Ac-20S Should Be Removed From Game

98 replies to this topic

#1 Ashram

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:04 AM

AC-20s do way too much damage in a single hit. No other weapon comes close.

Gauss rifle is only 15 damage and it's much easier to destroy. AC-20s do at least twice the damage then any other weapon besides the Gauss rifle. And most of these other weapons have major drawbacks.
PPC unless they are ER do minor damage up close, and they only do 10 damage at optimum range. Large Lasers do 9 damage but you need to hold that in the same spot for a good 1-2 seconds to do the full amount of damage to one spot. Same for Large pulse lasers, you need all 3 pulses to hit the same spot to do the 10.6 damage.
In short it's a fire and forget weapon that does huge damage in a single shot. Something needs to be done about balance. There is a reason why 90% of heavy/assult mechs carry this weapon, and even alot of medium mechs grab it as well.

#2 HighlandCoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 772 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:05 AM

It also only gets 6 shots per ton and weigh more than any other weapon. Learn to play.

#3 Drehl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 320 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:06 AM

Posted Image

#4 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:09 AM

The ac/20 is balanced by its short range (270 meters), high weight(14 tons), low ammo pr ton ratio(7) and high crit cost (10).

Edited by Snowcrow, 25 September 2013 - 02:10 AM.

#5 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

I absolutely agree. and while we are at it. lets remove every other weapon and replace them with NARC and TAG so that no weapon will ever deal too much damage no matter what you have to sacrifice for it. then all do gooders like HighlandCo cant counter argue that the weapon weighs so much more than any other weapon, it has a very little ammunition (its 7, not 6 per ton btw... but thats a very minor point ;) ) and (what he did not mention) it causes more heat than most weapons (excluding larger energy weapons).

#6 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:15 AM

Stop shooting at Ashram with AC/20s, guys. Or it will be taken away. This is my last warning.

#7 Brut4ce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLand's End

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

View PostAshram, on 25 September 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

AC-20s do way too much damage in a single hit. No other weapon comes close.

Gauss rifle is only 15 damage and it's much easier to destroy. AC-20s do at least twice the damage then any other weapon besides the Gauss rifle. And most of these other weapons have major drawbacks.
PPC unless they are ER do minor damage up close, and they only do 10 damage at optimum range. Large Lasers do 9 damage but you need to hold that in the same spot for a good 1-2 seconds to do the full amount of damage to one spot. Same for Large pulse lasers, you need all 3 pulses to hit the same spot to do the 10.6 damage.
In short it's a fire and forget weapon that does huge damage in a single shot. Something needs to be done about balance. There is a reason why 90% of heavy/assult mechs carry this weapon, and even alot of medium mechs grab it as well.

Posted Image

#8 VXJaeger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:24 AM

Why I'm not suprised to see this thread?

#9 PPO Kuro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 300 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:28 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 25 September 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

Stop shooting at Ashram with AC/20s, guys. Or it will be taken away. This is my last warning.

HECK NO!! I feed on his tears! ;)

But seriously AC20 removal Ashram? See all the points above this post. Range 270 (max 540), 7 rounds per ton of ammo, 6 heat. Try getting near someone that is using medium/long range weapons when using a AC20, it can be a pain. It's perfectly balanced imo, one of the few weapons that is!

The thing ppl complain about...it's amazing. (not really ppl like to complain, I know I do! ;))

Edited by PPO Kuro, 25 September 2013 - 02:36 AM.

#10 Ashram

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:28 AM

Yet everyone who can equip it, carries it into battle. In my last match, of my team of 12, 5 of them had an ac 20. When a weapon is overpowered everyone equips it, that's my point.

#11 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:31 AM

Nerf medium lasers then.

Bet just as many had those as did AC20s.

#12 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:31 AM

View PostVXJaeger, on 25 September 2013 - 02:24 AM, said:

Why I'm not suprised to see this thread?

Because everything is OP and worth getting rid of to some people...

#13 Strayed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:32 AM

Kind of reminds me of stuff like this.

#14 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:33 AM

View PostAshram, on 25 September 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

Yet everyone who can equip it, carries it into battle. In my last match, of my team of 12, 5 of them had an ac 20. When a weapon is overpowered everyone equips it, that's my point.

So you call 5 out of 12 everyone? That's not even majority... It really isn't even half.
did you happen to check how many people had medium lasers... that weapon is so OP, so many mechs use it.

#15 Jaguar Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 219 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:36 AM

Sure, why not.

Thats been the normal trend of things in this game.

I saw it in action tonight. Someone thought something was unfair in game. They complained in chat. Then someone said go to the forums and complain about it. Thats how it starts. Now all it has to do is gain some traction here and boom. Something gets nerfed.

I took a few months off this game to come back to the same bs.

View PostAshram, on 25 September 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

No! everyone doesn't equip it. And your reasoning for calling it overpowered is silly. Everyone carries medium lasers, are they overpowered?

smh, the game IQ of posters on this forum as seriously gone down since closed beta.

#16 Ashram

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:37 AM

View PostCurccu, on 25 September 2013 - 02:33 AM, said:

So you call 5 out of 12 everyone? That's not even majority... It really isn't even half.
did you happen to check how many people had medium lasers... that weapon is so OP, so many mechs use it.

Don't be a fool. 5 out of 12 and not all 12 mech could even carry it, the 12 mechs included lights and mediums, when nearly half your team is sporting an ac20 I think that's saying something. I know of no light mech that can equip an ac20, do you?

#17 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:38 AM

Uh oh.
You seem to be very frustrated.
But lets look at the facts. What are the pros and contras of the different Weapons.
-- Lasers: No ammo + you hit where you point + good weight dmg ratio // insane heat + weak dmg focus abilities + limited range
-- Gauss: high dmg + low heat + good range // funny mechanics + needs Ammo + high tonnage + bulky + easily destroyed + can explode and dmg owner
-- LRM: high range + tracks targets + indirect firing capabilitys + ok wight dmg ratio // heat + dmg distribution + high ammo consumpion + good team to be effective + bulky
-- SRM: decent dmg + good weight dmg ratio + crit seeking // Hot + high ammo consumption + low range + wide spread of dmg + low projektile speed
-- UAC: Insane refire speed + decent dmg + good range // insane Ammo consumption + projektile speed + jams allways when u need them
-- SSRM: Hard lock + decent dmg // hillariously hot + dmg spread + ammo consumption + needs time to lock + needs many launchers/hardpoints to be effective
-- PPCs: no ammo + good range + very good dmg/weight ratio // insane heat output + (standart PPC has minimum range) + projectile speed
-- ACs : weak dmg to weight ratio, need ALOT of ammo to be used effective, slow projektile speeds, AC2 creates insane heat, AC20 is Extremely bulky and vulnerable, slow to be targeted and has no range.

So you see every one of this weapons has their pros and contras. Regarding standart ACs I see no real pros. AC5 has low heat but its refire rate is too slow for me.
AC 10 has a hillarios dmg weight ratio, a pittyfull range and refire rate in addition to a meh projektile speed.
AC2 does a lot of fire and smoke and heat but is not realy effective.
AC20 has a very slow projectile and is extremely bulky. Ammo is realy a problem and your effective range is "I punch u in da face" In fact I thing my Mech could throw explosives faster than this thing is shooting them.

Edit: to make it more understandable
If an enemy Mech can use his AC 20 against you with an effect to speak of, you are either sleeping with open eyes or you ran directly up to him with a sign saying: please shoot me in the face

Edited by The Basilisk, 25 September 2013 - 02:43 AM.

#18 Kitane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:38 AM

OP is spending too much time in light mechs, me thinks. They are the only ones who have a reason to be unhappy about AC20, it's a magnificent light mech swatter.

edit: Raven can equip it. Cicada as well, I've also seen dual AC20 Cicada...

Edited by Kitane, 25 September 2013 - 02:41 AM.

#19 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

so SRM's are overpowered by your logic since 9 out of 12 mechs in most games have SRM's... sheesh...you really should think about what and how you express yourself. Let's add the medium laser to the list too, since 11 of 12 mechs will have at least one medium laser and some mechs have 6 or more. 30 point Alpha is waaaay OP {sarcasm off} Grow up. 2 LPL are better in my opinion than one AC20. Balanced weapons have counters, and everyone can use a AC20 or dual LPL or whatever. Given the AC20 weight/slots and shots/ton, I think the AC20 is balanced just fine, I own 36 mechs, and only about 6 mechs have an AC20 fitted. I bet a good 12-18 of my mechs could fit an AC20, but for a number of reasons, I do not use AC20's on every mech that could.

#20 Ashram

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

View PostKitane, on 25 September 2013 - 02:38 AM, said:

OP is spending too much time in light mechs, me thinks. They are the only ones who have a reason to be unhappy about AC20, it's a magnificent light mech swatter.

edit: Raven can equip it. Cicada as well, I've also seen dual AC20 Cicada...

last I checked Cicada was a medium mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users