Mech Question

Mech noob help starting

12 replies to this topic

#1 ZeuZ_LoD

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hello everyone! Just installed the game and played a few matches and my first impressions are is that the game absolutely rocks. Got 5 guildies to follow me to the game and played a few matches with them. We all had the same questions when it came to chosing a mech and we couldn't figure out the answer.

Question 1: All we could see was a choice from 4 trial mechs, is that our ownly option from the getgo? Or do we have to buy one of those already prebuilt mechs that's on the list? More importantly, most of us would rather just pick a base type (Heavy in my case) and just use that and upgrade our equipment as we gain more exp/cash/etc. Can we build our own custom mechs? Any help would be highly appreciated! B)

#2 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationother side of the ridge firing lrms at ya

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

You use the trials till you can afford one of the cbill purchasable mechs, unless you spend real money to get one.

Then you can customize their loadouts based on the chassis hardpoints and stats.

example:

You can buy a CPLT-K2 catapult. Rip the PPCS off and add Large Lasers and extra heatsinks to make it run cooler. Then upgrade to double heatsinks , XL engine, Endo Steel, ER large lasers, etc... to make it fit your desires. But since it lacks missile hardpoints you can't slap any missile launchers on it.

#3 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

It's important to note that your first 25 matches have the "Cadet Bonus." The current trials, all champion mechs, are pretty solid. I'd stick with those until your first 25 matches are over. This should net you enough C-Bills to trick out a custom mech, give you a pretty solid feel for each weight-class, and get you into the swing of things. If you head to mwo.smurfy-net.de, you can play around with builds to see what's possible and how much it will cost.

Good luck, and good hunting!

#4 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

If you haven't already, play your first 25 matches with the free bonus time (click download, cancel it, should be a button there.) Also, which of the trials do you like? Jenner (somewhat expensive due to XL), Cent, Dragon (not recommended as even I have trouble with it), or Atlas (expensive)?

#5 ZeuZ_LoD

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

Ah, thank for all the info guys, very helpful!!

View Postluxebo, on 18 September 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

If you haven't already, play your first 25 matches with the free bonus time (click download, cancel it, should be a button there.) Also, which of the trials do you like? Jenner (somewhat expensive due to XL), Cent, Dragon (not recommended as even I have trouble with it), or Atlas (expensive)?

Weird, I dont see any button for this free bonus time. I looked everywhere and I just literally made my account few hours ago. Where can you check to see if you have the bonus time already active, and if not, where and how do you start it?

#6 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

I used to recommend the Hunchback 4sp as the started but I think the Cent-A is now the best starter for 5 reasons:
1. Its is cheap to outfit with a standard engine
2. It is very versatile try all the wep groups in one mech boat, try, boat again try.
3. If you rock a standard engine it will survive longer than it should, hence you get to pilot and play the game more!
4. You will have a good balance of speed and maneuverability, to decide later what you want. More or less.
5. It is still an accepted 12 man clan mech! Might as well start in something that the top ppl wont sneer at!

edit: 4, either speed and maneuverability or more firepower!

Edited by Johnny Reb, 18 September 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:00 AM

View Postzeuzlod, on 18 September 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

Ah, thank for all the info guys, very helpful!!

Weird, I dont see any button for this free bonus time. I looked everywhere and I just literally made my account few hours ago. Where can you check to see if you have the bonus time already active, and if not, where and how do you start it?

Here is my brief guide for collecting the 1-day premium. It's still an active offer! It's the button that reads "offer redeemed" on my screenshot but for a new user will say "Redeem Now | Premium Time"

View PostRedshift2k5, on 05 September 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

Step 1: go to the download page.

Posted Image

Step 2: Click the big blue button

Posted Image

Step 3: Click the "Redeem now Premium time" button bottom left (Mine says "offer redeemed" already)

Troubleshooting: Clear browsing data, disable ad blockers. Try a different computer or a different browser.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 19 September 2013 - 03:01 AM.

#8 Lightning Kurita

• PipPip
  • The Icon
  • The Icon
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:05 AM

U can try fitting Mechs in different ways wih this website

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

simply click on the Mech u want to customize and have fun ;)

Maybe it takes abit to find everything out, but as soon as u got it, it will be much easier to fitt ur Mechs ingame

#9 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

Another nice thing about Smurfy is that it tells you how many c-bills that mech will cost. Also, note that mechs can either be bought with C-bills, which is the in-game money that you earn for every match, or with MC, which is bought using real money. I don't recommend spending real money on this game for mechs or anything other than mech bays eventually. But for now, you will be fine with the 4 mech bays you get. Once you have purchased a mech, you will gain xp that you can use to increase the mech's efficiency, just make sure you use mech xp, not gxp for those.

#10 Dalziel Hasek Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire, UK

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

View Postzeuzlod, on 18 September 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

Question 1: All we could see was a choice from 4 trial mechs, is that our ownly option from the getgo? Or do we have to buy one of those already prebuilt mechs that's on the list?

In the Mechlab there are two tabs to the left of the row of 'Mechs you can choose from titled "Trial 'Mechs" and "Owned 'Mechs". If you click on "Owned 'Mechs" you will see four empty 'Mechbays, each with a button "Buy 'Mech". Click on the button and browse the list of available chassis that you can buy with C-Bills or Mechwarrior Credits (real money).

Be aware that you are earning a cadet bonus during your first 25 matches which will add up to 8m C-Bills. You will also earn 1-2m C-Bills of normal earnings during these first matches giving you a starting budget of 10m C-Bills. Factor in 1.5m C-Bills for upgrading your chassis to double heat sinks before you buy the chassis.

More importantly, most of us would rather just pick a base type (Heavy in my case) and just use that and upgrade our equipment as we gain more exp/cash/etc. Can we build our own custom mechs? Any help would be highly appreciated! ;)

Yes - that's how it should work. You play with trial 'Mechs for 25 matches or until you are comfortable with which one suits you best, then you buy your first chassis and start playing with that until you have unlocked all of the basic skills, and can afford the next variant of the same chassis - repeat until you have mastered the chassis (three variants) then choose a new chassis. Rinse and repeat.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

Edited by Dalziel Hasek Davion, 19 September 2013 - 06:26 AM.

#11 Muffinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

View Postmailin, on 19 September 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

Another nice thing about Smurfy is that it tells you how many c-bills that mech will cost. Also, note that mechs can either be bought with C-bills, which is the in-game money that you earn for every match, or with MC, which is bought using real money. I don't recommend spending real money on this game for mechs or anything other than mech bays eventually. But for now, you will be fine with the 4 mech bays you get. Once you have purchased a mech, you will gain xp that you can use to increase the mech's efficiency, just make sure you use mech xp, not gxp for those.

It's all relative if you have, y'know, a job, buying a chassis or 2 you really want is pretty worth it to save a lot of grinding... then you only have to grind to upgrade it.

#12 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

View Postzeuzlod, on 18 September 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

Hello everyone! Just installed the game and played a few matches and my first impressions are is that the game absolutely rocks. Got 5 guildies to follow me to the game and played a few matches with them. We all had the same questions when it came to chosing a mech and we couldn't figure out the answer.

Question 1: All we could see was a choice from 4 trial mechs, is that our ownly option from the getgo? Or do we have to buy one of those already prebuilt mechs that's on the list? More importantly, most of us would rather just pick a base type (Heavy in my case) and just use that and upgrade our equipment as we gain more exp/cash/etc. Can we build our own custom mechs? Any help would be highly appreciated! ;)

You will not be able to buy a mech for your first 25 matches. But you will earns far more than normal CBills for your first 25 matches as well. So by the time you finish them, you will have enough to buy almost anything you want.

Trial mechs are always free to use. Even after the first 25 matches, you can use them whenever you want. But you cannot alter them (no changing equipment or cammo). You can change weapon grouping, but thats it. You will earn CBills with them, but not XP.

Trail mechs are generally considered hard to use...they are not optimized for a given person's playstyle. So most people don't use them unless they have to (which you do for the first 25 matches). After you complete the 25 matches, you should have a general idea of your playstyle and can go pick a mech that fits it better, and begin customizing it for yourself.

There is no inherent advantage of any one mech over another. All have advantages and disadvantages. Most people gravitate towards heavy because it is more familiar, but the best mech depends entirely on your playstyle. The best tank in the game is not a heavy or assault mech, for example.

#13 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

Umm, you do earn XP with the Trials. You just can't use it towards Basicing them until you buy that variant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users