- - - - -

New Player Review And Farewell.

13 replies to this topic

#1 HodorII

Clone

• 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

Started playing a few days ago, asked for advice on forums, good response , decent community

Graphics okay, giant stompy robot fun good range of weapons, limited maps, limited gameplay. all run and stand on cap , or mass brawl seems about it.

Deal-breaker for me in the IRON MAN syndrome, tiny little dudes in metal suits zooming around you at 200 mph, their teeny tiny guns seem to have no problem slicing you open, and you have ZERO chance of hitting them.

Completely ruins the experience for me.

I have tried shooting straight at them.... lasers at 20 feet...moving at the speed of light...nope no hit.

Auto-cannons straight at them leading the shot, nope watched shots go right through their little bodies..

Just do away with the big mechs and make Marvel Super Heros.. DOC Octopus, Iron man , the spiders...let all the little guys/mechs scap away...might be an imorovement..

#2 Jin Ma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

theres a certain technique to shooting light mechs.

have to walk backwards.

But even better. make sure you have teammates around you if you are slow. light mechs can't take crossfire. at all

they have to keep light mechs viable in this game. because if not all everybody would see is assault mechs. and thats what happened in all previous mechwarrior games. and they are not going to spend 1/4 of their resources on content that will just be a stepping stone.

Edited by Jin Ma, 23 September 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#3 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

Jin, it's worth mentioning that hit detection and hit boxes on those little mechs is bad, and that as a new player his trial mech is horribly designed to deal with this problem, and the playerbase isn't big enough to split so he goes up against experienced players. Your video is a nice helpful reminder, but your last paragraph isn't helpful at all.

And that hopefully he can come back and try the game again when it's feature complete, launch 2.0, maybe even with clans!

#4 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

Not surprising, all the current trial mechs are terrible vs fully kitted out lights.

Jenner = too slow, small lasers put it at a big disadvantage vs a mastered Jenner with all ML's
Centurion = SRM hit detection is currently broken so good luck killing lights with just 2 MPL
Dragon = A new player has 0 chance of ever hitting a light with Gauss or keeping their LL's perfectly on target
Atlas = Same as above only now with the added confusion of LRM's!

All of this not even factoring in hit detection issues with lights themselves.

Well, I'd explain how you can easily circumvent this by not getting wolf packed but I'm assuming he's already gone anyway, most new players I've met all quit after a week anyway, oh well.

#5 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, I second that Aym, except the fact that you said that trials suck at hunting lights. (Maybe you didn't know that trials are champion now?) The Centurion can brawl with the lights (press / to open missile doors and shoot), the Jenner can chase after lights for sure (138 kph), and the Dragon can snipe off all their limbs, very fun little thing to have. I just had a game with 6 kills 6 kill assists and almost 1200 damage with the Dragon. However, the Atlas suffers against lights because it can't turn well and basically the only weapons available against them are the lasers. Gauss is from torso, no good. LRM's and their minimum range, no good. Yeah, and maybe he can stay with the game or come back when ****'s fixed. :P

Edit: Once again Haruko: the trials are great as of right now. However, I guess you're right about new players attempting to play 3pv and no arms lock, then maybe they would have tough times. Personally, without arms lock I would be screwed with those mechs too, lol. Oh and Centurion is such a good light hunter, just stick the guns right into them and their screwed when their legs/weapons come off.

Edited by luxebo, 23 September 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#6 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

View Postluxebo, on 23 September 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Yeah, I second that Aym, except the fact that you said that trials suck at hunting lights. (Maybe you didn't know that trials are champion now?) The Centurion can brawl with the lights (press / to open missile doors and shoot), the Jenner can chase after lights for sure (138 kph), and the Dragon can snipe off all their limbs, very fun little thing to have. I just had a game with 6 kills 6 kill assists and almost 1200 damage with the Dragon. However, the Atlas suffers against lights because it can't turn well and basically the only weapons available against them are the lasers. Gauss is from torso, no good. LRM's and their minimum range, no good. Yeah, and maybe he can stay with the game or come back when ****'s fixed. :)

Edit: Once again Haruko: the trials are great as of right now. However, I guess you're right about new players attempting to play 3pv and no arms lock, then maybe they would have tough times. Personally, without arms lock I would be screwed with those mechs too, lol. Oh and Centurion is such a good light hunter, just stick the guns right into them and their screwed when their legs/weapons come off.

Meh, the Cent is ok, I forgot about the Champion Jenny, but the Dragon with arm lock? The RS with arms lock? No good.

#7 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

Yup, key word is with arms lock. Dragon sucks with arms lock in any situation. Atlas can snipe alright, but the slowness kills it.

#8 Joylare Versaris

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

I am playing a commando myself at the minute.
You can tell an experienced player by how they position themselves, I have most issues with players when they manipulate distance of my turn for me-if that makes sense. Though I'm still learning to adjust my throttle on the fly to compensate for that. Also, an obvious point here is.......they also move backwards and COUNTER rotate into my next turn, thats when I usually take a hit or two.

But sorry for this next bit, the op's tone did come across as he expected to rofl smash in his BIG STOMPY mech and seemed a bit peeved that "little" mechs (read:inferior to his BIG mech) and their "teeny tiny" guns (exactly the same guns as any mech can have, ergo does same damage......) I'm sorry but that seems equally as bad attitude as 2nd poster ( if it was at all....).
Just because you are in a bigger mech-does NOT mean you should dominate. We already have MORE than enough assault/heavy mechs in matches.

#9 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:42 AM

My highest KDR is with a spider. My second highest is with a centurion. My third highest is with a highlander. Mech sizes have very little to do with battlefield effectiveness. More important is pilot skill and positioning--something learned by practice and experience. This is not a "GET THE MOST 'SPENSIVE THING AND WIN" game. There's a steep learning curve to being effective in ANY mech, and honestly the assault mechs are the hardest to be good in, despite their cost.

Please don't leave because you can't spend, click, and win. That means this is a GOOD f2p game, and implies much deeper game mechanics than your FOTM FPS. Once you get past the initial "OMG WTF I CANT HEADSHOT" this game is awesome and intriguing. Don't judge on the first few matches, or even hours, of play. The beauty of this game comes out once you can begin customizing and adjusting each mehc to your own individual talents and tendencies, which are not always immediately apparent. In CS2 and TF2, I was always a sniper. In MWO, I'm actually better and hit-and-run harassing and speedy skirmishers. If you can leave your FPS expectations at the door and learn the game, it can be really fun.

#10 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:02 AM

View PostHammerfinn, on 25 September 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

My highest KDR is with a spider. My second highest is with a centurion. My third highest is with a highlander. Mech sizes have very little to do with battlefield effectiveness.

Not to put a dig on you, but those 'mechs represent some of the most forgiving hitboxes in their weight classes...

#11 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 25 September 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

Not to put a dig on you, but those 'mechs represent some of the most forgiving hitboxes in their weight classes...

Yup, and that's probably why they're my best. My point was, though, that assaults are not necessarily the BEST mech around, even if they're the most expensive and usually the highest cbill earners. Just because it's bigger and carries more guns doesn't mean it's going to make you win or net you kills.

#12 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

New players think bigger is better... It is not.

A medium setup correctly is the most forgiving of all the classes.

#13 IntX

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Inner Sphere

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:21 AM

Mycrus said:

A medium setup correctly is the most forgiving of all the classes.

I certainly agree with this statement. My centurion zombie has allowed me to survive my mistakes.

#14 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

OP, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Buy a Jenner or Spider. I think you will find they are harder to play than you think, but after a few hundred matches you will have the skills needed to be deadly and influence a match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users