Mech commander / MW2 mercenaries

18 replies to this topic

#1 Alabamatick

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

Has anybody got these 2 games (in title) working on vista 64bit i've read someware it can be done and some suggestions how, but i can't get them going ;)

Edited by Alabamatick, 14 June 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#2 WardenWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

I have Mech Commander working in Win 7 64-bit - so should be very similar to Vista 64-bit. You can't use the installer, though: just copy the entire contents of the CD over to C:\Program Files (x86)\MicroProse\MCX (for Mech Commander Gold; not sure if a different folder is needed for vanilla Mech Commander). Once there, run the MCX.exe file (again, file may be different for vanilla Mech Commander) with admin privileged and with the CD in the drive and it should work.

#3 Nikoliy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 245 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

here you go dude
http://www.dosbox.co...D=2587&letter=M

#4 Cyrian

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

I play MechCommander and MechCommander 2 on Windows 7 Home 64bit OS without issue. I've not attempted Mercs, but I have played MW2 running in Win95 compatibility mode.

#5 Lt muffins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostAlabamatick, on 14 June 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

Has anybody got these 2 games (in title) working on vista 64bit i've read someware it can be done and some suggestions how, but i can't get them going ;)

here my friend MECHVM works for mechwarrior 2 and its expansions

It is recommended that you use titanium edition for stability reasons, but you can play it with any of them.

Edit: adding instructions (these are more a road map, you will need to fill in the fine details yourself)

the file is a RAR file so you need to extract it, you will then have a folder called "MechVM-win32-2011-04-04c" at the extraction site (it is a 32bit program but it will work on a 64bit operating system)

open the file called "mechVM"

you will notice that there is 4 options choose "install+import" you now have the option to install from a disk drive or install a CD image. I trust you can follow through without further instruction on installation.

you can now go to the "play game" option and select your installed MW2 game (different versions have different names) click the one you want to play and hit "start campaign"

Edited by Lt muffins, 14 June 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#6 Destructo

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

yep. first.. mw2 --- i installed dosbox, and simply downloaded the torrent for mw2 titanium (i own it but the disk is heavilly damaged,, and now sits in its box looking epic) installed mw2 to its native directory, and simply ran it in dosbox. (dosbox is a dos emulator for non dos based sytems ,, win vista/7 i am using 7 64 ultimate,, dosbox comes with instructions)
mc/mc2- i installed windows xp on a virtual machine i believe it was vmware as it was about a year ago. then simply popped in the disk and installed it. also. recently i had mc2 running on windows 7 in "xpmode" available from microsoft, although it was glitchy, id suggest using the virtual machine. heck, if u even wanna go there, you can run mech1 on dosbox lol

#7 Mechxican JAKE

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Go to http://mechvm.org/ then click the download link " MechVM Win32 Executable 2011-04-04c (2.6MB) "
  • Open MechVM
  • Go to Install+Import
  • It should detect the version, so just click the button with the name of your version.
  • After it is installed you can either run it through the Play button or go to the games folder in the mechvm folder and you can find the game installed.
thats how I was able to play all my Mech2 games I hope it works. More info here: http://www.mech2.org...c.php?f=7&t=806

#8 Mechxican JAKE

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

View PostMechxican JAKE, on 14 June 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

Go to http://mechvm.org/ then click the download link " MechVM Win32 Executable 2011-04-04c (2.6MB) "
  • Open MechVM
  • Go to Install+Import
  • It should detect the version, so just click the button with the name of your version.
  • After it is installed you can either run it through the Play button or go to the games folder in the mechvm folder and you can find the game installed.
thats how I was able to play all my Mech2 games I hope it works. More info here: http://www.mech2.org...c.php?f=7&t=806

I have the DOS versions and Titanium versions both working perfectly on MechVM

#9 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostAlabamatick, on 14 June 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

DO NOT USE MECHVM. IT WILL NOT PROPERLY INSTALL ON VISTA. COMPATIBILITY MODE WILL NOT WORK EITHER

Here i'll give you the step by step of how I did it.

1st, download DOSBox, which Nikoliy linked you. Install it to your desktop or C: drive. Don't install it in your download or program files.

2. Next, insert Mechwarrior 2: Mercs cd into your CD-Rom drive.

3. You need to burn an image of the cd. I recommend MagicISO. When you burn this image, you want to burn a .cue file. Not sure if a .img image will work or not. To play it safe, burn a .cue image.

4. Open Dosbox. You will be prompted to a Z:>. Here you type this:(DO NOT TYPE THE BOLD)

Z:\>mount c C:\(pathway to the Dosbox program)

Since mine is installed in my C:, I enter the following

Z:\>mount c C:\DOSBox-0.74

5. Next you need to mount the image file of Mercs. To do so you type the following:

Z:\>imgmount d "C:\(pathway to image file)" -t iso

Since mine is installed in my documents, I type this

Z:\>imgmount d "C:\Users\Bryce\Documents\Mercs2.cue" -t iso

6. Now you need to install the game in Dos mode. You cannot install the windows version. To do this, you first change your directory and install from the CD image. Change to the D drive (where you mounted the image), and change directory to 'dos', then type install.

Example:

Z:\> D:
D:\> cd dos
D:\DOS>install

Follow the installation instructions from there.

You will have to mount the cd image every time, since it replaces the cd itself. To play, you will load from the C: however. To load, type the following

Z:\> C:
C:\> cd MERCS
C:\MERCS> MERCS

And your done!

View PostLt muffins, on 14 June 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

here my friend MECHVM works for mechwarrior 2 and its expansions

It is recommended that you use titanium edition for stability reasons, but you can play it with any of them.

Edit: adding instructions (these are more a road map, you will need to fill in the fine details yourself)

the file is a RAR file so you need to extract it, you will then have a folder called "MechVM-win32-2011-04-04c" at the extraction site (it is a 32bit program but it will work on a 64bit operating system)

open the file called "mechVM"

you will notice that there is 4 options choose "install+import" you now have the option to install from a disk drive or install a CD image. I trust you can follow through without further instruction on installation.

you can now go to the "play game" option and select your installed MW2 game (different versions have different names) click the one you want to play and hit "start campaign"

View PostMechxican JAKE, on 14 June 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

• Open MechVM
  • Go to Install+Import

MECHVM WILL NOT WORK ON VISTA. The above method is the only surefire method to get MERCS to play on Vista. This is cited by the website www.mech2.org

Edited by Hawkeye 72, 14 June 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#10 Mechxican JAKE

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostHawkeye 72, on 14 June 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

DO NOT USE MECHVM. IT WILL NOT PROPERLY INSTALL ON VISTA. COMPATIBILITY MODE WILL NOT WORK EITHER

Here i'll give you the step by step of how I did it.

1st, download DOSBox, which Nikoliy linked you. Install it to your desktop or C: drive. Don't install it in your download or program files.

2. Next, insert Mechwarrior 2: Mercs cd into your CD-Rom drive.

3. You need to burn an image of the cd. I recommend MagicISO. When you burn this image, you want to burn a .cue file. Not sure if a .img image will work or not. To play it safe, burn a .cue image.

4. Open Dosbox. You will be prompted to a Z:>. Here you type this:(DO NOT TYPE THE BOLD)

5. Next you need to mount the image file of Mercs. To do so you type the following:

6. Now you need to install the game in Dos mode. You cannot install the windows version. To do this, you first change your directory and install from the CD image. Change to the D drive (where you mounted the image), and change directory to 'dos', then type install.

Example:

You will have to mount the cd image every time, since it replaces the cd itself. To play, you will load from the C: however. To load, type the following

And your done!

MECHVM WILL NOT WORK ON VISTA. The above method is the only surefire method to get MERCS to play on Vista. This is cited by the website www.mech2.org

Im looking at my laptop right now, yep its still a Vista, everything continues to work flawlessly despite what the website said

#11 Lt muffins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostHawkeye 72, on 14 June 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Ah I kinda assumed that if it worked on win7 it would work on vista

Edited by Lt muffins, 14 June 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#12 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostMechxican JAKE, on 14 June 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Im looking at my laptop right now, yep its still a Vista, everything continues to work flawlessly despite what the website said

Well then go make a post on mech2.org because this is what they say

"Question: I have Vista will this work?
Answer: Yes! There is no other reliable method to get Mech2 to run in Vista."

LINK

If you have the titanium version it might work with mechVM
but I failed on every attempt

Edited by Hawkeye 72, 14 June 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#13 mikeyevelli

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

i just downloaded mechwarrior: mercenaries from mektek.com

#14 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

http://www.hard-ligh...php?board=210.0

Try this version of mech commander it will run on vista and windows 64 bit,

#15 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

View Postmikeyevelli, on 14 June 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

i just downloaded mechwarrior: mercenaries from mektek.com

That is Mercenaries 4. He wants Mercenaries 2

#16 CW Grayson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

I run Win7 and have both games running. As people said, MW2 mercs runs under dosbox, people here already said how.
For Mechcommander, i don't have any probs running this under Win7, if you have any, maybe tell axactly what is wrong.

#17 Alabamatick

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

firstly sorry for the INCORRECT topic title, i actually meant the freely downloadable mech commander GOLD

I tried using daemon tools lite to make a virtual drive this didn't work cant remember why (it was a couple of months ago) i read somewhere somebody said they extracted the contents of the iso installed it and run from mcx.exe, this didn't work either, i then tried to burn the image to a cd but got an error just before it finished and ruined the cd so i gave up ;) i'll try again tomorrow

as for mw2 mercs i have tried dosbox and know how to use it, when i start it i get the message mechwarrior mercanaries cd not found, it does start from mw2shell and works untill i click launch mission from the dropship mission control screen then it drops back to the mercs command line.

also what is and how do you create and use a cue file

Edited by Alabamatick, 15 June 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#18 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

View PostAlabamatick, on 15 June 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

as for mw2 mercs i have tried dosbox and know how to use it, when i start it i get the message mechwarrior mercanaries cd not found, it does start from mw2shell and works untill i click launch mission from the dropship mission control screen then it drops back to the mercs command line.

also what is and how do you create and use a cue file

This is usually the problem people run into. Mercenaries, even when installed, must still read from the cd.

A .cue file is what you make when making an image of the cd. This is essentially a file that copies all the cd's contents from it and stores it in a file on your computer. The mw2shell will run like normal except when you do drop into the mission, because your computer doesn't have the TOOLS file on the mercs cd to create the mission.

I will repost what I typed before. If this isn't clear enough I will load up a few screenshots of what to do.

You need to burn an image of the cd. I recommend MagicISO. When you burn this image, you want to burn a .cue file. Not sure if a .img image will work or not. To play it safe, burn a .cue image. To do this, insert your mercs cd. After open my computer, and right click on your D drive. MagicISO should prompt you with an option to burn the image. Click on it and MagicISO will open. It should automatically open a window with the burn options. Select the path for your image file, then change the output format to a .bin/.cue file. This will be the third option on the window. Select make CD image, and hit OK. It will burn the cd to file.

Open Dosbox. You will be prompted to a Z:>. Here you type this:(DO NOT TYPE THE BOLD)

Example:

#19 Alabamatick

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

View PostHawkeye 72, on 15 June 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

This is usually the problem people run into. Mercenaries, even when installed, must still read from the cd.

A .cue file is what you make when making an image of the cd. This is essentially a file that copies all the cd's contents from it and stores it in a file on your computer. The mw2shell will run like normal except when you do drop into the mission, because your computer doesn't have the TOOLS file on the mercs cd to create the mission.

I will repost what I typed before. If this isn't clear enough I will load up a few screenshots of what to do.

You need to burn an image of the cd. I recommend MagicISO. When you burn this image, you want to burn a .cue file. Not sure if a .img image will work or not. To play it safe, burn a .cue image. To do this, insert your mercs cd. After open my computer, and right click on your D drive. MagicISO should prompt you with an option to burn the image. Click on it and MagicISO will open. It should automatically open a window with the burn options. Select the path for your image file, then change the output format to a .bin/.cue file. This will be the third option on the window. Select make CD image, and hit OK. It will burn the cd to file.

Open Dosbox. You will be prompted to a Z:>. Here you type this:(DO NOT TYPE THE BOLD)

Example:

thx 4 that, with 1 change it worked fine (i had to put the image in a seperate folder just in the c drive (not documents)), its strange though that tie fighter cd works fine just by mounting a d drive with no faffing, (as in mount d d:\ -t cdrom), ( you don't need an image) ;)

as 4 mech commander gold, i tried magic disc, the launcher worked but when trying to install it says this is a 32 bit application and not commpatible with 64 bit systems, on other forums i've read people have got it working on 64 bit but not how, any ideas ? :(

EDIT: i found how to do mech commander gold on another forum, extract all the files from the iso to a seperate folder, name it MCG (or whatever you like) then double click MCX.EXE, no installation required :(

EPIC

Edited by Alabamatick, 19 June 2012 - 03:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users