax

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:56 AM

The launching of MWO is met with mixed emotions when considering where I began with the game and where it is now. I'll admit it's a terribly fun game but over emphasis on trying to fix game balance and the lack of new features has me worried.

Since I began we've got a slurry of new mechs, some new maps and a couple of contests. Guess that fine for launch for new players but without something new for the beta testers that have stuck it out it leave us a bit wanting.

Two things seriously lacking with this launch....immersion/hype and backend.

1) The complete lack of advertising and immersion material has me worried to. Usually a premium title will have numerous cinematics created. Maybe even some live action integration spot/trailer selling the game. I've seen nothing. Yes, this costs money but in the long run it also makes money. If you want to get people to play you have to get people excited. Hype on MWO has fallen flat. Even look at Hawken, perhaps MWO closest competitor...

Check this trailer out...

http://www.playhawke...#media/video/17

This is the kinda of videos I was hoping for MWO. Instead we have a minimalistic approach with some Hero mech selling spots with some After Effect filters selling for MC/Real Cash. Let's go bigger! You don't even have to use real actors (though green screen may be easier then mo-cap).

If you want MWO to take off you need to create this content. You want a million new players to try your game, it's not actually that hard. You need to spend a couple million on advertising. Hands down no excuses. If your not willing you're always going to swimming with the small fish.

2) Right now, as it stands, MWO is a great simulator. It's fun and it's cool to play in the mech lab. However, it's just a simulator that you play against other people. That's it. There's actually no point to it. You hand the player a new gun and a new robot and go out and do the same thing 100's of times. Also, MWO needed to launch more variety. 5 game modes would have sufficed. Yes 5. You have 2. I know the complexity of integrating a new game mode into a map but you'd be working with the same maps so it's not as difficult as creating new content. I know in some maps a certain game mode wouldn't be available due to logistics. No biggy.

Single player missions?

Call of Duty, MW, BF are also online FPS but those games also have an entire single player portion associated with it.

Check this out. Single player gameplay from BF4. Amazing.

If MWO even had a smidgen of this it would be catapult the game over the top to a premier game status. Even the upcoming Star Citizen will boast a entire single player campaign along with it's multi player portion. Community warfare had to launch with MWO. You should have had cut scenes (or even just a VO with a logo would do) to go along with each faction you joined (MW2). Even a few tutorial missions on how to play CW and use your mech. This is what I consider backend. I know, it doesn't make money but it's creates a world for the player to be immersed in. Some of the old mech warrior titles did this very well. Even MW1 with the planets you went to and the small tiny splash scenes with text. Amazing for its day. MWO needs a big does of this badly.

This is written in earnest to take MWO to the next level not to needlessly critisize or complain. To be honest, PGI needs to triple it's work force if this is to take off. Right now they are throwing 1 or 2 personel at agenda items instead of teams. A entire group of people should be solely working on CW and UI. Their graphic, animator and ui artists should be a ton of free lance contract.

I know this is probably outside the scope of what PGI forsees MWO but you guys gotta think bigger. If this is truly your baby. If you aren't thinking about the next title already. If you're willing to ask for IGP leverage to create a massive game. Then go big. And let's all go home and 'play'.

Edited by Vespere Dax, 17 September 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#2 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Star Citizen is gonna hurt as it is in the same Genre and I see a Big chunk of the People that play this game in recruitment threads on SC.

Edited by Green Mamba, 17 September 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#3 Quinid

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

They are too busy making new banners for the launcher. Gotta sell them mechs before we realize there will be no more content nor community warfare.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users