Questions About The Orion.

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Orion can do what job? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Orion(s) can play Brawler well?

1. ON1-K (7 votes [36.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

2. ON1-M (2 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

3. ON1-V (2 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

4. ON1-VA (8 votes [42.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

Which Orion(s) can play Sniper well?

1. ON1-K (4 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. ON1-M (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. ON1-V (8 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. ON1-VA (6 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

Which Orion(s) can serve in a Universal role well?

1. ON1-K (7 votes [41.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

2. ON1-M (2 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

3. ON1-V (3 votes [17.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

4. ON1-VA (5 votes [29.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Alek Ituin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

I would like to get more informed on the Orion line before I make a purchase, specifically how the community feels they are best utilized. So, please vote even if you don't comment, just to help both me and anyone else who reads this thread.

#2 Alek Ituin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

Nobody is voting. Seriously.

Is it so difficult to click some buttons and give your opinion on the Orion chassis? Apparently so. :)

#3 RavensScar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

The C Bill variants have been out for less than a week. Most people will only have one of the variants, and certainly won't have it mastered. I know I've been trying a different loadout every few matches on the K and still haven't fully got to grips with it, so it might be a while before you get any firm answers.

I can tell you that the K doesn't snipe very well. Your hardpoints are too low.

Brawling is what I'm aiming for, but at the moment I'm finding it quite slow and quite vulnerable. However, I expect this to change somewhat once I Elite it (speed tweak and double basics.)

Also, you might want to wait more than 1 hour between starting the topic and getting annoyed.

#4 Thejuggla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

I own 3 variants so far. I'd say the VA is probably best brawler, 4 srm 6, ballistic and medium lasers, it is helpful having srms on the arms for elevated battles.

The other two would probably go to the protector. I think the torso energy is slightly higher than the arms which is the only trait I can think of that makes it a slightly better sniper than rest.

I also think the protector takes the universal role, two ballistics three energy and two missiles is a decent hard point layout allowing a lot.

#5 Drummond109

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

I have the Protector, K and VA variants. Right now they are all similar builds 2xAC5 or AC10 or LBX10, 2xSRM6, 2xML with a few variations or extras. I have been using XL engines and don't die often from side torso. With the 350 or 360, its speed is decent for its size and I use it to strike from the fringes, moving around often in a match. It does not do well standing in place as it is a big target and can't take a pounding. I find it works best to hit stragglers or beat up mechs to finish them off. I even chased down a LRM boat that sat way behind enemy lines and took it out. If you're with a group, let them go in first to be targeted and them move around to the sides and add in your firepower.

Just don't be the first guy in - the Orion is not the mech for that.

#6 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

All of them brawl well, none of them are ideal for sniping.

I play mine like a mini atlas. AC20, and as many Mlas and SRM racks as I can get on them.

They can take ranged weaponry and snipe decent enough, but the low slung arms and no JJ's means you will be exposing yourself to deal maximum damage.

In this regard, the M is the best for sniping. You can put 2 PPC's and a gauss on the right side of the mech and then side strafe a hill so you don't overexpose yourself.

Edited by Roughneck45, 20 September 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#7 Zoccola

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

The Protector and the V are goodish at sniping. They can fit 2 AC2 and some larges, maybe PPCs. Probably best at the 500-800m range.

They are all good at brawling, but the particular stand outs are M, V and VA. Best under 300.

I think the K will be the best at the 300-500m range. You can load up an AC10 and lots of lasers.

I am running 2 Orions, the M and the VA, both armed very similarly.
My Cheney ON1-VA
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2654012cf9f22cc

ON1-M
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...26be9b3d7d35dc4

They are super ambush mechs. Imagine if a Hunchback and an Atlas made some sweet loving and had a baby. The Orion is what you get. Fast, very heavily armed. Its an assault killer. Strip that armor and go crit hunting.

I tried to get a dual LB10x build into the ON1-V, but I end up short on either ammo or armor.

#8 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0a160525287aead

There's what I did with the ON1-V

Seems to work pretty well. Not perfect, probably a little light on the weapons, but serviceable fun.

Am considering an XL engine in light of some other builds, and dropping the Ferro armor upgrade...

Edited by Why Run, 23 September 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#9 LCRacerX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

While the Orion's mix of hardpoints lend itself to brawling, it is not a great brawler in execution. Just mediocre.

The main reasons are because you have a sky-scraper of a mech w/ a matching CT. The RT/LT are fairly easy to target for pin-point damage, too, making Orions worse than Catapults for survival.

It's best to sit back, near but away from the furball & engage. And whatever you do, don't be the first one over a hill or through a valley. You'll be cored pretty quick.

As far as sniper, again, looking at it on paper you'd think it would be a good. It's just O.K. The hardpoints for the direct fire weapons are very low on the mech, especially the arms. Which means you have to unmask a large portion of your CT & both RT/LT before you can engage a target. While you're unmasking, all of those JGR's & STK's are shooting you.

The only real advantage you have is that the arms sit fairly far from the body, so you can shoot around a corner with one arm easier than in other mechs.

For each of these rolls you can find a better mech. I'm only a little bitter about this as I have been amped for awhile to get a 75-tonner (especially the Orion!), only to find out that the Cataphract is better in every roll.

Edited by LCRacerX, 23 September 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#10 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

I havn't bought one yet, because I took a look at the hardpoints and basically said "That's a crappy victor with no JJ." Since I already have my Victors, I didn't see any point in buying it. Since it's tied to roughly the same number of the same weapons, the lack of JJ alone makes it inferior.

The Orion does get a ton of missile tubes though, so there's the possibility of making it a missile lobber with some strong backup weapons (LBX 10, lplas, etc). It also gets energy hardpoints in the arms, which could make it a great spider squasher when combined with streaks.

#11 Otto Cannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

LRMs. Seriously.

Not only does the XL friendly massive CT push you towards a support role, the Orion gets those ring-shaped launcher arrays on the arms which look great. When you have the chance to make a mech look that good it'd be rude not to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users