Always Stick Together

10 replies to this topic

#1 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:32 AM

It's come to a point where I know whether I will win or lose right after starting the game.

Team runs off in separate directions = lose
Team sticks together = win

Kind of make it really boring to play. Please stick with the team

#2 Joarg

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:56 AM

I am a new player and this tip is ok...but since i lose in 90% of all my games anyway, what is the deal?

#3 Kaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:23 AM

Sticking together doesn't mean so close you shoot each other in the back if an enemy light mech runs through, but stay close enough to be able to back each other up. Key to getting that back-up is the 'R' key. Always have whoever you're fighting targeted with 'R'. This let's your teammates (who maybe don't have line-of-sight on you exactly) know where and what your opponent is. It's also helpful for any of your teammates who've got LRMs, as they can lock missiles on any target you've got designated with 'R' as long as you keep sight of that target.

#4 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:38 AM

sad fact: it seems like everyone knows about this essential rule, but when it comes to PUGing, nobody cares about it.

example for prove: PUG-drop yesterday, map was forest colony snow, when i got some seismic contacts from inside the tunnel... i even told my team in chat, that there are multiple seismics in tunnel, and that they will get into our back if we don't do anything against it. i walked back to the tunnel exit, hoping someone is coming with me... end of story: i got swarmed by 4 lights and ripped apart in 30 seconds. we lost that match 3-12...

#5 IntX

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Inner Sphere

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:51 AM

If by team you mean your lance, I am in total agreement. I do not believe that all three lances have to stick together in order to win. Quite often my lance mates and I will splinter off the main group to flank the enemy. It usually works real well and we contribute to our side winning the match.

#6 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

Read this Post...

http://mwomercs.com/...fracking-atlas/

and the other one Timidity is not a Tactic both by Void Angel. You can find Timidity in Void's Signature.

Do not listen to IntX... that path leads to destruction.

The only mechs that can and should peel off from the main group are Lights... in Conquest Matches. Sometimes Mediums if the Team is so heavy that it has no Lights.

#7 IntX

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Inner Sphere

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

I can see the point made in the specified article in the post above if you PUG alone. And your mileage may vary. I know that when I dropped alone, it didn't matter if my lance "followed the atlases", I usually died and was not as effective for the team. Real time communication and cooperation will keep you alive much better than just following the assaults.

#8 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostJoarg, on 23 September 2013 - 01:56 AM, said:

I am a new player and this tip is ok...but since i lose in 90% of all my games anyway, what is the deal?

If you head off alone, you will almost certainly get rolfstomped by the enemy.

Whereas if you stick with the herd, you stand a better chance of being able to actually help. If you see an enemy mech taking fire, shoot it.

Think of it like this. 4 mechs vs 4 mechs. If everyone shoots a diff. target, you wind up with 4 slightly damaged mechs on each side. Instead if the enemy does that, and your team shoots the same mech, then next round is 4 slightly damaged mechs vs 3 pristine mechs. After the next round, it will be 4 to 2.

*edited for typos*

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 23 September 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#9 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Its tactics, so therefore situational and likely to change at any time...

Sticking with the rest of your team is a good solid tactic but in the right circumstances splitting up to flank the enemy is even better.

The best strategy is to keep the communication with your team going.. Teamwork = Victory

#10 Mr Andersson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Sticking together is rule number one for any game of this type. There are specific situations where breaking off from the group can be beneficiary for the team, most notably light mechs scouting, but if you are not absolutely sure what you are doing - stay with the group.

#11 Gralzeim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 366 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

The only exception I'd say to this would be if you're using voice comms with your team (or at least your lance, and notify the rest of your team of your plan via team chat). But yeah usually if you're solo dropping it's safest if everyone sticks together, sans lights or fast mediums (Cicadas, Centurions, etc) who run off to scout/cap/pester the back line of the enemy.

When I drop with a buddy and we're both in our Hunchback 4SPs, we don't always stick with the group the whole game (though that doesn't mean we run off at the very start...usually...sometimes you get a banzai mood, but I digress), usually we'll split off after both teams have engaged to swing around to hunt for wounded targets. We're usually on Skype, so there's that voice comms thing.

But I agree that normally in pugs you're better off sticking with your team (or if that fails, your team's assaults/heavies). I do that when I solo drop with my Hunchback or Cataphract; I find an assault who didn't run off by himself at the start, and provide him with supporting fire, help him with faster stuff, etc.

Running off by yourself, if you're not in a very fast and small mech, is usually a really bad idea at the start of a match. I've made that mistake, and it's not fun to round a corner and discover 10 out of 12 of the enemy team facing my direction. Doesn't matter what mech you're in, that's death if you're not fast and small.

That and I agree with the bit about firing on what your teammates are firing on. Forget about getting the kill, you get more cbills for assists, and KDR isn't used for matchmaking purposes.

Edited by Gralzeim, 23 September 2013 - 03:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users