Practicing up for MWO

13 replies to this topic

#1 Heldar1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

Yea I know it, lots of posts like this floating around. I'm playing MW4 Mercs, and I figured if i was going to play it, I might as well play it as if it was MWO. So I went and found the list of all the weapons available in game:

Ballistic:
  • AC/2, AC/5, AC/10, AC/20
  • LB 10-X AC
  • Ultra AC 5
  • Gauss Riffle
  • Machine Gun
Energy:
  • Flamer
  • Small Laser, Medium Laser, Large Laser
  • ER Large Laser
  • Small Pulse Laser, Medium Pulse Laser, Large Pulse Laser
  • PPC
  • ER PPC
Missile Weapons:
  • LRM 5, LRM 10, LRM 15, LRM 20
  • SRM 2, SRM 4, SRM 6
  • Streak SRM
Then I went and got the list of mechs in game:

Lights - Jenner (not in MW4), Raven (in), Commando(not)

Meds - Hunchback(not), Centurion(not), Cicada(not)

Heavies - Catapult (in) , Cataphract(not)
Assaults - Stalker(not), Atlas(in), Awesome(in)

So from that list, I decided to try a bunch of different loadouts for each mech trying to stay as close to what I would GUESS would be the hardpoints in MWO. And so far, here is my current list -

Jenner- Haven't found a light that can properly emulate its setup yet (suggestions?)

Raven - Haven't been able to find one in game to buy (the one I want to try the most, of course :/ )

Commando - Same as Jenner

Hunchback - Thought a Ryoken (yea I know its a clan mech) would be suitable, even though its 5 tons heavier(I just left 5 tons unused completely). So far made it into a mean ballistic platform, rocking 2 Ultra AC 5's with 3 tons of ammo each, and 2 small lasers. Picks apart anything I've gone up against so far.

Centurion - haven't tried to find a suitable emulator

Cicada - Haven't tried to find a suitable emulator

Heavies and assaults i haven't touched yet either, but I plan to update this as often as possible, as I work out some things. Some suggestions would be fantastic for any builds you guys would think would work (the more unorthodox the better, IMO) ESPECIALLY some emulator mechs for the mechs that aren't in MW4 Mercs.

Also, if any of you are doing the same thing, please share your builds and tell us what you've found to work and not work. I understand that what works with these legacy games won'tnecessarily work in MWO, but can't hurt to fiddle around with it if we can, right?

Edited by Lagoth, 14 June 2012 - 01:23 PM.

#2 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

Honestly don't think you can practice up for things in MW4 for this. Might dust off the aiming and all and controls but as for mech load outs and other don't think its the same.

#3 Heldar1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

View Posttsula, on 14 June 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Honestly don't think you can practice up for things in MW4 for this. Might dust off the aiming and all and controls but as for mech load outs and other don't think its the same.

Agree with you completely. They are two completely different games. But the general idea is about the same, especially after limiting yourself on weaponry and what not. Really, its just a way to mess around with loadouts, then blow things up just cuz I have the option.

#4 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

All the mechs you listed are in MekTek's free version of MW4 except for the Cicada and Cataphract. The Jenner in MW4 is the IIC clan version though.

#5 Heldar1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostBarbaric Soul, on 14 June 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

All the mechs you listed are in MekTek's free version of MW4 except for the Cicada and Cataphract. The Jenner in MW4 is the IIC clan version though.

I was unaware there was a free release of MW4. Thanks for the heads up.. gonna download that now.

#6 MoCarnage

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSpringfield MO

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

Meh still pending8( But I tend to agree playing another game to practice for this one proly not going to work.

#7 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

haha, same idea like me...in quick battles i only use mechs and guns available to MWO (okay, couldn´t hold it back and ran around with a Marauder xD)

but i highly doubt that it will match with how MWO will be like... but it gets me over the time... like drinking gallons of soda while waiting for a bottle of scotch ;)

#8 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

MW:LL is probably a better choice for this. In all likelyhood, it's much more closer to MW:O than MW4... MW4 is probably the farthest of all the Mech games ;).

#9 Tterrag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

I've personally been practicing by taking on assault in a Raven I get lots of satisfaction from taking them down down

#10 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostBarbaric Soul, on 14 June 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

im having a problem with MW4+Mektek, I tried downloading/installing with their MTXpatcher thing, and the game wouldn't run. and the one time it did, the ingame was just full of graphical glitches.

What I'm saying is..... howd you get it to work? lol cause I'd love to play it again.

#11 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

Don't get me wrong thou I might knock some dust off for aiming and control wise but the load out are going to be limited even more by the way MW4 works compaired to MWO. Either way yes blowing up mechs is fun.

#12 Banshee Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 431 posts
  • LocationUncomfortably Close

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

you forgot the dragon, which is in mw4... actually it may be in the IS expansion, not sure, but it is available.

I was doing the same thing for a while ;)

#13 Heldar1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

Of course its not gonna match up with the new game. I don't expect it to. Maybe all the weapon stats will be WAAAAAY far off, or maybe they will be somewhat similar. Its more of a refresher and a preliminary mock up for load outs, really :P

View PostBanshee Bullet, on 14 June 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

you forgot the dragon, which is in mw4... actually it may be in the IS expansion, not sure, but it is available.

I was doing the same thing for a while ;)

Thank you, I completely forgot bout that one!

#14 KageRyuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

First of all, the Strider mech found in the free MekTek pack is the omni-version of the Cicada mech. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Strider

Second of all you must understand that the engine system is in no way equivalent to the TT rules and MWO as a whole, not to mention that the game completely ignores the Critical Slot mechanic from the TT and MWO.

Add to that that your only accessible armor being Ferro Fiber, and only accessible heat sinks are Double, you can eat up a lot of critical space in a matter of seconds leaving you with not a whole lot of space to accommodate weapons.

Additionally as I was saying about the engines before, the weight system seems completely off not to mention the fact that they all increase by half tons rather than following the engine chart in Tech Manual. So at best one can assume they're XL engines that are some how as tough as Standard Engines. As for the Internal Structure and gyro, its another safe assumption that they are Endo Steel and XL as well, which would leave you **** for critical space on a Hunchback.

For an example, the Hunchback from MekTek Pak when brought down to TT rules and converted as closely to an Hunchback 4G, would have the smallest engine available in MW4, but would actually be using a 250 XL engine, rather than a 200 Standard engine in TT rules. The ending result, with Endo Steel, XL Gyro, 9 tons of Ferro Fiber, AC20 with 2 tons of ammo, 2 Medium Lasers and 1 small laser, would leave you 2 empty critical slots, and 9 free tons TT Rules, or 2 crits and 8 Tons Free in MW4 Mercs (it would still read 9, but given that each ballistic weapon in Mercs gets a free ton of ammo it really doesn't count. And I have no idea where that extra ton comes from).

So in short, MW4 Mercs isn't the best bet for figuring out good load outs or strategies at all.

Edited by KageRyuu, 14 June 2012 - 02:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users