Where Did I Go Wrong With My Pc Build?

37 replies to this topic

#1 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

Ok when It comes to Hardware, my motherboard: 990FX R2.0, my RAM, 16GB dual channel, my CPU: FX8350 8core, 4.0GB for each core, my video card, XFX7950(just installed it today), my PSU, 750watt, my HDD 750GB, my OS: Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.......now for some reason the only way I can get decent FPS rate is if I run my graphics settings on medium...and even then I get good FPS rates only half the time......I want to have really good FPS rates on MAX SETTINGS........what do I need to change about my hardware to reach my goal of being able to compete on max settings? Where did I go wrong with my PC build?

Also, since I installed my new video card today, none of my internet browsers work properly. Firefox and Google Chrome won't even boot...and when I used internet explorer I'm able to connect to this site and make these two posts...but for some reason I can't press "enter" and make a new paragraph.....however I can do it on my word processor. Anybody have an explanation for this?

#2 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

Well aside from now really knowing what PSU you have, your hardware is quite good; that's not the issue here.

There's a software issue somewhere. I'm pressed for time, so others will probably help you before I really can, but here's a few things to check:

-make sure your CPU and GPU are, in fact, running at the correct clocks, and you're not getting some kind of GPU-underclock bug or something (GPUZ can log GPU stats in the background)

-make sure you're running Full Window instead of Fullscreen, because fullscreen is buggy as hell

-what GPU drivers are you using?

-make sure voltage is stable during play; again, GPUZ can keep track of that (see how low your 12v rail gets).

-make sure your PCIE 16x slot is, in fact, set to 16x; that has been an issue before (yet again, you can use GPUZ)

-consider re-installing Windows; something sounds royally borked and for what sounds like a relatively fresh system, an hour or two doing that will be faster than any attempt at diagnosis and specific fixes

The fact that MWO runs at all means your GPU almost certainly isn't damaged; there's just a glitch somewhere.

#3 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

My best guess would be a borked driver/software issue. My first step would be to completely uninstall current drivers, and do a reinstall of the latest drivers. Don't forget to use a driver cleaner.

If that doesn't work, or only partially fixes the problem, check the PCIE settings, make sure it's running at 2.0 and x16.

Also...sounds like a decent rig. I can haz? :(

#4 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostBurned_Follower, on 17 September 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

Also, since I installed my new video card today, none of my internet browsers work properly. Firefox and Google Chrome won't even boot.

This seems very similar to a GPU driver conflict. Your system should also be running much slower than usual.

As stated above by darqsyde. Did you remove the old drivers before installing the new Videocard? Use driver cleaner to completely remove all Video card software (old and the new one), reboot your computer and your graphics settings should be back in the 90s (century not FPS :( ). At that point you can install the drivers for your new GPU and it "should" be fine.

#5 Bootsock

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

It's probably worth checking your component manufacturer's websites for firmware updates too. I had an issue where my GTX760 wouldn't play along well until my mobo BIOS was updated. After that, faultless.

In general and in line with the above comments, it sounds like a software issue of some description.

Edited by Bootsock, 17 September 2013 - 10:06 PM.

#6 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

Also make sure that your power settings are set to performance, MWO cant scale the cpu, you could also try a slight overclock of your cpu if your cooler will support it for most people this has stablized their FPS because MWO is so cpu dependent, it will hopfully change with DX11 implementation,

you may have downloaded an older version of the directx 9c (dxwebsetup.exe). the Dxwebsetup does not update itself. The message itself is simply stating that as far as it is concerned, you have all the necessary dx 9c modules installed, but it does not check for possible corrupted files.

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=8109

Utilize the above link. It is the entire dx 9c package. Download it, double click on it to get it started in unpacking it, ie download/directx 9c then run the setup.exe from the unpacked location. I use this when I want to ensure that any possible corrupted dx 9c files are being overwritten

#7 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

View Postdarqsyde, on 17 September 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

My best guess would be a borked driver/software issue. My first step would be to completely uninstall current drivers, and do a reinstall of the latest drivers. Don't forget to use a driver cleaner.

If that doesn't work, or only partially fixes the problem, check the PCIE settings, make sure it's running at 2.0 and x16.

Also...sounds like a decent rig. I can haz? :)

Thanks. I just re-did and updated ALL my drivers and I've seen a vast improvement. I can now play MWO on max graphics. I'm not out of the woods yet. So far my fps occasionally dips down to the 20's and sometimes 17fps during the heat of battle or right after I destroy a mech but when it happens it's so brief that MWO is still playable on max graphics. Note: This is the same in full screen and full windowed mode. ....Another thing that concerns me is that my GPU's temp maxes out at 76c during the heat of battle. I got excellent cable management and great airflow and lots of fans on my PC's case. Is there a good way to cool off my GPU other than pointing a house fan on it on full blast? Do they make liquid cooling solutions for GPUs or are they just for CPUs? My CPU is using a stock heat sink and the temps on it are fine. Is there ANYTHING else I can do to enhance my FPS rate? I would love to have 30+fps during the heat of battle. Is that doable at MWO's current stage of development?..........also, about the problem with my internet browsers: I still have a problem with firefox and google chrome not booting up and Internet Explorer is limited. How do I fix that?

#8 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

Cool it below 76C? No; 76C is a fine load temp, especially in MWO.

Is there ANYTHING else I can do to enhance my FPS rate?

Overclock your CPU. Beyond that, there's little to nothing you can do for more performance. When DX11 comes out, the situation will be better, but we don't know when that's going to be. It looks like they're looking to try it out any day now on the test server.

Edited by Catamount, 18 September 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#9 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

Cool thanks. I wasn't sure if my CPU temp was considered too high or high or not since my CPU doesn't go over 52c during the heat of battle. Now that my GPU problem is solved I can now focus on getting my browsers working again.

#10 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

They make closed loop liquid coolers for CPU (I use the antec 620) and hybrid liquid/air and air coolers for GPU (I use the arctic cooling line for my cards.) I don't go over 52 deg C on either component.

#11 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

I have an fx8320@4.2GHz with a Gigabyte WF3 HD7950 at stock settings and I average 40-50 fps with CPU bottlenecked minimums in the high 20s on maxed out settings. To achieve minimums>30 fps I have to run my CPU at 4.4 GHz with only 4 cores in use since my chips has a weak core (which is why it's not an fx8350 to be honest).

So if that's your problem I can only suggest that you overclock the ever loving {Scrap} out of your CPU.

EDIT: My GPU temps stay in the mid 50s range but that's due to the excellent WF3 cooler. Too bad all the new Gigabyte AMD GPUs are voltage locked.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 19 September 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#12 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

I agree with NM; I don't know how comfortable you are with OCing, but if you get the basic idea, I'd go ahead and do it. The maximum temperature before throttling appears to be 70C, so you have at least some headroom. I don't know what kind of cooler you have on there.

#13 reign

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 19 September 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

I have an fx8320@4.2GHz with a Gigabyte WF3 HD7950 at stock settings and I average 40-50 fps with CPU bottlenecked minimums in the high 20s on maxed out settings. To achieve minimums>30 fps I have to run my CPU at 4.4 GHz with only 4 cores in use since my chips has a weak core (which is why it's not an fx8350 to be honest).

So if that's your problem I can only suggest that you overclock the ever loving {Scrap} out of your CPU.

EDIT: My GPU temps stay in the mid 50s range but that's due to the excellent WF3 cooler. Too bad all the new Gigabyte AMD GPUs are voltage locked.

This.... I had a 6150 and it always seemed to be slow... even with a 7790 graphics card. Moved to the a10-6800k (4.4 ghz) and the game rocks now. I have a feeling it is all CPU speed bottleneck.

Edited by reign, 19 September 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#14 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

Well, I downloaded/installed a program called MSI Afterburner. I did this because a geek squad agent reccomended it over the phone when I was asking about my low FPS rates and heating issues(after several games in a row I was at 80 to 82c). I used MSI afterburner to turn the fan speeds all the way to 100 percent....I now just did 5 matches back to back on MAX SETTINGS ...and the LOWEST my FPS rate went during the heat of battle was 30fps.....and the Hightest temp was 72c...which cooled down to 59c less than five minutes of just hanging out in the mechlab. Looks like this matter is solved. Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I do intend on overclocking my CPU/GPU in the future just not at the moment. :(

Edited by Burned_Follower, 19 September 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#15 Magic Murder Bag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Naraka and Shinkoku

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

heh, least you can run your game with medium settings, I can't run mine properly without making all but texture detail low.

Build: Ge-force 660Ti, Intel quad processor i7, Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN 3 motherboard with 32gig RAM, forgot power supply brand but its wattage is 600, chassis is an Azza hurricane w/ 10 vent fans (damn thing thinks it's an AC unit for my room). Memory: Samsung 128 gig SATA3 and a Western Digital caviar black 1 terabyte hard drive. The rig in question is hooked to a Samsung TV via HDMI cable.

I'm going to get it checked by geek squad when i scrape enough money, but some suggestions would be nice for now.

#16 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostMagic Murder Bag, on 19 September 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

heh, least you can run your game with medium settings, I can't run mine properly without making all but texture detail low.

Build: Ge-force 660Ti, Intel quad processor i7, Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN 3 motherboard with 32gig RAM, forgot power supply brand but its wattage is 600, chassis is an Azza hurricane w/ 10 vent fans (damn thing thinks it's an AC unit for my room). Memory: Samsung 128 gig SATA3 and a Western Digital caviar black 1 terabyte hard drive. The rig in question is hooked to a Samsung TV via HDMI cable.

I'm going to get it checked by geek squad when i scrape enough money, but some suggestions would be nice for now.

Hey man, just to let you know I only use Geek squad as one source among multiple sources of information. For example, I used this forum, along with talking to Tiger Direct techs, geek squad agents and googling to solve the two issues mentioned in this thread. If there is a Tiger Direct store near you, take your PC to their techs first. They have their own equivilant of geek squad, but their techs are better and cheaper. Hope that helps. :(

#17 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

oh, and I don't think I'll EVER need to overclock my CPU in this game. I just monitored my CPU stats while in spectator mode....the HIGHEST CPU usage that my FX8350 8 core, 4GB per core CPU ever got was 35%.

And I just figured out that my 16GB of dual channel RAM was epic overkill. It usally takes 2GB to run my OS...but my RAM usage during the heat of battle on MWO was barely over 3GB...something like 3.4GB, lol.

#18 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostBurned_Follower, on 19 September 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

oh, and I don't think I'll EVER need to overclock my CPU in this game. I just monitored my CPU stats while in spectator mode....the HIGHEST CPU usage that my FX8350 8 core, 4GB per core CPU ever got was 35%.

And I just figured out that my 16GB of dual channel RAM was epic overkill. It usally takes 2GB to run my OS...but my RAM usage during the heat of battle on MWO was barely over 3GB...something like 3.4GB, lol.

"Gig per core"

What are you talking about...?

Your CPU doesn't divide RAM per core, and anything over 8 gigs will make literally no difference. The 8 "cores" on the FX-8350, it's the AMD version of Hyper-threading. It still isn't a true 8 core processor.

Your RAM is dual channel. It's optimal to use 2 sticks of 8GB each in the designated slots on your motherboard.

I have a very similar setup. My Processor is overclocked to 4.8 with an H100. 16GB DDR3 @ 1866. I have two Velociraptor 150GB drives in RAID0 now.

Let's dig deeper

What RAM are you using?
What model hard drive are you using?

I want to know the model number and who makes it.

Edited by Badconduct, 19 September 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#19 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostBurned_Follower, on 19 September 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

Hey man, just to let you know I only use Geek squad as one source among multiple sources of information. For example, I used this forum, along with talking to Tiger Direct techs, geek squad agents and googling to solve the two issues mentioned in this thread. If there is a Tiger Direct store near you, take your PC to their techs first. They have their own equivilant of geek squad, but their techs are better and cheaper. Hope that helps. :(

Geek squad is generally useless. All they are going to do is Google your problem and bill you for it. You can do that.

Edited by Badconduct, 19 September 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#20 Rorvik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationYYZ

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

I honestly wouldn't spend money on hardward for this game at this time. The engine is not optimized (dare I say, poorly optimized?) and that's what's causing many players with decent systems to have low FPS.

Case in point, when I play the game at medium settings, I can get 25-30 FPS while playing, but as soon as I die and spectate, BOOM, 50-60 FPS. Of course, this is a massive improvement given the state of the engine back in January, where getting 30 FPS at ANY time was a godsend.

If you're going to spend large amounts of money on powerful, expensive hardware to get better FPS, understand that what you're really doing is the equivalent of buying a Cataphract with which to carry 20 pounds of groceries; it might work, but you have to ask yourself why the groceries seem to way so ******* much...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users