Modding Sandbox

2 replies to this topic

#1 Koe

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

As a long-time Mechwarrior fan I've been playing the games since I was snot-nosed kid, and while I like the direction PGI is going I don't like how what they say goes and no one can do a thing about it, barring the weekly questionnaire. My idea is that they release a separate program that has all the different tools they used to make this game so players can have their own modding sandbox, letting the players implement their own ideas.

Since this is a multiplayer game, the sandbox would be stored client-side and plug into the program on the player's computer, using the computer's stored assets so it wouldn't affect the main program used to play online and keeping the sandbox from affecting anything. An implementation like this would allow PGI to still have their base game while allowing the players freedom to tinker with their own sandbox.

As a separate program, the sandbox could be linked to a website to allow distribution of mods as well.

The Steam Workshop shows that modding works, and modding like this could let players add hundreds of hours of playability onto the base game. A computer AI that could be played against in the training ground would be immensely beneficial, and while PGI might not implement it, it could be released as a player-made mod and distributed through the sandbox website.

An AI wouldn't be the only thing that could be modded - mech designs, bug fixes, weapons, and even single player campaigns could be created. The Steam Workshop shows that modding works, and with the fanbase that MWO has already, tons of great content could be created.

Plus, with how the sandbox would plug into the base game to use it's assets, PGI could monitor the different mods and see what's good and what's not.

Anyway, I'd like to know what others and PGI think about this idea.
-Koe

#2 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

i think that would be hard for a f2p game to do

#3 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

Don't think it's really a problem for f2p games, but rather it would be a problem for PvP games. This game is purely player vs. player. Anyone in a given battle would have to have the right mods to enjoy that content.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users