Stop mixing terms please: Cone of Fire != Reticle accuracy indicator

41 replies to this topic

#41 Riptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

These are Battlemechs, top of the battlefield technology for the time. They have no "cone of fire".

Are you kidding me?

Battlemechs have worse computers and electronics then the technology we have available now.

When was the last time you saw a stealth bomber or cruise missles in the battletech universe (during the time this game is set mind you)? They are not available anymore because the houses bombed each other into oblivion. They dont even have the technological understanding anymore to replace simple mech factorys... And we are talking about thousands of worlds and there are only 6 or 7 planets per house amongst them capable of producing battlemechs...

The only technology that is more advanced then what we currently have is the use of energy weapons and the myomer muscles. Everything else is only equal or even lower tech then what we can use. (As in battlemech technology... would be cool if we had spaceships allready...)

Mind you this is largely due to when mechwarrior was invented no one could forsee how fast technology in the real world would advance. An average gamer PC has more calculation power then an IS tech level 1 Rifleman... and that dude was suposed to be an AA mech.

The targeting computers are not at the level of what we have in 2011 but more of what we had in the 80s

It is more amongst the lines of past WW2 era fighter jets electronics then anything else, and those often only used missle weapons in Air to air combat so no manual aiming anymore. But mechs use mainly direct fire weapons and not heat guided missles as their main weapons.

Edited by Riptor, 12 November 2011 - 10:03 AM.

#42 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

View PostCreel, on 12 November 2011 - 09:29 AM, said:

That's pretty much how machine guns actually work. I like to think of it as the 'wall of lead' school of fire discipline. In mech v mech combat, MGs are useless. They're anti-infantry weapons.

No, thats not how MGs work. Machine guns when mounted on vehicles can be ridiculous accurate. There is no "wall of lead" its a stream of lead. And for the purposes of this game, assuming there is no infantry to fight, the need to be useful at something. If they are somehow spitting bullets at everything within 30 degrees of where you are aiming, then its just gonna look dumb and defy common sense.

They aren't.

Explain to me how if both weapon are in range, a madcat's large laser can hit while the medium mounted just underneath will miss, the only way is if they are literally TRYING to miss. it makes no sense.

yeah, that's what I want.

edit: bold isn't as bold as I'd like so, to clarify... Spreading the damage around effectively is what I want.

which is what i am saying, we can have hard to aim weapon with realistic accuracy and still spread damage around to avoid the focus fire nonsense, so whats the problem? we don't need mechs looking like they can't do anything right in order to achieve that.

View PostRiptor, on 12 November 2011 - 09:50 AM, said:

stuff about targeting computers being sucky

Not true, read up on some of the stuff people like Cray (who is a dev for the TT) have written on the CBT boards or what Nebfer has written here on these.
Battletech vehicles having lousy aim only really applies if you actually take the tabletop ranges completely literally. However it has been stated before that the tabletop ranges are not literal, but shortened abstractions for the sake of fitting the game on an average sized table. Its even been stated as such in the rule books, with optional rules for increasing weapon ranges to far in excess of the standard.

If you look at some of the number crunching thats been done, many BT weapons are actually reaching out to somewhere like 5-20 kilometers or more.

Edited by VYCanis, 12 November 2011 - 12:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users