23 replies to this topic

#21 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 481 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Just in point of fact, in regards to the assertion that damage splash is a factor in SRMS currently - no it is not. Splash damage was once several meters, funtioning as mentioned and overlapping, such the one part could be damaged by two missiles, hitting near but not on it.

That was removed long ago by reducing the spread radius to a fraction of a meter, something like 5 .5 centimeters, which is roughly 2 inches. That is the width of the actual impacting missile or thereabouts that is damaged. This means it will not overlap to any. secondary areas, so Splash is not a factor in damage with SRMS anymore.

As for SRMS being useful, they are but its usually en masse. I generally find the worthwhile number to be 8+, preferably 12-18. Often I find 3 SRM 4 better than 2 SRM 6 though because of srm4 having lower heat and cooldown, also allowing more sustained chainfire

#22 Sowaka

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

Alright, after all this I've ended up buying a Stalker-3F, I've used the SRMs to some effect but have trouble recognizing if the hit even registered, I love the weapons but the damage is horribly spread out even against slow moving assaults. It feels like it softens up the targets but in a 1v1 would be a bad weapon to bring to the table.

With that in mind, I've been eyeing the Kintaro-18 that was mentioned. Would running five SSRMs with the beacon be a bad idea? Ideally I like to harass at long range before getting into close range brawls, so SSRMs look very temping, but their damage output looks horrendously low on paper when I could bring five SRM6s onto the field and pepper my enemies with dumbfire rockets. However, I'm told that when chain fired multiple SSRMs are absolutely lethal due to hit shake. Could anyone advise me or elaborate on some information? Thank you so much for all the amazing help!

#23 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

The spread of the SRM is such that it's not reeeeeeealllly useful compared to other weapons. As mentioned above, if you can boat a lot of them, it's basically and explosive shotgun that can quickly take down an opponent, but otherwise, the spread is too great outside of point-blank.

#24 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

I use SRM's and med lasers on just about every build possible and have been since closed beta. I also mainly pilot medium mechs so yeah between nerfs and hit detection it has had its hard times. Don't waste money on artemis unless your in a higher tonned heavy or above its just a waste. If using a kintaro I would load streaks on the arm as Srm's tend to fly wide.

Tip for better hit efficiency aim for the inside shoulder at 100 meters for everything other than a light. With a light just slightly in front of them. This will maximize your missle contact.

Edited by PropagandaWar, 20 September 2013 - 10:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users