- - - - -

Help With Aiming

14 replies to this topic

#1 rob8861

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

Hi,

I recently discovered this game and I love it.
However, not gonna lie, it is hard to control the mech and I find it even harder to master aiming, especially during movement.
I was wondering if someone can give me some tips. every time I try to aim at a target (usually a moving target) I feel like I can never get the cross hair on the target. it is all over the place :)
I am using a keyboard and a mouse and even tried to change the sensitivity but that didn't work.

Also, is there a way I can train on moving targets that are not real players who will woope me in two seconds? looks like the training grounds are with static targets only.

any help/tip is appreciated.

Thanks,

#2 IR_Quinn

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

I don't think there is any way to test against bots, you can jump into a training ground type map but as far as I'm aware it's only you in the game. Generally the smaller mechs are harder to hit, especially when a light mech gets close if your in a heavy/assault.

You use Z, to zoom in if your firing at range this will help with accuracy. I've not been playing too long but what I found helped me get in to the swing of things was; sitting behind the front line with a ranged mech and taking shots at the mechs fighting my friendlies.

The best way of getting used to the aiming/control system is practicing with them. Eventually you'll start to notice improvements, it gets even better when you start to learn the maps too.

On a little side note I'd suggest a few settings off in the options; throttle decay/start in third person/arm lock. I found it much easier without these settings on [especially the arm lock].

#3 Royalewithcheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'd try these:
  • If you haven't already, hit F4 to turn off third-person view and/or disable it in your options. The game controls much better in first person.
  • Hit F9 to check your FPS. You want at least 30 - worth turning down settings to get it.
  • Experiment with turning off arm lock - long-term you'll probably want to have this off most of the time, and arm weapon aiming is much easier with it off.

#4 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

Under Options turn your Mouse Sensitivity down to 0.1 to 0.3. Try it like that.

#5 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

I'm guessing you're using 3rd person view. It sucks in all ways, even peeking over corners. Try 1st person view by pushing f4 and then seeing how you do. I think most other things have been covered in the above answer though.

Edit: got beaten by the others. I guess disregard this post. :)

Edited by luxebo, 17 September 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#6 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

As far as training, I'd suggest you move at max speed when on the testing grounds and work on trying to hit the same target in the same spot. Keep practicing between matches, especially with new mechs.

Beyond that, practice makes perfect. Keep trying.

#7 Ice Viper

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

There is another in game way to help you out. Outfit your mech with a Tag and equip it to say a spacebar or something. As you move about the battlefield you can use the Tag as a improvised laser pointer and when your target reticle turns red over the target, press the trigger. It has its limits but you also can get a few C-Bills from the Tag bonus. It works well on my jagermech w/ LBX-10's. Like a CQB shotgun and a laser sight all in one.
good hunting

#8 Kitane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:11 AM

View PostTesunie, on 17 September 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

As far as training, I'd suggest you move at max speed when on the testing grounds and work on trying to hit the same target in the same spot. Keep practicing between matches, especially with new mechs.

This, thousand times this. I still often drop in Testing Grounds to practice my aiming.

Try taking out selected components without damaging the rest of the mech. Of course while moving at various angles, not just straight at the enemy. Add some quick turning or jumping with JJs and try to practice quick aiming for snapshots.

#9 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:10 AM

View PostTesunie, on 17 September 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

THIS...carve it in stone, if you need to. Avail yourself early and often of the Training Grounds. I'm serious, spend hours there. This has a number of benefits. You learn to steer your mech while not under fire from enemies. You get to learn the terrain of the maps, find their quirks, paths, sniping nests, hidey holes, you-name-it. You can practice your pivot turns (that is, learning how to decelerate when making a tight turn in order to shorten your turning radius. This can be a lifesaver!) And of course, learning how to aim while moving at high speed, torso twisting, etc.

I've been playing a little over a month, and I easily spent as much time in the training grounds during my first couple of weeks as I did in actual matches. I can't begin to tell you the long-term benefit this produced. You develop muscle memory, learn the timing of your mech's acceleration, weapon cooldowns, turn speeds, etc. I still go to the TG's regularly to hone my skills, test new builds, and so forth. This is the single most important tip anyone can give a new mech pilot: use the Training Grounds.

Enjoy, and welcome to the game!

#10 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:19 AM

Perhaps try first aiming with heavier mechs to figure out how to compensate your leg movement with your arm movement in order to keep the crosshair on the target. Then you can upgrade to separating the arm reticule from the torso reticule and learning how to aim with one or both. Then perhaps you can learn about the nauseating wonder of aiming in a light mech:

(Yeah I know the video's old, haven't bothered recording in a while)

Edited by Krivvan, 18 September 2013 - 04:26 AM.

#11 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

It takes some time, but once you get the hang of it, it's a blast!

#12 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

1 thing to keep in mind, which I just learned. It makes sense, but saw it in writing... the damage level of hitting something with a laser is spread over it's whole "shot".
Sweeping a laser across a mech will do minimal damage. Make sure you keep it on them awhile... or at least a slow sweep. Otherwise you are waving with a light stick "I'M HERE, OVER HERE, LOOK!!!"

#13 GMAK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMontréal

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

You can't pratice with offline bots but many other games offer you that. And I beleive that if you aim well in other first person shooter games you will be good in MWO.

In my book if your new to first person shooter, I think it could take you more than 100 hours to get good. And I guess that some people will never be good. They are not made for this kind of game.

I'm always on the target, even if I move and he move. And this at any range, I shoot the center only if I am near. But I have like 2000 hours of gaming in this kind of game. Plus I'm naturally a good aimer.

It really depend on your natural skill and your experience. And there is a technique to aim well. I'm not going to explain this here.

Ho and last thing, you need a good frame rate. Most of the times you need an other program to see that. Like Banditcam of Fraps. If you under 30 fps, it will be hard to aim, to not say impossible under 20 frame.

The mouse too, some mouse are better than other. Try them. I prefer light mouse but I did not have the choice to move to a heavy mouse because I want to have more button. I got like 20 on this one.

Edited by Mak54291, 18 September 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

Some additional tips. If you do have trouble aiming at moving things, lasers and machine guns are awesome. Lasers and machine guns have no travel time (but MGs are very short range), and so if you touch the enemy you did something (as opposed to firing a cannon and missing entirely doing nothing).

If you have a choice between a fast enemy and a slow enemy, choose the one you can hit.

Sometimes legs are soft. They are often easier to hit than other body parts especially on big mechs and few put much protection on them. They won't be so fast without those legs.

-----------

If you really, really have trouble hitting things (or your frame rate is terrible)... consider LRMs, and hanging out with much bigger mechs who can do the fighting for you as demonstrated here in this chase camera video by Lordred

I am the "peppering" or "Softening" support of the lance, hammering mechs with LRMs as a Golden Boy (Kintaro) while BadMojo carries rapid-hitting Direct Fire support (Jagermech) and Chris King carries the team as our Tanker (Atlas), soaking up most of the damage in our place.

Lordred is playing as our camera and emergency base capper.

#15 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

View Postrob8861, on 17 September 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

Hi,

I recently discovered this game and I love it.
However, not gonna lie, it is hard to control the mech and I find it even harder to master aiming, especially during movement.
I was wondering if someone can give me some tips. every time I try to aim at a target (usually a moving target) I feel like I can never get the cross hair on the target. it is all over the place

Lower your mouse sensitivity. If it is still a problem, it means you did not lower it enough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users