- - - - -

Pure Pvp?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Dracounguis

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

I've played all the previous MW games and enjoyed them alot. They all had, to varying degrees some 1 player story-arc set of missions. I'm guessing MWO doesn't have that? Or am I just not looking in the right place? Or does my noob arse get dropped straight into the PvP grinder?

#2 Lucky Noob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

No, youre Right, its straight PVP

#3 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

its all PVP

but theres a lore oriented community warfare coming up Soon TM. With that we will get base assault game modes, possibly with NPCs tanks etc.

Edited by Jin Ma, 19 September 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

View PostDracounguis, on 19 September 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

I've played all the previous MW games and enjoyed them alot. They all had, to varying degrees some 1 player story-arc set of missions. I'm guessing MWO doesn't have that? Or am I just not looking in the right place? Or does my noob arse get dropped straight into the PvP grinder?

If it helps, to the left of Launch is a little square-shaped button with a mech figure in it. Click that, then Tutorial and Testing Ground.

That'll help you out for the starting stuff.

#5 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

PvP grinder?

Yep... 2 years of PvP grind.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

If it helps any, here's footage in a playlist from back when that was much more fun (collisions, better graphics, knockdowns, repair and rearm, heat management that matters, mediums that would go 64 kph and still beat an assault down, etc.)

#7 Earl White

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:54 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 September 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

If it helps any, here's footage in a playlist from back when that was much more fun (collisions, better graphics, knockdowns, repair and rearm, heat management that matters, mediums that would go 64 kph and still beat an assault down, etc.)

I wasn't playing back in those days, but the main videos (not necessarily your videos) I see of collisions/knockdown is people unable to control their mech for a good few mins while they get rammed over and over, doesn't look like my idea of fun.

Edited by Earl White, 20 September 2013 - 04:54 AM.

#8 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

Well, consider it the fix for the awful Spider hitbox... just knock it down!

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:29 AM

There were problems, yes. Mainly in the Dragon in that it could knock down anything just by touching it, and a lack of a physics system for causing it (velocity + mass) for example.

#10 I C Wiener

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:33 AM

View PostWarge, on 19 September 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

Yep... 2 years of PvP grind.

2 years? Must have missed one then...

View PostKoniving, on 19 September 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

I guess you remember the ton of technical issues that came with the "collisions" and "better graphics" back then too? And repair & rearm was exploitable and unforgiving to new users...

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

View PostI C Wiener, on 20 September 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

I guess you remember the ton of technical issues that came with the "collisions" and "better graphics" back then too? And repair & rearm was exploitable and unforgiving to new users...

I do. But there's no denying the fun in being a Raven 4X carrying an AC/20, and DROP KICKING an Atlas in the FACE, then turning around and shooting him in the cockpit if you're lucky enough not to topple over too. :)

Far as R&R yes their design sucked. Actually most of PGI's game mechanic iterations have been poorly thought out.

I made several redesigns to the repair and rearm system that would be extremely forgiving (as in, charges nothing so long as they don't break certain conditions) to new players.

It has an optional level of repair and rearm entry (you choose how much you fork over by how much you upgrade your mech). The most important feature is that so long as you haven't upgraded anything, you pay nothing. You only pay for repairs associated with upgrades, Lost Tech and Rare Tech. All of these would be clearly defined and warn you that the faction you ally with (this includes as a lone wolf, as the faction you're thrown in with each match pays for your basic stuff) will not pay for "this upgrade" or "repairs to this weapon" or "more than 4 tons of a specific type of ammunition."

It's made to work in conjunction with the CW concept in which "the more loyalty points you have, the more rank you get, and the more cbills you earn" angle mentioned way back in the ATD 30s.

Thus, as you start, you and everyone else will likely keep trial-level mechs. There may be someone who upgrades fully but he will go into debt so fast in his first few matches that he'll literally drown in misery. Some may do one or two upgrades, at financial risk and lowered income. It's true. But all in all the battlefield will be a lot more forgiving to newer players so long as the mechs they face are also in similar situations of low rank.

The idea is to allow you to "ease" into a better mech, rather than instantly being told to upgrade. This adds playtime and life to the game, lets you get a little more attached to your mech, and ensures that until you're ranked up enough to start affording it, most of those you face should be just as low tech as you. The occasional high tech, pristine condition, high ranked player as an opponent should encourage new players to begin cooperating very, very early on creating good habits for the future in which they will coordinate with each other to bring down superior threats.

And thus, as you rank up with your faction, your income rises. With the rising income, you can afford to run those upgrades. With the upgrades, you can enjoy the game as a completely different experience, thus continuing to add life to it.

Details on it found here. Under the bold topic header in my post (#186) : "Repair and rearm? GAH! NO!"

Edited by Koniving, 20 September 2013 - 05:48 AM.

#12 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

The last one.

Battletech has always been PvP. The MW PC games turned it into a single player experience, but thats not how it was originally. MWO goes back to battletech roots. This is really how the PC games SHOULD have been, but could not have been because of tech limitations at the time.

And I played all of them too. But IMO, compared to this, they suck balls. This is the real thing. Those games were a "better than nothing" version of the real thing.

#13 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:33 AM

Or does my noob arse get dropped straight into the PvP grinder?

But if it makes you feel better, it is team based PVP...so you are not really playing solo against someone else. You have other players helping you.

The losses are also not permanent...it is not hardcore PvP the way EVE Online is. You have no chance of losing your mech or even losing any money...you gameplay just determines how much extra you make, and your stats. You will never go backwards unless you sell stuff.

#14 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

View PostJin Ma, on 19 September 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

With that we will get base assault game modes, possibly with NPCs tanks etc.

I get accused of being a PGI {Noble MechWarrior} sometimes (I'm not, I just happen to agree with PGI for some of the controversial issues), but I wouldn't dream of tanks, aeroplanes, and NPCs anywhere even close to the foreseeable future.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostKrivvan, on 20 September 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

I get accused of being a PGI {Noble MechWarrior} sometimes (I'm not, I just happen to agree with PGI for some of the controversial issues), but I wouldn't dream of tanks, aeroplanes, and NPCs anywhere even close to the foreseeable future.

I agree. The closest we might see is in the form of a module, but I sincerely doubt we'll even get that. Although for now, get an airstrike and look to the sky after setting it. At least there's an Aerotech bomber.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users