Control Suggestions For Better Gameplay

5 replies to this topic

#1 Mord76

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

Based on my experience with other mech or tank games, I have the following suggestions for the handling of the mechs, which I believe will improve gameplay a lot.

1) When stationary, when you move the mech's torso at the very far right or left side and you continue to move your mouse, I think that the feet should rotate also to follow the camera movement. That way you would not always have to press the directional keys to follow an enemy, at a time when your fingers should be on the numbers and not on the letters.

2) When you move at one direction and you look somewhere else and then turn your feet, the torso should NOT turn too!!! Instead the torso should stay fixed where you originally point with your mouse and just the feet change their direction, at least until you reach the limit of your torso-feet deflection. Imagine something like the effect of "F" key, only that in this case you would not necessary center your feet with your camera. It is very frustrating, when you spot an enemy at a different angle and manually turn your mech, to loose focus on the enemy all the time.

#2 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostMord76, on 19 September 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

Based on my experience with other mech or tank games, I have the following suggestions for the handling of the mechs, which I believe will improve gameplay a lot.

1) When stationary, when you move the mech's torso at the very far right or left side and you continue to move your mouse, I think that the feet should rotate also to follow the camera movement. That way you would not always have to press the directional keys to follow an enemy, at a time when your fingers should be on the numbers and not on the letters.

2) When you move at one direction and you look somewhere else and then turn your feet, the torso should NOT turn too!!! Instead the torso should stay fixed where you originally point with your mouse and just the feet change their direction, at least until you reach the limit of your torso-feet deflection. Imagine something like the effect of "F" key, only that in this case you would not necessary center your feet with your camera. It is very frustrating, when you spot an enemy at a different angle and manually turn your mech, to loose focus on the enemy all the time.

1. It sounds like you're firing weapons with the number keys. You should bind your weapon groups to your mouse buttons or something you can hit while your left hand is on WASD.

2. Honestly, aiming while turning is a big skill component of the game, and I don't think many people would be happy with an auto-stabilizer. Practice shooting on the move while turning in the testing grounds. It's hard to get used to, but it's rewarding when you can nail it.

#3 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

take what homeless bill says as gospel, when it comes to mechwarrior the man knows what he's talking about.
as for your 2 points, it only takes some practice, it will be like second nature once you get the hang of it

#4 Praehotec8

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 851 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

1.) I disagree. I want my 'mech's feet to be where I put them. Keeping track of your overall orientation is a huge part of piloting in this game, and does not need to be made simpler. Follow Homeless Bill's suggestion, or do what I do, run a joystick setup (which has its own downsides).

2.) Again, it takes practice, but the way it works now is actually very effective and versatile. Not sure how many matches you've been in, but it took me about 20-30 before I really had any kind of real understanding of how 'mechs move. It just takes time.

#5 Mord76

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 19 September 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

1. It sounds like you're firing weapons with the number keys. You should bind your weapon groups to your mouse buttons or something you can hit while your left hand is on WASD.

2. Honestly, aiming while turning is a big skill component of the game, and I don't think many people would be happy with an auto-stabilizer. Practice shooting on the move while turning in the testing grounds. It's hard to get used to, but it's rewarding when you can nail it.

1. Most simple mouse only have 2-3 buttons. No way one can make a configuration of 6 different weapons with mouse only.

2. This is a matter of personal taste really, but in no way I am talking about auto-stabilizer. Just that I want the camera where I put it, OK maybe with a little vibration due to the feet movement. Furthermore, this could be implemented like an option with a checkbox in the options menu. If you have tried the smooth gameplay of "World of Tanks" you will know what I am talking about.

#6 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostMord76, on 20 September 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

1. Most simple mouse only have 2-3 buttons. No way one can make a configuration of 6 different weapons with mouse only.

2. This is a matter of personal taste really, but in no way I am talking about auto-stabilizer. Just that I want the camera where I put it, OK maybe with a little vibration due to the feet movement. Furthermore, this could be implemented like an option with a checkbox in the options menu. If you have tried the smooth gameplay of "World of Tanks" you will know what I am talking about.

1. Build your 'mechs to have two or three weapon groups. Honestly, more weapon groups usually means you're running a Frankenstein build with a little bit of everything - which is not a good plan. The three mouse buttons are all I've ever used, and I'd like to think I'm a pretty competent player. When I need more groups, I bind other keys, but they have to work while I'm maneuvering with WASD.

2. Having the camera stay put is what I'd consider an auto-stabilizer. If it wasn't difficult to aim while turning, I think it would take a large chunk of skill out of the game. I definitely understand that it's disorienting and annoying as a new player. Even as a veteran, I miss a lot of shots while turning. But I think that's a valid part of the skill set that he game should have. MechWarrior is different than almost any other game because of its component-based health. If aiming for specific components wasn't difficult, it would have some pretty drastic effects on balance.

What immediately comes to mind is how much easier it would be for a good light pilot to absolutely dominate. If they didn't have to worry about their aim moving while circling, I fear you'd see 'mechs going down ridiculously fast. Basically, I already think that everything dies too quickly in this game, and adding that feature would be a devastating advantage in combat.

Though I'm not opposed to it being an option in the testing grounds, I feel like this is just one of those things that new players need to suffer through and get used to. Again, if it didn't cause a drastic shift in the way combat played out, I'd be more okay with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users