- - - - -

Useless Skills ? O.o

16 replies to this topic

#1 Nick REX Trebla

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:26 AM

Can someone explain why in the Pilot's skill-tree of a Raven (Pilot Lab > Mech Trees) there is "Arm Reflex" for example??? Isn't it pretty useless as the Raven has NOT moving arms???? O.o

#2 ShockATC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:41 AM

Well, arms are also the "side-slaps" that you can move up and down.

#3 Ashenfall

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

Wrong

The Raven DOES in fact have arms. But unlike the arms you're probably familiar with on the Commando, Hunchback, Cataphract etc. they only move up and down, not left and right. Arm reflex does affect the Raven's up and down aim speed, along with the Jenner's

Arguably the useless skill in this game is the elite tier Pinpoint, which supposedly speeds up convergence on weapons. Convergence however, has been removed from the game since closed beta, and all weapons, arm mounted or torso mounted, converge instantly, so Pinpoint really is useless. Every other pilot skill has some benefit

#4 Nick REX Trebla

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:04 AM

Up and down uh? ... ok. ty... meh...

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

View PostNick REX Trebla, on 20 September 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

Can someone explain why in the Pilot's skill-tree of a Raven (Pilot Lab > Mech Trees) there is "Arm Reflex" for example??? Isn't it pretty useless as the Raven has NOT moving arms???? O.o

Truth be told... Arm reflex actually affects torso twist. And the torso twist one doesn't have an effect.

But these have been low priority, and most people don't even notice. There's supposed to be a revamping of pilot skills soon.
I just freaking hope that they remove "Heat Containment" and "Cool Run."

Oh and the convergence one is also useless -- convergence is instant.

#6 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:54 AM

Fast Fire is also useless dead skill like Convergence

#7 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

View PostKoniving, on 20 September 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

Truth be told... Arm reflex actually affects torso twist. And the torso twist one doesn't have an effect.

But these have been low priority, and most people don't even notice. There's supposed to be a revamping of pilot skills soon.
I just freaking hope that they remove "Heat Containment" and "Cool Run."

Oh and the convergence one is also useless -- convergence is instant.

Can you show us where there is evidence of a ravamp coming soon to pilot skills? I ask because I thought they said they were satisfied with the current system as they'd abandoned the earlier design goal (pillar?)

View PostscJazz, on 20 September 2013 - 04:54 AM, said:

I thought they fixed fast fire, although it USED to slow down your fire ironically... I thought that's why their idea of .52 CD on the AC2 didn't fix it's ghost heat issue.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

View PostAym, on 20 September 2013 - 05:08 AM, said:

Can you show us where there is evidence of a ravamp coming soon to pilot skills? I ask because I thought they said they were satisfied with the current system as they'd abandoned the earlier design goal (pillar?)

All I got is the statement provided somewhere between ATD 40 and 45. And honestly they abandoned a LOT of early design pillars. There's also been questions popping up asking about GXP refunds on the skills that get radically changed.
-----
I've been keeping a notepad that I call "Intelligent Game Design."

Whenever I think of something, I throw in a note to work on relating to something PGI did, and how it could have been better designed to fulfill one or more of the design pillars.

Role warfare and information warfare being at the top of the pillar list of what's been abandoned.

Various design changes include a non-cloaking ECM
Spoiler

Using specific heat thresholds and a non-rising system as a method of mech tweaking/quirks,
Spoiler

Role specific tweaks.
Spoiler

And I'm throwing in this tidbit with the design pillar "information warfare" about the Seismic Sensor.
Spoiler

and the list goes on.

Edited by Koniving, 20 September 2013 - 06:45 AM.

#9 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

View PostAym, on 20 September 2013 - 05:08 AM, said:

I thought they fixed fast fire, although it USED to slow down your fire ironically... I thought that's why their idea of .52 CD on the AC2 didn't fix it's ghost heat issue.

Read this...
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2726475

Everyone assumed that PGI is stupid rather than examining things like facts. When the CD was moved to 0.52 and people still had issues with Ghost Heat everyone jumped to the actual stupid conclusion that PGI couldn't do simple math. Not surprising really since a rather large number of people assume PGI is stupid rather than considering things like cold hard facts and business decisions that need to be made based on what is possible now rather than what is desirable later.

I jumped off the PGI is stupid bandwagon after I studied the AC2 Cool Down/Fast Fire thing and wrote the above post.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostscJazz, on 20 September 2013 - 04:54 AM, said:

For me it's a hated skill. But I wouldn't call it useless. Unfortunately even with the increased cooldown on AC/2s, any mech using fast fire and chain fire can still incite the chainfired AC/2 penalty bug. Smurfy lists every weapon as firing slightly faster.

Is it useless on specific weapons? If so, which?

#11 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

View PostKoniving, on 20 September 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

For me it's a hated skill. But I wouldn't call it useless. Unfortunately even with the increased cooldown on AC/2s, any mech using fast fire and chain fire can still incite the chainfired AC/2 penalty bug. Smurfy lists every weapon as firing slightly faster.

Is it useless on specific weapons? If so, which?

It is useless in the sense that like Pin Point it does... nothing. Read my post.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:04 AM

View PostscJazz, on 20 September 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

It is useless in the sense that like Pin Point it does... nothing. Read my post.

Interesting. I know the penalty only affects triple AC/2s for me (despite the limit being 4) when fired at the same time (but one of them always seems to lag behind for unknown some reason).

My only real testing of fast fire has been with the UAC/5. I suppose I'll have to retry that test to see if it's totally been dropped.

#13 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostscJazz, on 20 September 2013 - 05:32 AM, said:

Read it... I already did the test :) Besides it is one of my cogent and lucid posts and it is a good read :)

#14 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostscJazz, on 20 September 2013 - 05:32 AM, said:

Read this...
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2726475

Everyone assumed that PGI is stupid rather than examining things like facts. When the CD was moved to 0.52 and people still had issues with Ghost Heat everyone jumped to the actual stupid conclusion that PGI couldn't do simple math. Not surprising really since a rather large number of people assume PGI is stupid rather than considering things like cold hard facts and business decisions that need to be made based on what is possible now rather than what is desirable later.

I jumped off the PGI is stupid bandwagon after I studied the AC2 Cool Down/Fast Fire thing and wrote the above post.

Well it's nice that you have shown the .52 isn't an awful thing if we assume PGI knew their skill didn't work. Which again, is great, except for the patch where they said it used to slow down fire but now was working as intended, which I may be mis-remembering and maybe they said it used to slow you down and now it does nothing? I think that would have stood out in my memory more, but we're none of us perfect.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

View PostscJazz, on 20 September 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

Read it... I already did the test :) Besides it is one of my cogent and lucid posts and it is a good read :)

You tested PPCs. (Least that's all you showed the example of). But having tested it on the UAC/5 just now, it seems all I'm doing is when firing at 1.43 is I'm firing a double-tap, leaving the cooldown timer to not even run during the next 1.43 cycle. Sadly I can't afford the 1/10th delay for the macro.

Seems it's fast-fire is now dead too. It'd be a pretty valid belief that perhaps they deliberately shut down fast fire because of this because it did work at one point. (Then again, so did convergence at one point before they made convergence instant).

Edited by Koniving, 20 September 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#16 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

View PostAym, on 20 September 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

Well it's nice that you have shown the .52 isn't an awful thing if we assume PGI knew their skill didn't work.

View PostscJazz, on 05 September 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

That is three specific data points. The Aug 20 patch notes, Daemur's spreadsheet, and a specific reply.

There are very few conclusions that can be drawn from the above and some fly in the face of logic.

1 ) Despite all the threads, posts, patch changes to a discrete value (0.52 sec), Daemur's Spread Sheet, and his reply; PGI/Daemur doesn't know what they/he are doing. VERY VERY UNLIKELY!!!

We have to assume that PGI knew the skill doesn't work i.e. not stupid. On what other planet, despite hundreds of posts, replies, specific changes to a discrete value, does it become logical to assume that they didn't know and were being stupid?

OK they didn't tell us about it. I'll give you that one. My best guess is that the change was made during a netcode/server optimization. Since the only people who would have possibly noticed were AC2 users at the time and even they weren't likely to notice since the change is 0.0125 seconds. No one else was Macroing to such fine tolerances. No one would ever macro PPCs to fire in such a way. Anything else could just be seen as latency.

View PostKoniving, on 20 September 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

You tested PPCs. (Least that's all you showed the example of). But having tested it on the UAC/5 just now, it seems all I'm doing is when firing at 1.43 is I'm firing a double-tap, leaving the cooldown timer to not even run during the next 1.43 cycle. Sadly I can't afford the 1/10th delay for the macro.

yeah that 1/10th sec padding is why I used the PPC to test. Slowest firing weapon with obvious effect... bang... that I could test since I didn't have boat capable of FFing an LRM20.

#17 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

O.o......

scJazz.... Koniving... If I ever... EVER start up a videogaming company.... (rather unlikely as that may be ;))

...Can I hire you two? :ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users