#2 Caswallon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 540 posts
  • LocationArboris

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:20 AM

Put your AMS ammo in the head firstly.

How will you be playing it. As alight pilot that LOVES to find stalker missile boats alone this one would cause me some trouble due to the higher than average back armour...

But on the other hand the lack of side torso armour + XL might make you vulnerable to counter battery fire from other missile boats??

But seems OK to me thus far.

edit spell check

Edited by Caswallon, 20 September 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#3 ArkNemesis

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

Hi,

Good build but you don't have enough ammo for me.
You can discuss build (and see lots of them) on mechspecs.com.

http://www.mechspecs...hp?topic=1577.0
In this thread, there is almost the same build with more ammo.

See you on battlefield (I love hunting LRM boats :))

#4 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:42 AM

STK-3H More Better

1 ) Beagle added so that you can actually target out to 1000m

2 ) XL Engine dropped because XL + Stalker = Die in a Fire

3 ) LRM20 changed to LRM15 because LRM20s suck. Hot, heavy, slow cool down, gigantic spread

4 ) Removed some Heat Sinks because you are almost never going to be firing LRMs and Lasers at the same time.

5 ) Endo Steel added

6 ) Case added and ammo moved

7 ) TAG moved to right arm not left because most right handed people will break cover to right. This way your TAG isn't hitting a rock.

8 ) AMS Ammo moved to head

9 ) Ammo crit padded in right side along with lots of stuff

10 ) Armor redistributed to Front because you'll spend more time facing that way for your missile lock and flight time

11 ) Medium Lasers to Medium Pulse Lasers

I am a Master Lurmer capable of doing this...
Posted Image

With this...
CPLT-A1 SmartCat

#5 Caswallon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 540 posts
  • LocationArboris

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

scJazz can I steal this build!

I have a handful of heavies and Meds (No Assaults until Battlemaster!) When I eventually get around to buying another Cat to go with my C4 this looks a fun way to go!

OP Awesome advice here, especially the lose the XL that made your original build quite vulnerable to Lt Backstabs even with the enhance rear armour you gave it.. :)

#6 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

View PostCaswallon, on 20 September 2013 - 04:25 AM, said:

scJazz can I steal this build!

Go ahead :) I stole it from someone else... it has been passed down through the ages :blink:

EDIT: Technically it is supposed to have an XL255 Engine btw. Same weight. But since I stole the XL250 from a Trebuchet TBT-7M I wasn't really in the mood to buy a whole new XL255.

Edited by scJazz, 20 September 2013 - 04:53 AM.

#7 The Nerd

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Pa

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

would you req. i drop the STK and go CPL? I do have alot of xp stocked up on my STK (i spent my initial 10mil i farmed on my trial to buy it) since I brought that, I bought 3 SDR's and im finishing out my Elite cluster on the last mech now to unlock master. then I want to get back to my Missile boat. Right now I have 10mil in the bank, Ill get 2 mil for selling my STK. thats enough to buy 2 CPLs (and if you think the CPL is the stronger mech, wich one or two would you rwq i start with)

#8 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

Don't sell the Stalker... it is a superb mech. Do buy some MC and get extra mech bays... seriously do it. I'm totally frickin broke and I found $15 you can too :)

I'm totally biased in favor of Catapults. First because I am a Lurmer and second because I despise Assaults. Which means I really hate Stalkers boating LRMs. They make me very mad because they are doing it wrong. This makes me want to kill them for sucking. A point I've made countless times :blink:

Why Catapult? Simple really... Jump Jets... which means that annoying light mech can't play circle jerk because you can jump turn faster than he can circle. It also spreads damage vertically and screws up his aim. The JJ mean you can also do evil stuff like snap fire your LRMs at a target on the other side of Theta on Tourmaline wait a few seconds... jump up, reacquire your lock and blam!

Lots of people think of LRMs as some kind of artillery. They stick lots of them on a Stalker/Assault. They start a match... move as short a distance as possible. Stop and start spamming LRMs everywhere. LRMs are not artillery! Lurmers are the Grenadier in an Infantry Rifle Squad. He is the guy right behind the Riflemen increasing their firepower by shooting what they shoot, suppressing enemy positions, and causing panic.

#9 The Nerd

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Pa

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

So you think I should stick with the STK and start buying others to up skills to Elite and Master, STK now that I have one seem very limited because of their speed being so slow... and dont seem like they would make a good brawler type either... so i guess now that I have my STK missile boat.... i just dont know where to go now (and yeah I have a fair amount of bays already), dropped 30 bucks so far, got some bays and 1 month of premium game time and have 2100 MC to play with yet, and ill get $15 more in a couple weeks.

#10 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

I'm kind of the wrong person to ask :)

1 ) I hate Assaults... seriously despise piloting them!

2 ) Stalkers don't have Jump Jets... I only pilot Jump Capable mechs.

If I remove myself from this personal bias the answer becomes quite clear. The Stalker is a BEAST! Easily the best Assault mech available. So... yeah... you should probably stick with the Stalker and just hope you never boat LRMs with it during a Match that I am also in :)

#11 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

If you want to try another Stalker, I'm having lots of fun with this lrm build. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8356704d9c2061c Chain fire your lrms and have fun. Here's a screen shot of my highest damage/kills with this mech. http://img203.images...3/1323/wqxh.jpg

#12 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostscJazz, on 20 September 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

STK-3H More Better

1 ) Beagle added so that you can actually target out to 1000m

2 ) XL Engine dropped because XL + Stalker = Die in a Fire

3 ) LRM20 changed to LRM15 because LRM20s suck. Hot, heavy, slow cool down, gigantic spread

4 ) Removed some Heat Sinks because you are almost never going to be firing LRMs and Lasers at the same time.

5 ) Endo Steel added

6 ) Case added and ammo moved

7 ) TAG moved to right arm not left because most right handed people will break cover to right. This way your TAG isn't hitting a rock.

8 ) AMS Ammo moved to head

9 ) Ammo crit padded in right side along with lots of stuff

10 ) Armor redistributed to Front because you'll spend more time facing that way for your missile lock and flight time

11 ) Medium Lasers to Medium Pulse Lasers

I am a Master Lurmer capable of doing this...
Posted Image

With this...
CPLT-A1 SmartCat

What he said, even though you generally shouldn't trust anything someone from Liao says. Only trust Steiner.

Because reasons.

#13 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

Op, directly responding to your initial build:
- LRM/5 has a quicker reload time then the lrm20s
Personally, when using a pair of lrm20s, I like to include a single lrm5. The lrm5 I use as a device to spot potential targets over terrain by way of looking for their ams to go off. I also use it to give enemies the incoming missle warning and make them move from their current position. It helpconserve ammo for when its needed most.
A second lrm5 launcher is not enough reward for the cost in tonnage. Instead I would upgrade a mdl to a large laser. This allows me to deal damage vrs ridge humpers before they back down and into cover from my lrm5 missles.

-tag, glad to see you have it. With the lasers and tag, the stalker can deliver great centralized damage on a target at 200m to 300m range.

As for other stalkers. Running a standard engine and upgrading to dhs, any of them are good when played to their strengths. They are built to continuously lay down damage while approaching a target.

Edited by Dracol, 20 September 2013 - 09:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users