Tech crew skills? Should they be implemented?

5 replies to this topic

Poll: Tech crew skills? Should they be implemented? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Tech crew skills? Should they be implemented?

1. Yes (22 votes [81.48%])

Percentage of vote: 81.48%

2. No (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:37 AM

In the novels, each MechWarrior has his own personal Tech crew to fit, repair and tweak his 'Mech. Much like the squire of a knight in middle-ages.

It would be nice if a MechWarrior could hire a Tech crew, which would gain skills with time (or could be skilled already depending on their price).

The Tech crew skills would affect the repair time and cost of a 'Mech, and could boost the performance of your weapons (mainly accuracy) as well as armor resistance to critical shots and such (better quality welds and patching of armor for example).

Your thoughts?

#2 Kronice

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:43 AM

I totally agree with you here Tweaks

View PostKronice, on 11 November 2011 - 06:29 AM, said:

Something that really appeals to me is the notion of your pilot and mech(s) can be developed and customized separately. This would allow for a much richer experience thus allowing for more options with regards to personal gameplay style and preferences. For example:

Your pilot could have skill set (or tree if you will) that can vary with the player's preferences and can be improved based on a specialization that interests them. for example:

-Main Specializations (For Pilots)
--Piloting
--Armorer
--Missile systems
--Laser Systems
--Fire control (target acquisition and guidance)
--Cooling Systems
--Recon
--Electronic Countermeasures
--Salvage
--Stealth tech maybe??

Each of these specs would be used as "tradeskills" to make improvements to mechs either their own or in trade with other players. Yes I am talking about a sort of tradeskilling here.

Just a thought.

#3 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

I would say "Yes". I don't really mind of repairs are automatic, but CUSTOMIZATION should for sure come with high risk and a high cost. Strategic Operations' section on Mech Customization rolls, as well as the one previously released in Battletech Master Rules (Even going as far back as I can remember to Mechwarrior 2nd edition RPG in 1991), got the idea of customizing a 'mech having additional risks down right. While ignoring the rules for customization in a pickup game are fine, granted that both players agree that customized 'mechs will be allowed, in any sort of campaign, I *strongly* advocate the use of customization risks. Likewise, that will apply here in MWO, as well

As for the pricing of different tech crews, there's got to be a way to price them so that taking anything more than a regular crew is expensive to a player and makes them question whether they can justify paying for anything more than that. Likewise, if the Tech crews can improve their skills over time, there also has to be some chance that you can lose your tech crew.

#4 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

View Postice trey, on 11 November 2011 - 09:17 AM, said:

I would say "Yes". I don't really mind of repairs are automatic, but CUSTOMIZATION should for sure come with high risk and a high cost. Strategic Operations' section on Mech Customization rolls, as well as the one previously released in Battletech Master Rules (Even going as far back as I can remember to Mechwarrior 2nd edition RPG in 1991), got the idea of customizing a 'mech having additional risks down right. While ignoring the rules for customization in a pickup game are fine, granted that both players agree that customized 'mechs will be allowed, in any sort of campaign, I *strongly* advocate the use of customization risks. Likewise, that will apply here in MWO, as well

As for the pricing of different tech crews, there's got to be a way to price them so that taking anything more than a regular crew is expensive to a player and makes them question whether they can justify paying for anything more than that. Likewise, if the Tech crews can improve their skills over time, there also has to be some chance that you can lose your tech crew.

Don't confuse optimization and tweaking with customization. A mechanic (or Tech in BattleTech) is doing manual work. Manual work is subject to human error and skill. The same gun can be installed by two different Techs of different skill level and one will be more accurate because the suspension and mount of the gun is better adjusted for example. Or a Tech would be better than another at making strong welds which means his repairs would be more effective and durable than the next Tech's.

I'm not suggesting Techs should be there to customize guns (i.e. modify its design) or install rigs and such.

Edited by Tweaks, 11 November 2011 - 05:09 PM.

#5 Rhinehart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

I would love to see tech crews with differing and/or evolving skills available, just because it could add to the environment of the game. An IS player might need good coin to hire the right crew. Or perhaps a favor done under the table might result in some extra tech help. A Clan mechwarrior might need high prestige or even a successful trial of posession to get the tech he needs. He might bid away a single choice assignment to acquire the services of a good tech, knowing that better performance in the long run can lead to more victories down the road.

#6 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

Perhaps one would start out with a crew of 3 and with time more could be added to effect repairs or whatever more quickly and efficiently. Then when your crew is Full you could hire a Crew Chief to better yet manage the crew and your stuff.

The possibilities are unlimited like pretty much everything else that could be in game. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users