Why Do People Keep Saying There Is No Bullet Drop In Mw:o?

31 replies to this topic

#21 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostShadey99, on 22 September 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

PPCs and even lasers actually keep going as well, which is kind of funny in a way, but past their max range they do no damage. The PPC though will still rock you just like ballistic projectiles. I find it totally ironic that the only weapons that will not and cannot exceed their range are missiles.

and yet they are the only ones that didn't get an ammo buff, or notable damage buff to compensate. I get they want the actual skill weapons to be dominant, missiles in support, but they should get SOME love, IMO.

#22 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 September 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

The MW:O Atlas is about 19.5 meters, 20 to the top o it's ariels. (or 18 according to Dennis, so apparently their past scales are off too)

Denis has the correct size. Who ever is saying it is 19.5m or 20 is wrong.

Measure it yourself.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 22 September 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

Denis has the correct size. Who ever is saying it is 19.5m or 20 is wrong.

Measure it yourself.

the 19.5 was from one of the "export artists" who compared the Atlas model to the stated height of the Jenner. If it's incorrect, it's incorrect, as i believe I noted. Regardless, it's still about 25-30% taller than the canon TT design.

#24 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

It's 17.5m to the top of the head, 18m including the antenna, I'd link to the post where I show it measured in CE3 , but well the forum search function is still basically useless, should just call it lucky dip.

#25 Lord Perversor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

I know for sure Bullet drop got nerfed somewhere in closed beta.
I remember needing to aim above a mech head firing from upper to the airport.. and today i can fire at nearly 1000meters without much issue

#26 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

On mech height, I do recall reading somewhere in a novel that the Victor is actually taller than the atlas... Height should not be an indicator of weight.

#27 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

View Postcdlord, on 22 September 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

On mech height, I do recall reading somewhere in a novel that the Victor is actually taller than the atlas... Height should not be an indicator of weight.

well, it is ONE factor. Of course, depth, width and even whats inside all have to be taken into account. I think of the fact you can get two otherwise identical dodge trucks, but one is a chunk heavier because within the same volume, one has a Cummins, the other a small v8.

That said, in miltech, there is some level of general consistency. And compact always is the goal to minimize target signature. The Mechs in this game are generally ludicrously large, and the discrepancy from smallest to biggest, laughable. Compare the Commando to the Atlas and tell me remotely how it's 1/4 the mass, unless the Atlas is hollow, in which case the SLDF designers under Kerensky were idiots.

#28 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostShadey99, on 22 September 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

PPCs and even lasers actually keep going as well, which is kind of funny in a way, but past their max range they do no damage. The PPC though will still rock you just like ballistic projectiles. I find it totally ironic that the only weapons that will not and cannot exceed their range are missiles.

Not sure about PPCs, but lasers most definitely do stop. I've watched impact animations occur at the end of a laser's range in mid air as the owner tried shooting me well past the weapon's maximum range. It's also fun watching missiles detonate in mid air, too. Alpine, more than any other map, does a good job illustrating that people have no idea how weapon ranges work.

#29 Soda Popinsky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

PPCs may be described as man-made lighting, but they certainly don't act like lighting in game. They act more like balls of plasma moving at typical ballistic speeds. Real lighting moves at several thousand miles per second. Since these plasma balls are moving at ballistics speeds, they should really be dropping noticeably at these ranges.

But who knows, maybe in the future, these plasma balls have some sort of anti-gravity effect or "ionic thrust" below to counter-act ballistic drop. Could even be back spin lift (Magnus effect).

#30 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostLord Perversor, on 22 September 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

I remember needing to aim above a mech head firing from upper to the airport.. and today i can fire at nearly 1000meters without much issue

Yes, it did. IIRC it also got more normalized in the process - there was more variety in the drop rates back then too.

View PostEscef, on 22 September 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Not sure about PPCs, but lasers most definitely do stop. I've watched impact animations occur at the end of a laser's range in mid air as the owner tried shooting me well past the weapon's maximum range. It's also fun watching missiles detonate in mid air, too. Alpine, more than any other map, does a good job illustrating that people have no idea how weapon ranges work.

Also true. It's neat to see the lasers stop in front of you, as dumb as it is that they do that. :) Not sure on PPCs either.

#31 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostEscef, on 22 September 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

I actually did some testing of this with lasers and yes they do stop... however it is not at their maximum listed range. A LL for instance has a 'max range' it does damage in of 900m. However on Alpine you can be 'hit' by a normal LL at over 1.6 km (it doesn't however do any damage over 900m). The ER LL has a maximum range of 1350m and can be seen to visible strike targets at over 2 km (Again doing no damage). Even a medium laser beam goes way past it's max 540m range. The easiest to see this with though is the Small laser with it's 180m max range, as you will see it go about 400-500m and then stop.

PPCs and ER PPCs are treated just like ballistic projectiles and don't seem to end until they hit something. It can be funny to actually be hit by a PPC or gauss round that does zero damage on Alpine (best because of it's huge open firing lines).

#32 Soda Popinsky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostLord Perversor, on 22 September 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Probably a side effect of changing the muzzle velocity of several of the auto cannons. Speed of the shot determines bullet drop, as the longer the flight time, the further the drop.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users