Reinstalling My Os

6 replies to this topic

#1 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

For the last few days my Firefox and google chrome browser will not start. I've googled out every possible solution and tried them and had zero success. I am considering formatting my HDD and reinstalling my OS(windows 7 ultimate 64bit OEM).

But I've been told that when it comes to an OEM, once u install it into a HDD u can't do it again. My OS is OEM. So if I format my HDD will I have to buy another cd? If so I can't afford that. Can I reformat my HDD without losing my OS? If so how?

Also, if anyone has a solution on why my browsers don't work anymore let me know. Internet Explorer starts up but is glitchy as F. I'm actually using my iPhone to make this post. I can play MWO just fine now, just can't browse the net.

#2 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

No, there is no way to reformat your HDD without losing your OS.
What you are talking about is probably the licence key for your OS.

Some OEM installs have a minimal amount of re-installs.

In general though, if windows refuses to activate you can contact microsoft and insist they activate as no hardware has changed, thus it is still the "same computer".

Failing that, activation can always be cracked if they will not let you access what is rightfully yours.

Finally, to stop this happening again, get a copy of "Acronis True Image Home" Ideally the 2010 version, the 2011 version is not as good (IMHO).
This software will let you take a snapshot of your OS partition and save it as a file.
To use it best, you should partition your PC's hard disk into a C: and D: partition.

NEVER store any documents or anything you want to keep on C:, ALWAYS save it to D:
After you reinstall your new OS, take an image of C: and keep it on D:
It is fine to install apps to C:. but try to install games to D:
Install the "Acronis Boot Manager" from the toolbox.

Now, if you cannot boot, you can hit F11 on start, select the image file from D: and flash it to C:
This is why I say save nothing to C: - in an emergency you want to be able to overwrite C: and not care.

#3 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

If the hardware has not changed, the OEM *SHOULD* take with no issues. You're reinstalling on the same hardware with the same licensed copy.

Even if you have an authentication issue, just call the 800 number and call the automated activation line. It's actually fairly painless: read in numbers, type in numbers.

The odds of having to talk to a real world person to get your reinstall resolved are less than 1%, but if you DO, just tell them you are doing a full format reinstall on the exact same hardware and they'll give you a new activation key for it.

The other option is to grab a decent antivirus [which is *NOT* McAffee or Norton. . I recommend Avast! or even Microsoft Security Essentials, as they're both free] as well as spybot search and destroy, malwarebytes anti-malware, and ccleaner if you haven't attempted to . . "clean up" your issue yet. [ok, this MAY not be your issue. . but I've heard this kind of story more than a few times before, so forgive my .. . . cynicism]

The other option you may have, if you have system restore turned on by default, is to see how far back it goes and restore from the farthest backup you can.

Lastly, and I'm sure you've already done this, make sure you've got all your important files backed up to an external drive of some kind.

#4 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:23 AM

Are you running on a laptop? I've recently had a hard drive start going south giving me similar issues, also if you get a new hard drive I know most manufactures have their own "version" of acronis that you can download for free (seagate has maxblaster and segate tools for doss) as long as It detects one of their drives connected to the computer it will work. you will also need a usb to sata connector if you have a laptop to do this, preferably one with its own power supply.

#5 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Yeah you'll have no real issues with the reinstall. Like EvilC said, even if you somehow do (which usually takes WAY more than two installs), just call Microsoft, tell them you're not using it on multiple computers when they ask, and they'll activate it. I mean, honestly, they'll activate it almost no matter what you tell them unless something has changed in the last couple of years; those people really do not give a flying ****.

I told you it would be easier to just reinstall Windows and skip all the other troubleshooting :D

[as an side, it's hilarious that the forums have an enforced language filter, but the game doesn't have a filter of any kind]

Edited by Catamount, 19 September 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#6 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

Well, it looks like I don't have to reinstall my OS after all...I was just about to start backing up all my stuff before re-installing and it doned on me: Why not just try a "clean boot". Maybe my internet browsers will work after that.

So I tried it and firefox is working perfectly again. Wow, just saved myself an entire afternoon, lol. Sorry to waste ya'all's time. Well, i know how to fix this next time, lol. Thanks for all the helpful info though.

#7 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostevilC, on 19 September 2013 - 03:46 AM, said:

No, there is no way to reformat your HDD without losing your OS.
What you are talking about is probably the licence key for your OS.

Some OEM installs have a minimal amount of re-installs.

In general though, if windows refuses to activate you can contact microsoft and insist they activate as no hardware has changed, thus it is still the "same computer".

Failing that, activation can always be cracked if they will not let you access what is rightfully yours.

Finally, to stop this happening again, get a copy of "Acronis True Image Home" Ideally the 2010 version, the 2011 version is not as good (IMHO).
This software will let you take a snapshot of your OS partition and save it as a file.
To use it best, you should partition your PC's hard disk into a C: and D: partition.

NEVER store any documents or anything you want to keep on C:, ALWAYS save it to D:
After you reinstall your new OS, take an image of C: and keep it on D:
It is fine to install apps to C:. but try to install games to D:
Install the "Acronis Boot Manager" from the toolbox.

Now, if you cannot boot, you can hit F11 on start, select the image file from D: and flash it to C:
This is why I say save nothing to C: - in an emergency you want to be able to overwrite C: and not care.

Download a torrent of the version of Windows you are running, burn it to a CD and make sure you can boot off of it.

There should be a CD key for Windows on a sticker on the back of the tower.

If you use Acronis and take a snap shot of your OS, all of your problems are coming too.

Before you even do any of that, uninstall Flash from your computer and reinstall the latest version. Remove all your plug ins, and reset the browsers back to their default settings. Flash is known for causing hard-lock ups on 64 bit OS. They are planning on removing it from both Firefox and Chrome in the near future.

Edited by Badconduct, 26 September 2013 - 03:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users