5 replies to this topic

#1 Voidsinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:40 AM

I was just having a read through the Uniform Code of Mechwarrior Justice. http://mwomercs.com/...arrior-justice/

Specifically the Ghosting provisions reproduced below:

Ghosting
Any MechWarrior who willfully or repeatedly-
  • Provides intelligence to the enemy, including location, loadout, or status of team-mates
Is guilty of Aiding the Enemy Team and shall be moderated.

Under this, I can see no way in which livestreaming cannot be deemed as both willful and repeated. Given many Twitch TV streams are anounced, or the streamers well known, then anybody on an enemy team in a game with these streamers knows they can obtain information on the opposition through watching the stream.

So, the only way not to violate the UCMJ is to delay by 15 minutes (maximum match length).

If they create an exemption for Streamers, then the provision is rendered meaningless.

War correspondents have always quite reasonably been limited in their ability to broadcast live from tactical situations. In this case, the streamers are active participants in the conflict.

Your thoughts on this matter?

#2 StainlessSR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSunShine State

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:45 AM

This is something that needs to be addressed by Dev's.

In my opinion streams should be delayed at least by a few min, there are correspondents that have their story held till the operation is complete, this is just the same thing.

#3 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:01 AM

Not that I give a damn either way, (I neither watch streams, nor participate in them,) but does this really matter?

This is just a boredom troll, right?

#4 Voidsinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 20 September 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

Not that I give a damn either way, (I neither watch streams, nor participate in them,) but does this really matter?

This is just a boredom troll, right?

No, it was just a glaringly obvious hole.

Much of the UCMJ (except the cheating rules), deals with impulse behaviour which may be insulting to the target. This one makes a very preplanned behaviour (livestreaming), currently occuring, an offence.

So, what is required is clarrification of whether an exempted class exists (Streamers), which makes it selective prosecution (danger), or whether delays on match broadcasts are required.

#5 NuclearPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

I frequently stream this game on Twitch for our gaming website, and since I PUGdrop about 90% of the time I don't really know how I feel about this.

Once Community Warfare rolls out (if ever), and if I was in a Lance or Clan, I would NOT be streaming those matches live to avoid counterintelligence.

*shrugs*

#6 Sasha Volkova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 449 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:33 AM

View PostVoidsinger, on 20 September 2013 - 02:40 AM, said:

I was just having a read through the Uniform Code of Mechwarrior Justice. http://mwomercs.com/...arrior-justice/

Specifically the Ghosting provisions reproduced below:

Ghosting
Any MechWarrior who willfully or repeatedly-
  • Provides intelligence to the enemy, including location, loadout, or status of team-mates
Is guilty of Aiding the Enemy Team and shall be moderated.

Under this, I can see no way in which livestreaming cannot be deemed as both willful and repeated. Given many Twitch TV streams are anounced, or the streamers well known, then anybody on an enemy team in a game with these streamers knows they can obtain information on the opposition through watching the stream.

So, the only way not to violate the UCMJ is to delay by 15 minutes (maximum match length).

If they create an exemption for Streamers, then the provision is rendered meaningless.

War correspondents have always quite reasonably been limited in their ability to broadcast live from tactical situations. In this case, the streamers are active participants in the conflict.

Your thoughts on this matter?

Easy fix is to slap on a delay - say 5 minutes of delay on your stream.
It should fix any and all ghosting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users